Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-11-2011, 08:47   #211
Common Sense Member

Re: HBC have taken away the benches from outside the market

As an aside, this is an example of what I am talking about. I have been asked for direct answers from residents and I am giving you a foolproof guaranteed way of finding out what you want to know.

You still don't trust what I am saying.

Do you see the problem?

http://hyndburn-labour.blogspot.co.uk/ - Updates from the Hyndburn Labour Group
Ken Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 03-11-2011, 08:51   #212
Give, give, give member

When will those who make decisions, on our behalf, grasp a very simple fact?

The ordinary person in the street is much more likely to afford you a little respect, if instead of always covering each other's backs, you occasionally hold your hands up, and admit to not being perfect.

'Sorry, we tried something, it didn't work, we were wrong.'

Instead it's all defensivness, and nasty accusations that anyone who dares criticise any decision, are all 'doomsayers'.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 08:59   #213
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Moss View Post
I don't know who was involved in the discussions but Clare Pritchard was involved at some stage.

On the subject of the Enquiries address, it's a far from being fobbed off as you can get and indeed the councillors themselves use it because it is the best way of logging and following up any complaint. You get a log number and a reply within the hour to tell you where your query has been directed and a guarantee of a reply from a council officer within 7-10 working days. I would always advocate that as the best point of contact for a source of cast iron answers to any problem.

There's really no getting out of it from a council point of view, you MUST be given an answer.
So Cllr. Clare Pritchard is the person most likely to have been involved with this decision, and therefore presumably in a position to authorise their return, and maybe even give a date when they'll be brought back, rather than at some unspecified date in the future?

Thank you.

At last!

It would have been so much easier if you'd named this person much earlier.

Better late than never.

She could have even told us this herself.

Seeing as she was online yesterday...reading this thread.

Cheers.

Old 03-11-2011, 09:02   #214
Common Sense Member

Quote:
Clare Pritchard is responsible for all town centres in the borough but this decision cannot be levelled at her entirely.
I said this on 1st October, over a month ago.

Reading it again I still feel it implies rather heavily which councillor was involved in the discussion process.

Old 03-11-2011, 09:07   #215
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Whilst i see that the drunks were a problem, to me this was a case of "Using a Sledgehammer" to crack a walnut,cos everyone suffers! whilst yeh say it was of no use arresting em,cos they were glad of a meal, perhaps a better way would be to not arrest em, but implement a system that gives em a spot fine. then this system would allow fer the fine to be deducted from there benefits, result- this i'm sure would have more effect on these people, n only the guilty suffer, this i am 100% certain will never happen cos the dogooders will trot out reasons why this aint fair,
Old 03-11-2011, 09:13   #216
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Yeh mean like you used to do wi the observor? on there behalf of course.
Spot on cashy, but it was bloody hard work with the Obs you had to wait 7 days for a reply
Old 03-11-2011, 09:14   #217
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
So Cllr. Clare Pritchard is the person most likely to have been involved with this decision, and therefore presumably in a position to authorise their return, and maybe even give a date when they'll be brought back, rather than at some unspecified date in the future?

Thank you.

At last!

It would have been so much easier if you'd named this person much earlier.

Better late than never.

She could have even told us this herself.

Seeing as she was online yesterday...reading this thread.

Cheers.
Email sent.

Asking they are returned, and enquiring as to the date, when that's likely to be.

If anyone else would like to contact the person who could authorise their return, their contact details are on this link.

Councillors - Clare Pritchard

Old 03-11-2011, 09:16   #218
Resting in Peace

Quote:
I don't know who was involved in the discussions but Clare Pritchard was involved at some stage.

On the subject of the Enquiries address, it's a far from being fobbed off as you can get and indeed the councillors themselves use it because it is the best way of logging and following up any complaint. You get a log number and a reply within the hour to tell you where your query has been directed and a guarantee of a reply from a council officer within 7-10 working days. I would always advocate that as the best point of contact for a source of cast iron answers to any problem.

There's really no getting out of it from a council point of view, you MUST be given an answer.
What do you mean Clare Pritchard was involved at some stage, she SHOULD have been involved at every stage and made the final decision, or is this another thing that's been delegated
Old 03-11-2011, 09:16   #219
God Member

One solution is to provide far more benches and for the police to move the drunks to the ones furthest away from the stalls.

Then everybody gets a chance to sit and the nuisance drunks will be segregated from the civilised population.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 09:17   #220
Common Sense Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Whilst i see that the drunks were a problem, to me this was a case of "Using a Sledgehammer" to crack a walnut,cos everyone suffers! whilst yeh say it was of no use arresting em,cos they were glad of a meal, perhaps a better way would be to not arrest em, but implement a system that gives em a spot fine. then this system would allow fer the fine to be deducted from there benefits, result- this i'm sure would have more effect on these people, n only the guilty suffer, this i am 100% certain will never happen cos the dogooders will trot out reasons why this aint fair,
An excellent suggestion Cashy and I will put it to the Town Centre Regeneration panel.

Not to put a downer on it but I am led to believe that many of those who are causing the problem are vagrants of no fixed abode (or 'tramps' as we used to be able to call them in days gone by). Spot fines are useless because such people have no money to give and it costs more to process the wretched paperwork than would ever be recovered. Very frustrating.

The regrettable obvious answer would be for people to stop giving them money but it's a rather heartless thing to try and suggest to the public at large as a solution and certainly not something I would advocate.

Old 03-11-2011, 09:19   #221
Give, give, give member

Quote:
I said this on 1st October, over a month ago.

Reading it again I still feel it implies rather heavily which councillor was involved in the discussion process.
No, you didn't make that clear at all.

You posted it was a 'joint decision, influenced by the police'.

Now we know. Thank you.

Though I do feel if someone did have the gumption to say who was reponsible, we could have tried to rectify this weeks ago, by contacting the right person, directly.

Old 03-11-2011, 09:20   #222
Common Sense Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
What do you mean Clare Pritchard was involved at some stage, she SHOULD have been involved at every stage and made the final decision, or is this another thing that's been delegated
John, don't twist my words mate, I wasn't there. I'm fairly certain this was not one person's decision, it is far more likely to have been a committee decision or something agreed by consensus during discussion with various people.

Like I said, send an email to the Enquiries address and you will get an immaculate response detailing all the facts you request without any political spin on it whatsoever.

I really can't be any more open than that.

Old 03-11-2011, 09:21   #223
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
One solution is to provide far more benches and for the police to move the drunks to the ones furthest away from the stalls.

Then everybody gets a chance to sit and the nuisance drunks will be segregated from the civilised population.
You probably remember, as I do, there used to be rows and rows of benches here, in the past.

Dozens happily sat there.

No drunks.

No trouble.

Old 03-11-2011, 09:22   #224
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
An excellent suggestion Cashy and I will put it to the Town Centre Regeneration panel.

Not to put a downer on it but I am led to believe that many of those who are causing the problem are vagrants of no fixed abode (or 'tramps' as we used to be able to call them in days gone by). Spot fines are useless because such people have no money to give and it costs more to process the wretched paperwork than would ever be recovered. Very frustrating.

The regrettable obvious answer would be for people to stop giving them money but it's a rather heartless thing to try and suggest to the public at large as a solution and certainly not something I would advocate.
I know a few of em Ken n they are on benefits those i know at least.
Old 03-11-2011, 09:24   #225
Give, give, give member

Quote:
John, don't twist my words mate, I wasn't there. I'm fairly certain this was not one person's decision, it is far more likely to have been a committee decision or something agreed by consensus during discussion with various people.

Like I said, send an email to the Enquiries address and you will get an immaculate response detailing all the facts you request without any political spin on it whatsoever.

I really can't be any more open than that.
Odd.

That the councilor you've now named, read this thread yesterday.

But declined to offer any advice, by posting in it, so we could try and get this problem resolved.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..