Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 16-06-2008, 05:16   #1
God Member

Haz mat suit for sikhs

just read this article on the Daily Telegraph web site about a Sikh police officer who has had problems finding suitable 'haz-mat' saftey equipment (beard and turban)...after 18 months and £100,000s being spent the officer is now on disabilty leave due to stress (guess his/her feelings have been upset)

My question .........why did no one in the Police Force think to send a e-mail to either the Police in Bombay /Delhi/Karachi to ask how they deal with such problems ? or even easier , contact one of the oil companies who operate refineries in that part of the world and ask their health and saftey department how they deal with the problem ....just curious

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/news...er-turban.html
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 16-06-2008, 05:22   #2
God Member

Re: Haz mat suit for sikhs

I think I would be a bit annoyed if I was employed by a company that couldn't provide me with the relevant safety gear.

Why would you give somebody a job who you couldn't accommodate? Oh yes, equal rights and avoiding discrimination.
blazey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2008, 05:36   #3
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazey View Post
I think I would be a bit annoyed if I was employed by a company that couldn't provide me with the relevant safety gear.

Oh, Blazey, Blazey ........the innocence of youth .......see you have Lord Denning as your new avatar and yet you plead for equal rights for all ......this is the guy who said he thought Blacks were unfit to sit on juries ( look up the Bristol case)......God, I wish i could go back to the days when I was so young, naive and innocent
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2008, 05:44   #4
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeljack View Post
Oh, Blazey, Blazey ........the innocence of youth .......see you have Lord Denning as your new avatar and yet you plead for equal rights for all ......this is the guy who said he thought Blacks were unfit to sit on juries ( look up the Bristol case)......God, I wish i could go back to the days when I was so young, naive and innocent
I was actually being sarcastic about equal rights, I don't believe it works at all. Really annoys my liberal friends but it has to be said.

I wrote an essay in the first term saying women should expect to be held back in their careers and in some situations demoted from their positions if their employer believes they can't balance both responsibilities. My feminist tutor decided to give it to another tutor to mark it got a good mark in it too for my first essay!
Old 16-06-2008, 06:07   #5
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazey View Post
I was actually being sarcastic about equal rights, I don't believe it works at all. Really annoys my liberal friends but it has to be said.

I wrote an essay in the first term saying women should expect to be held back in their careers and in some situations demoted from their positions if their employer believes they can't balance both responsibilities. My feminist tutor decided to give it to another tutor to mark it got a good mark in it too for my first essay!
Some how I managed to miss out part of my sentence there. I meant to say women 'starting families'...

there we go...
Old 16-06-2008, 07:23   #6
Resident Waffler

Quote:
Police chiefs decided to let him spend 18 months trying to find new respirators and helmets suitable for Sikhs.
Seems like a back to front way of going about it. Why did they leave it up to him? Presumably there is a company which manufactures these things. Why couldn't they have been contacted and asked if they could produce a suitable alternative? Presumably he won't be the last Sikh who wants to do this. The amount of time and money spent seems totally out of proportion.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2008, 08:23   #7
JFT96

Nice to see our caring Police are concerned about their officers... Hummmm
It would have been easier and fairer, whilst during the interview and selection program for the Police Force to make sure that everyone will be able to use all standard equipment, if not goodbye.

Slightly off topic, I know but, British Airways will not employ you as a Pilot if you are over 1.91 Meters (6 foot 3 inches) as you will not fit inside the flight deck.

What would happen, if in the field of combat his gear gets destroyed, he won't be able just to grab another suit.

Gas masks and Oxygen masks, (the sort we use) are not recommended for people who have beards, because of the lack of a tight fit.

I am sorry but this officer could have become a casualty in the event of an emergency and therefore would not be able to carry out his duties. So transfer him or make him redundant.

Steve Hogarth, lead singer Marillion
Boeing Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2008, 08:51   #8
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boeing Guy View Post
Slightly off topic, I know but, British Airways will not employ you as a Pilot if you are over 1.91 Meters (6 foot 3 inches) as you will not fit inside the flight deck.
The royal navy has similar policies with pilots, and I'm guessing the other types of forces using planes use similar limitations.
Old 16-06-2008, 09:44   #9
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boeing Guy View Post
Nice to see our caring Police are concerned about their officers... Hummmm
It would have been easier and fairer, whilst during the interview and selection program for the Police Force to make sure that everyone will be able to use all standard equipment, if not goodbye.

What would happen, if in the field of combat his gear gets destroyed, he won't be able just to grab another suit.

Gas masks and Oxygen masks, (the sort we use) are not recommended for people who have beards, because of the lack of a tight fit.

I am sorry but this officer could have become a casualty in the event of an emergency and therefore would not be able to carry out his duties. So transfer him or make him redundant.
Spot on their mate. If the Officer in question cannot use the special equipment then he can't do the job. I have never seen a face mask you can use with a beard yet. Anyone wearing one with a beard is not being correctly protected. I have had the same issue at work with a bloke with a beard.
Old 16-06-2008, 09:50   #10
Resident Waffler

There seems to be some indication in the Daily Wail that he could have volunteered to do the job at his own risk like Sikhs did during the war when they didn't wear helmets.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2008, 12:39   #11
God Member

well why did he become a copper in the first place? surely he would have learnt on his training that they didnt have suitable protection for him.....the daft get
flashy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2008, 16:07   #12
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashytart View Post
well why did he become a copper in the first place? surely he would have learnt on his training that they didnt have suitable protection for him.....the daft get
Hear hear, Flashy.
Old 16-06-2008, 16:39   #13
Senior Member+

those damned sikhs!!

at least with muslims they only ask for a compass so they know which way to face as they die...
Old 16-06-2008, 17:39   #14

My view is that all times the best person should get the job, and actually banging on about equality and non descrimination is one of the surest ways to bring it about. Left to it, normal employers want the best person for their job regardless of race,sex,disability etc.

However I also think that there is a feeling in this country that "I am owed a job", rather than getting off your bum and working hard to find one and sticking too it. What happens is people refuse to make any compromise expecting the company to bend over backwards to accomodate them. Guess what...you work for them not the other way around. The company does not exist to give you a job. However in my experience if you work hard its rewarded, sometimes making some adjustments and the company too and everyone gets what they want. So in this case, my opinion the chap had the option of quitting, shaving the beard and not wearing the turban, taking a different job in the police force, or as mentioned finding out what everyone else did

£100,000 :-0 So how many hip replacements, innoculation, school books, overtime hours for police is that ?
banjoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2008, 18:39   #15
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mani View Post
those damned sikhs!!

at least with muslims they only ask for a compass so they know which way to face as they die...

lol dont start
flashy is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..