Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-11-2011, 12:12   #181
Give, give, give member

Re: HBC have taken away the benches from outside the market

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post
In fairness as Neil said he is the only one attempting to answer the question, I can only assume from the answers given I suggest he is only telling us what he has been told and is not directly involved.

But who is involved?

Ken said it was a 'joint decision, influenced by the police'.

Who made the joint decision?

Did P.C. Plod have a word with Noddy, and Big Ears?

Who was it?

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 02-11-2011, 12:58   #182
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
But who is involved?

Ken said it was a 'joint decision, influenced by the police'.

Who made the joint decision?

Did P.C. Plod have a word with Noddy, and Big Ears?

Who was it?
these lads might know mate.
Old 02-11-2011, 16:38   #183
Common Sense Member

I think it's time I mentioned Hitler and put this thread to bed.

Not to ram home the point about people ignoring the facts they have already been given but......

http://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/937122-post82.html

This decision is nothing to do with me although I have no qualms about answering questions on it if I have the facts to give. The facts have been placed right in front of you and you still aren't happy so what exactly do you want me to tell you that would satisfy you? Apparently the police aren't doing their job so you could always try asking them.

Accyweb has all the answers but, like me if Mobertol is to be believed, you are all doing a lot of side-stepping.

What is the solution?

http://hyndburn-labour.blogspot.co.uk/ - Updates from the Hyndburn Labour Group
Ken Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 16:55   #184
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Moss View Post
I think it's time I mentioned Hitler and put this thread to bed.

Not to ram home the point about people ignoring the facts they have already been given but......

http://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/937122-post82.html

This decision is nothing to do with me although I have no qualms about answering questions on it if I have the facts to give. The facts have been placed right in front of you and you still aren't happy so what exactly do you want me to tell you that would satisfy you? Apparently the police aren't doing their job so you could always try asking them.

Accyweb has all the answers but, like me if Mobertol is to be believed, you are all doing a lot of side-stepping.

What is the solution?
Ken, you know I like you, but all I want to know is who authorised the benches removal, so don't take this personally.

Unless it was you, then you can do.

This isn't political.

Cllr. Clare Pritchard was quoted in the paper, but we were told it was nothing to do with her.

Then Dave mentioned a town centre manager, then Gayle posted it can't be them because there currently isn't one.

All I want to know is who is reponsible, so I can contact them directly and say I think it was a daft thing to do.

Yes, what I think is influenced by the fact that I've genuinely used them to sit on, because of mobility issues arising from having Parkinson's disease, whilst the person I was with kindly got the rest of my shopping.

I've honestly never had any trouble with any drunks whilst sat there, nor did I notice any smell of pee.

I don't care who, or what decided to remove them. I just want to know so I can try and pursuade the person/body concerned to put them back, sooner, rather than later.

So I can park my big sorry arse down there again, if needed, along with the many other non-drunks who used them to rest awhile.

Last edited by garinda; 02-11-2011 at 16:58.
Old 02-11-2011, 17:03   #185
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Ken, you know I like you, but all I want to know is who authorised the benches removal, so don't take this personally.

This isn't political.

Cllr. Clare Pritchard was quoted in the paper, but we were told it was nothing to do with her.

Then Dave mentioned a town centre manager, then Gayle posted it can't be them because there currently isn't one.

All I want to know is who is reponsible, so I can contact them directly and say I think it was a daft thing to do.

Yes, what I think is influenced by the fact that I've genuinely used them to sit on, because of mobility issues arising from having Parkinson's disease, whilst the person I was with kindly got the rest of my shopping.

I've honestly never had any trouble with any drunks whilst sat there, nor did I notice any smell of pee.

I don't care who, or what decided to remove them. I just want to know so I can try and pursuade the person/body concerned to put them back, sooner, rather than later.

So I can park my big sorry arse down there again, if needed, along with the many other non-drunks who used them to rest awhile.
...and yes MargaretR, regarding your stupid comment that Parkinson's is a chip on my shoulder, which makes me argumentative.

I've always been this way, when trying to right something that's plainly wrong, but I did mention the fact I have a disease which affects my mobility on this occasion, because it was relevant to the subject being discussed.

Which in this case is the removal of benches, appreciated by many, but removed because of the few.

Last edited by garinda; 02-11-2011 at 17:06.
Old 02-11-2011, 18:00   #186
Resting in Peace

Quote:
I'm sure for some this is no big issue, and a fuss about nothing.

For me, it isn't.

They are on the route we take when we shop in Accrington.

On at least half a dozen occasions I've been happy to sit there. Having needed to rest, or being unable to walk. It's more comfortable to sit, than it is to lean against a wall, when this happens.

I've honestly never sat there with drinkers. It's usually chatty old ladies, who want a natter, in my experience.
To be honest, when I've been down Accy this year on quite a few occasions, I never actually saw any drunks sitting outside the market hall, in fact I actually mentioned to to George at the time
Old 02-11-2011, 18:08   #187
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
To be honest, when I've been down Accy this year on quite a few occasions, I never actually saw any drunks sitting outside the market hall, in fact I actually mentioned to to George at the time
Perhaps people think I'm the drunk, that's always sat there.

Shifty looking, loads of bags...probably full of bottles of meths, shakes a bit...alcohol dependent.

It's me!

I'm the friggin' problem.

That's not pee, by the way.

It's Van Cleef & Arpel cologne.

Old 02-11-2011, 18:08   #188
Resting in Peace

Quote:

This isn't political.

All I want to know is who is responsible, so I can contact them directly and say I think it was a daft thing to do.

I don't care who, or what decided to remove them. I just want to know so I can try and pursue the person/body concerned to put them back, sooner, rather than later.

When is the councillor, who is a member on here, going to take charge of the situation, Clare Pritchard is responsible for the town centre, its no good having all these title then sitting on your hands doing sweet FA, a bit like Nero fiddling while Rome burned
Old 02-11-2011, 18:15   #189
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
When is the councillor, who is a member on here, going to take charge of the situation, Clare Pritchard is responsible for the town centre, its no good having all these title then sitting on your hands doing sweet FA, a bit like Nero fiddling while Rome burned
We've been told it wasn't anything to do with her.

But Clare, if somehow you can pull some strings, and make them magically reappear, I for one woud greatly appreciate it.

As would all the other people who use them, who aren't alcoholics.

They were used, and needed by many.

Old 02-11-2011, 18:57   #190
Resting in Peace

Quote:
We've been told it wasn't anything to do with her.

But Clare, if somehow you can pull some strings, and make them magically reappear, I for one woud greatly appreciate it.

As would all the other people who use them, who aren't alcoholics.

They were used, and needed by many.
Its a bit like the Leaders column in the Obs, he doesn't use that either, strange very strange
Old 02-11-2011, 18:59   #191
Give, give, give member

It's odd really.

Time.

Especially when regarding politicans.

It doesn't seem two minutes since I was posting my distress, at one or other, of the stupid things the council were doing, or planning to do.

Then I was labelled by a few as a 'Labour apologist'. Probably because the council happened to be run by the Tories at the time.

Indeed I got many gleeful messages of support from various Labour councillors, encouraging me to carry on my good work at highlighting various issues.

Now, a mere six months later, dare to criticise a ludicrous decision, and we have a Labour councillor posting that we're all 'doomsayers'.

Well Ken, I can only speak for myself, and not every other single person who's posted their opposition to these benches being removed, but my opinion isn't in the slightest bit politically motivated.

Selfish? Yes, I'll hold my hands up.

I, like others, appreciated being able to sit and rest on those benches.

I don't give two figs which bright spark thought removing them would rid the area of drinkers.

For one thing, no one's got the balls to actually say who was responsible.

Saying it as it is.

It hasn't worked.

The alkies are still in the vicinity.

The only difference is, those who genuinely appreciated the benches being there, miss them.

Old 02-11-2011, 19:06   #192
Give, give, give member

'If' stall holders, or the burger van, complained, why not just move the benches further away from the building?

Problem solved.

As stated earlier, in the seventies there were rows, and rows of benches on this site. Easily accommodating dozens of people, and with no anti-social behaviour.

Where are the benches being stored?

Just reposition them outside the Market Hall.

Everyone's happy.

Old 02-11-2011, 19:11   #193
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
'If' stall holders, or the burger van, complained, why not just move the benches further away from the building?

Problem solved.

As stated earlier, in the seventies there were rows, and rows of benches on this site. Easily accommodating dozens of people, and with no anti-social behaviour.

Where are the benches being stored?

Just reposition them outside the Market Hall.

Everyone's happy.
Perhaps thats too simple?
Old 02-11-2011, 19:15   #194
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Perhaps thats too simple?
Could be Health and Safety issues...with falling conkers.

No, you're right.

Seems simple.

Then again...

Old 02-11-2011, 19:40   #195
Resting in Peace

Thing is ... not only who was the deciding authority in taking them away .. who will give the order to put them back, seeing as it is temporary like ?
katex is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..