Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 29-01-2005, 18:51   #1

Have we diversified or just changed

Now don't get me wrong...but after reading threads for the last 2 years or so, I feel that things are changing on Accy web.

It seems that we have a different attitude, a different type of thread, and a different view point. I'm not against change, and I'm not against improvement, or youthful attitude. But we seem to be moving into a direction of (how can I say), indeterminate everyday soap opinion.

Please correct me if I'm wrong...and I won't complain... but we seem to have lost the thread on our locality. I'm all for the youth of this world airing their opinions on this site, and I for one welcome it as without it we older people won't learn either.

But are we approaching the problems (OK call them Challenges) of our town and its future properly. Now the site is a free-for-all in effect, but it is also a forum where we can air our views and intelligently ask opinions of others.

My question is: Are we achieving anything? or just cackling?
Darby is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 29-01-2005, 19:08   #2
I am Banned

Re: Have we diversified or just changed

i am new hear so i cant speak for the past few years here but i will admit my posts are usualy moaning about somthing or other but thats only because i am annoyed at how the council and other factors are destroying this town and making those who live in its lives more miserable each year

see i told ya i was moaning a lot lately
chav1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2005, 19:35   #3
Resident Waffler

I'm not sure I understand your point properly Darby. Are you saying we post too much about things which have nothing to do with Accrington? Should we limit our discussions to Accrington based topics only? I realise we have some nonsensical threads but personally I enjoy those as they brighten up many a dull day.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2005, 21:52   #4
Senior Member+

Quote:
Please correct me if I'm wrong...and I won't complain... but we seem to have lost the thread on our locality. I'm all for the youth of this world airing their opinions on this site, and I for one welcome it as without it we older people won't learn either.
Could you please clarify the term "older people"
what is your interpretation of an older person

Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.
Albert Einstein.

park381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2005, 21:54   #5
Beacon of light

I am not in a position to comment over what has happened in the last 2 years, but like Willow I enjoy the light heartedness of some of the posts......there are some posts which are serious and throw up moral and ethical issues(like the Euthanasia post).
While these may not be strictly local, they allowed people to explore their own feelings and to listen to and, I hope, respect the viewpoints of others.
While some may say we are cackling, I would say we are communicating...... and not just within narrow social groups or age bands......that has to be good.
Maybe you should have a look at the Hyndburn Life site>
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2005, 21:57   #6
Beacon of light

If we were to narrow the topics to issues which concern only Accrington, then I think it would become quite a boring site because we would be constantly chewing over the same old issues. I think a lot of the younger members would cease to visit as well.
Old 29-01-2005, 21:59   #7
Senior Member+

At the end of the day i think if people did'nt like the thread topic they wouldnt participate.
MUMMIBOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2005, 22:02   #8
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington
If we were to narrow the topics to issues which concern only Accrington, then I think it would become quite a boring site because we would be constantly chewing over the same old issues. I think a lot of the younger members would cease to visit as well.
Oh no don't do that, only joined in Dec 04 but I think it's a great forum, loads of interesting topics, and replies. Every one has their own view point and no one over steps the mark.

Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.
Albert Einstein.

park381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2005, 22:02   #9
Senior Member+

I for one am not from accrington and dont spend a lot of time there, although i do visit when i can mum n dad live there.
But if it was all accrington orientated i would not be able to participate as much as much as i do. (then i would be unhappy).
MUMMIBOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2005, 22:09   #10
God Member

I do agree that there is an increased amount of threads that seem to be posted in inappropriate forums. But I am not sure what you mean about "indeterminate everyday soap opinion", Darby.
Old 29-01-2005, 22:15   #11
Beacon of light

If threads are posted in an inappropriate forum, maybe it is because there is not too much guidance to help newer members. This General Chat forum is supposed to be open for anything, it says 'from dog dirt to giving birth, you will find it here' or something along those lines anyway.
Life is an everyday soap opera anyway. It is good to be able to discuss news topics alongside local issues.
Old 29-01-2005, 22:16   #12
Beacon of light

There is a lot of variety on this web site and it should be applauded and encouraged.
Old 29-01-2005, 22:37   #13
Resident Waffler

Looking back over the past few months I think we've had quite a lot of discussion that is Accy based - most of it probably grumbling about the council, from Peter Britcliffe to wheelie bins. A-b usually brings up some good points from the Observer of which ex-pats may not be aware and locals may simply have missed.

Perhaps some of the threads in General may better belong in Anything Goes but they tend to get missed in there as some people don't wander that far down the forums.

I love this site.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2005, 23:00   #14
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington
It is good to be able to discuss news topics alongside local issues.
I quite agree Margaret, we may live on an island but we don't live in a vacuum and this board reflects that fact. It also demonstrates how everything is connected, in one way or another, to everything else.

As I said earlier though, I am not quite sure what Darby is trying to get at. Is it the triviality of the thread subjects or the frivolousness of some of the replies, or is it both, or neither? It is late , I am confused.
Old 29-01-2005, 23:40   #15
Always EVIL within us

Sorry Darby, I too am confused, but regarding local matters, is it the likes of Britcliffe that is getting to you? Everyone seems to agree that he is a waste of space but in this democratic???? country,we have to bide our time in order to give him the "boot."

In the meantime, we will highlight his attitude to all that view the Accy web and hopefully one day, he will be gone!!

In other countries, he would be arrested, charged and probably have his tongue ripped out..but this is the U.K, so we have to be patient...........(ish)

The comments made on the Accy web surely do not go unnoticed by "big brother?"

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..