Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree33Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-07-2012, 16:26   #1

Texas Holdem Poker Champion!
HBC at it again

Would any of our councillors who frequent this website kindly explain how much this pointless, inane, 181 person sample from a 40k population survey cost me?

Hyndburn play area smoke ban wins support (From Lancashire Telegraph)

And then would they please spend this on something a little more relevant, like for instance, the drinking and drug taking problems, or the return of the benches, or decent roadsweepers, or bolstering the flagging market, or replacing the bone idle binmen with ones who actually ensure the rubbish reaches the dustcart etc...etc...etc...

Anyone with half a brain would tell you that smoking around kids is bad, therefore according to this survey 40% of people in Hyndburn are halfwits...the irony here is that 40% is roughly the turnout at local and national elections...go figure
Old 03-07-2012, 17:01   #2
Give, give, give member

Re: HBC at it again

'The survey, undertaken by independent consultants...'

Hyndburn play area smoke ban wins support (From Lancashire Telegraph)

I wonder just how much they were paid, from the tax payers' purse?

What a waste of money.

What happened to common sense, and using your own, logical, judgement?

The only public consultation H.B.C. should be carrying out is one asking whether residents think the council should be supporting Pakistan, in contentious international conflicts.

Though I could save them the time, and money, of carrying out such an exercise.

The vast majority don't.

I was accosted by three nutters today, off their face on drink and/or drugs.

I think tackling Accrington's Maundy Model Village is a much more pressing concern, when it comes to making the borough a safer place to be, for those wandering the streets who aren't high as a kite.

After being accosted whilst doing some shopping, I did look for somewhere to sit and recover...but couldn't find anywhere.

Yes, retro's in.

The eighties are back.

Frankie Says Relax, shoulder pads, ra-ra skirts...loony left councils.

Derek Hatton help us all.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 17:15   #3
Resting in Peace

Now if they employed independent consultants to find out what effect Maundy Village was having on the downward spiral of the town centre that would make sense, providing they acted on the findings
Old 03-07-2012, 17:37   #4
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

I hate non enforceable 'rules' like this will be. I was asked to be part of the survey, I did not take part.

I know who and what is behind it and I personally think they should have stopped as soon as they found out they could not enforce it.

Lets spend the money making the kids play areas a nice place to be and not waste it on this.
Old 03-07-2012, 17:41   #5
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
I hate non enforceable 'rules' like this will be. I was asked to be part of the survey, I did not take part.

I know who and what is behind it and I personally think they should have stopped as soon as they found out they could not enforce it.

Lets spend the money making the kids play areas a nice place to be and not waste it on this.
Spot on Neil, the council should be pro positive and anti negative, then we might get somewhere, but I ain't holding my breath
Old 03-07-2012, 17:56   #6
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Like with the bouncy castles, you make the little darlings take their shoes off. So, before you let the little tykes into the play park, make 'em put their smokes & lighters in an amnesty box & they can pick 'em up on their way out.

Result ?????
Old 03-07-2012, 18:03   #7
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post

Lets spend the money making the kids play areas a nice place to be and nIot waste it on this.
I can't find the 'Like' button.

Old 03-07-2012, 19:19   #8
God Member

I saw the headline for this as I got to the shop this morning. Needless ( or should that be the Accy Town Centre version needles ) to say my blood pressure was set for the day

I've lost all hope of any sanity prevailing in the council chambers these days
Old 03-07-2012, 19:33   #9
God Member

Quote:
Coun Pam Barton, who oversees health issues in the borough said: “I am very keen to see a ban within play parks brought in, as it is just common sense not to smoke in front of children.

"I feel a wider ban on the parks overall would be unworkable though and it’s not necessarily a concern if people are just walking through. Whichever decision the council makes, the public must be fully consulted.”
Interesting last line. Will there be a survey to decide if they are ever going to implement it ?
Old 03-07-2012, 19:42   #10
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post
I saw the headline for this as I got to the shop this morning. Needless ( or should that be the Accy Town Centre version needles ) to say my blood pressure was set for the day

I've lost all hope of any sanity prevailing in the council chambers these days
Probably not wise then, to use the Freedom of Information Act to enquire just how much our council paid this independent consultancy firm, to carry out their vital work.

Deep breath.

Things Can Only Get Better.

So famously sang D:Ream (On).

Last edited by garinda; 03-07-2012 at 19:46.
Old 03-07-2012, 20:00   #11
Common Sense Member

I sincerely doubt that we have spent money on this, it has been looked at through the Communities O&S committee which doesn't have a budget. We've been lobbied recently by an anti-smoking group and it seems more likely that they have done the research and given us the results as they came to give a presentation at the last Cabinet meeting with supporting figures.

A simple FOI request will tell you what you need to know without any spin.

http://hyndburn-labour.blogspot.co.uk/ - Updates from the Hyndburn Labour Group
Ken Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 20:08   #12
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Moss View Post
I sincerely doubt that we have spent money on this, it has been looked at through the Communities O&S committee which doesn't have a budget. We've been lobbied recently by an anti-smoking group and it seems more likely that they have done the research and given us the results as they came to give a presentation at the last Cabinet meeting with supporting figures.

Do many independent consultancy firms do much work for no pay?

I've yet to hear of one.

Perhaps you could name them Councillor?

I'm sure there's plenty of people who'll avail themselves of their no-fee professional services.

Old 03-07-2012, 20:14   #13
Give, give, give member

Quote:
I sincerely doubt
Unless you 'know', any input isn't really much use here, is it?

Sort of like posting guess work...or spin.

I'll eat my jaunty little hat if this consultancy firm used by the council, received no money from the public purse for their efforts.

Old 03-07-2012, 20:16   #14
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

So the health Nazis are shoving it up the smokers again, okay fine, but they should also have a go at the Lardies (for the sake of equality & all that guff) & make sure no ones shoving burgers, chips or even pop down their grids too. Then of course there's those marvellous parents with the potty mouths, how about making sure expletives & cursing are also taken into account.

After all it is about protecting the poor impressionable kidlets .............. isn't it ?

“I am very keen to see a ban within play parks brought in, as it is just common sense not to XXXXXX in front of children."

Her very own words, but just add your personal peeve where the x's are.
Old 03-07-2012, 20:22   #15
God Member

Quote:

the anti smoking group probably asked their mates and thats it.Common decencey dictates that you dont smoke around kids when they are playing in play areas but these anti smoking idiots dont think of that nor do they think about how the play areas are used at night by older kids some of them who will smoke and leave fag ends laying around.Its not as though they are going to get caught at night smoking on the climbing frame i dare say the police have bigger issues.

not a smoker anymore but ill be damned if i change my view that these anti smoking campaigners are facists and want everything their own way or no way at all

personally i would rather the council conduct its own surveys and act on them than take some groups word that they conducted a fair and level survey.If its a stupid and pointless matter then dont do a survey and vice versa if it is.

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

Last edited by accyman; 03-07-2012 at 20:25.
accyman is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..