Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 30-07-2008, 08:16   #16
Senior Member+

Re: Have you ever thought of selling up?

I love living in East Lancashire and although I have lived in a good many other places, it always feels like home when I'm here. Where I live , I never see any yobs and it suits me fine. Following my separation I could have gone anywhere, but have absolutely no regrets about coming back here.

I know everyone is different, but what you describe Royboy would be my idea of hell.
Old 30-07-2008, 09:58   #17
Resting in Peace

Well I ften though about it whilst I was young, but an't give it to much thought lately for obvious reasons. My youngest daughter and her partner asked me about 12 years ago if it would be a good idea to take a job in the far east, Bangkok at the time, I just said take in with both hands, they have never looked back and he's been promoted twice since, the next move is state side in Boston.
Old 30-07-2008, 09:59   #18
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royboy39 View Post
Selling up and moving to Spain is not as difficult as many people might think.
I walked through Darwen on the night we left and thought 'Are we going to miiss this?' the answer has got to be a resounding 'NO'
Tonight along with my Grandson and my wife, have been along to a beach bar no more that 5 minutes from where we live, bit expensive but
less than you pay in Blackpool.
Smoking....No problem...........Children admitted...No problem.
Relax and enjoy without the threat of yobs.
To use the Spanish 'Moy Contento' is what I feel at the moment and i wish that all the problems will be resolved in Lancashire.
The Spanish Police have a way of dealing with yobs....A SMACK IN THE MOUTH.
And while we are discussing moving ... why not Canada ... not as close as Spaiin, but, what the hell. And a heck of a lot more English. We actually speak a version of the language. I came here on a whim ... it seemed like a good idea at the time .... but no regrets .... it doesn't get any better than here .... but that's just my opinon
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2008, 18:17   #19
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royboy39 View Post
Selling up and moving to Spain is not as difficult as many people might think.
I walked through Darwen on the night we left and thought 'Are we going to miiss this?' the answer has got to be a resounding 'NO'
Tonight along with my Grandson and my wife, have been along to a beach bar no more that 5 minutes from where we live, bit expensive but
less than you pay in Blackpool.
Smoking....No problem...........Children admitted...No problem.
Relax and enjoy without the threat of yobs.
To use the Spanish 'Moy Contento' is what I feel at the moment and i wish that all the problems will be resolved in Lancashire.
The Spanish Police have a way of dealing with yobs....A SMACK IN THE MOUTH.
Sounds great .... but can you get suet
Old 30-07-2008, 18:27   #20
Resting In Peace

i wish we had done it years ago, a bit to long in the tooth now.
tosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2008, 19:39   #21
Passed away 25-11-09

I had thoughts about moving to Malta but my daughter and granddaughter moved in with me, due to circumstances they couldn't control. I couldn't sell up and make them homeless as there was no way my daughter could afford to buy a house here and all the council houses in the village were sold off 20 years ago. They would have had to move to one of the grotty estates in Warrington (and, believe me, they are rough) and I couldn't do that to Laura. I tried to persuade my daughter to move out there with me but she's not keen; crazy - Laura would have a 1st class education (Maltese schools are very, very good), the climate is beneficial and life is less complicated and virtually crime-free.

I console myself with twice yearly visits and, if Ernie ever smiles on me (he flaming well should, he's been sitting on my investment for years and not a sniff of a win) or the Lottery pays out, I will buy a nice flat overlooking the sea at Mellieha and go for 6 months every year.
Old 30-07-2008, 20:11   #22
God Member

Pulling up stakes and moving maybe thousands of kms to a foreign country is a big move ... and it doesn't always work out .... what happens if "it seems like a good idea" turns out to be a disaster .... it's not always a question of being a stranger in a strange land, and even Canada with all its "Englishness" is a foreign country, it's the moving from home, tearing up your roots that is difficult. If you move to Canada for example, you have to change; if you want to live happily in Canada you have to resign yourself to becoming Canadian (which, by the way, is not all that bad). And I suppose it's the same wherever you go.
Old 30-07-2008, 20:27   #23
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
Pulling up stakes and moving maybe thousands of kms to a foreign country is a big move ... and it doesn't always work out .... what happens if "it seems like a good idea" turns out to be a disaster .... it's not always a question of being a stranger in a strange land, and even Canada with all its "Englishness" is a foreign country, it's the moving from home, tearing up your roots that is difficult. If you move to Canada for example, you have to change; if you want to live happily in Canada you have to resign yourself to becoming Canadian (which, by the way, is not all that bad). And I suppose it's the same wherever you go.
yeh got that right mate, ya gotta be prepared to live as the "Natives" too many brits are either too arrogant or too stupid to do that i found.
Old 30-07-2008, 20:45   #24
Passed away 25-11-09

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
yeh got that right mate, ya gotta be prepared to live as the "Natives" too many brits are either too arrogant or too stupid to do that i found.

That's what attracts me to living in Malta. I have several friends who have moved to Spain and who live in "British Colonies" on purpose-built complexes. I would, if I could, live among the Maltese who are a people I like a great deal anyway. I have no time for people who think the natives should conform to their ideals and who are not prepared to integrate.
Old 30-07-2008, 20:49   #25
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by West Ender View Post
That's what attracts me to living in Malta. I have several friends who have moved to Spain and who live in "British Colonies" on purpose-built complexes. I would, if I could, live among the Maltese who are a people I like a great deal anyway. I have no time for people who think the natives should conform to their ideals and who are not prepared to integrate.
we certainly think alike on that west ender.
Old 30-07-2008, 20:56   #26
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
I'll go for that....We lived for seven years in a Spanish barrio....not an Englishman in sight.........I was offered more advice from ex-pats and holidaymakers than I could handle on our not too frequent visits to Brit bars.
Stoke on Trent seems to be a recruiting station for your example.

Blackburn Rovers Supporter Since 1950
Royboy39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2008, 21:03   #27
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
That is why I never fancied moving away, that and the thought of being so far away from my family. Just can't imagine settling and it isn't as if you can just come back, so I will stay here thank you very much
Old 30-07-2008, 21:09   #28
Senior Member+

As a generalisation, I would think that the majority of people who 'dream' of moving to other places are those that have never lived outside of the county, or even 20 miles from where they were born.

That's not meant as a criticism, but when you've lived in a few different places you do see many things in a different light.
Old 30-07-2008, 21:22   #29
Passed away 25-11-09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Monkey View Post
As a generalisation, I would think that the majority of people who 'dream' of moving to other places are those that have never lived outside of the county, or even 20 miles from where they were born.

That's not meant as a criticism, but when you've lived in a few different places you do see many things in a different light.

I haven't lived less than 40 miles from where I was born since 1963 and I lived, for a year, in Saudi Arabia. I'm not a delusional dreamer, just disillusioned with UK.
Old 30-07-2008, 21:28   #30
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by West Ender View Post
Just disillusioned with UK.
Why......................................:confus ed:

Blackburn Rovers Supporter Since 1950
Royboy39 is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..