Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 30-07-2008, 21:39   #31
Passed away 25-11-09

Re: Have you ever thought of selling up?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royboy39 View Post
Why......................................:confus ed:

In no particular order - the weather, crime, the "credit crunch", highest taxes in Europe, Society going to the dogs and - Gordon Brown.
Accrington Web
Old 30-07-2008, 22:07   #32
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
Sounds great .... but can you get suet
Suet....no problem......Don't forget in my younger days I was a butcher in Accy market.....Not too long ago my wife asked a butcher in Darwen market for some shin beef....The butcher who obviously was well up to the job, said and I quote "Shin beef is not produced anymore"....The mind boggles

Blackburn Rovers Supporter Since 1950
Royboy39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2008, 07:01   #33
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by West Ender View Post
In no particular order - the weather, crime, the "credit crunch", highest taxes in Europe, Society going to the dogs and - Gordon Brown.
I never said anyone was a delusional dreamer and I did state that I was generalising, although I do think it's true.

As for the things you list....

the weather - not much different to how it's always been in the UK and many people see having proper seasons as a good thing.
crime - according to official sources, crime is actually falling fast in the UK. Recent figures published for Lancashire showed crime was down by 15%.
the "credit crunch" - is a global issue and not localised to the UK
highest taxes in Europe - but yet standards of living in the UK are higher now than they've ever been, with morbidity and infant mortality rates at all time lows. It can't all be bad.
Society going to the dogs - debatable. And again I don't believe that alot of the so-called anti-social issues are confined to the UK.
Gordon Brown - is an elected official and can be 'unelected' just as quickly. That's democracy.

I'm not getting into an argument here and I'm not really criticising you personally Westender, but I do think that there's developed a constant trend of knocking the UK and so often it's based on incorrect supposition and misinformed opinion.
Old 31-07-2008, 07:28   #34
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royboy39 View Post
Suet....no problem......Don't forget in my younger days I was a butcher in Accy market.....Not too long ago my wife asked a butcher in Darwen market for some shin beef....The butcher who obviously was well up to the job, said and I quote "Shin beef is not produced anymore"....The mind boggles
Indeed it does ... have the cows gone on strike
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2008, 07:45   #35
God Member

The edible bits that people have stopped buying are going into pet food.
That is why birds now eat suet

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2008, 08:18   #36
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Monkey View Post

the weather - not much different to how it's always been in the UK and many people see having proper seasons as a good thing.
crime - according to official sources, crime is actually falling fast in the UK. Recent figures published for Lancashire showed crime was down by 15%.
the "credit crunch" - is a global issue and not localised to the UK
highest taxes in Europe - but yet standards of living in the UK are higher now than they've ever been, with morbidity and infant mortality rates at all time lows. It can't all be bad.
Society going to the dogs - debatable. And again I don't believe that alot of the so-called anti-social issues are confined to the UK.
Gordon Brown - is an elected official and can be 'unelected' just as quickly. That's democracy.
disagree with much of that T.M. (Weather) think its much differant we had proper seasons, sledging etc every winter, proper summers.etc, (Crime) ya can prove owt wi figures, whilst i agree crime is falling, Violent Crime is on the increase, with the officials seem to omit. (credit crunch) agree that is global no question. (Highest Taxes) things are better now in all Europe,but we are obviously over taxed n the fact things are improved does not balance that.(society going to dogs) that to me is without question, having lived abroad fer nearly 3 yrs. (gordon brown) yes can be unelected, but whoever replaces him will be no better from any party. this aint n argument, its just my opinion.
Old 31-07-2008, 16:16   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by West Ender View Post
I had thoughts about moving to Malta but my daughter and granddaughter moved in with me, due to circumstances they couldn't control. I couldn't sell up and make them homeless as there was no way my daughter could afford to buy a house here and all the council houses in the village were sold off 20 years ago. They would have had to move to one of the grotty estates in Warrington (and, believe me, they are rough) and I couldn't do that to Laura. I tried to persuade my daughter to move out there with me but she's not keen; crazy - Laura would have a 1st class education (Maltese schools are very, very good), the climate is beneficial and life is less complicated and virtually crime-free.

I console myself with twice yearly visits and, if Ernie ever smiles on me (he flaming well should, he's been sitting on my investment for years and not a sniff of a win) or the Lottery pays out, I will buy a nice flat overlooking the sea at Mellieha and go for 6 months every year.
Totally agree with you. Malta is certainly on my list of possibilities. The crime rates are soooooo low, the people friendly the weather good and even. You are right about the education standards and people still look after their children. added to all that Malta introduced No Smoking laws long before we did.
polly is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..