Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 30-09-2011, 17:40   #16
Resting in Peace

Re: Untidy Hyndburn - Please Post Your Pictures

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
Exactly as I thought!

Never mind, we've a fair few members from Hyndburn's ruling party on here. I'm sure they'll explain.
Don't hold your breath Wyn, there's only one who will stick their toe in the water, if its not too warm that is
Old 30-09-2011, 20:17   #17
God Member

Re: Untidy Hyndburn - Please Post Your Pictures

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
I honestly can't believe H.B.C. have done such a stupid thing, and for such a ludicrous reason.
It would be more interesting to find out if the tail is wagging the dog in this one
Old 30-09-2011, 20:45   #18
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Re: HBC have taken away the benches from outside the market

If people are drinking is this not a police issue?

I wonder who I talk to about re-homing those benches, I know a perfect spot for them
Old 30-09-2011, 20:50   #19
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
If people are drinking is this not a police issue?

I wonder who I talk to about re-homing those benches, I know a perfect spot for them
I think I've asked before but at what point does the Market boundary become the public footpath. ?
Old 30-09-2011, 21:16   #20
Beacon of light

I read somewhere that one Conservative councillor stated that it was 'a daft move as the area is a no alcohol zone'.........but it isn't any good sticking up the notices and doing nothing about the people who are infringing the no alcohol law.
Start taking the booze off these folk and making them move on might be a better way.
The benches being moved is a 'temporary' measure to see if it makes any difference....or at least that is what I was told.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2011, 21:20   #21
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
I read somewhere that one Conservative councillor stated that it was 'a daft move as the area is a no alcohol zone'.........but it isn't any good sticking up the notices and doing nothing about the people who are infringing the no alcohol law.
Start taking the booze off these folk and making them move on might be a better way.
The benches being moved is a 'temporary' measure to see if it makes any difference....or at least that is what I was told.
It was a no-alchohol zone when the Tories were in charge too, they did nothing either. People can argue it's a police issue but surely the council whoever is in charge should be pressing the police to sort it out.
Old 30-09-2011, 21:20   #22
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Yes it will make a difference.

I'll make less trips to shop in Accrington.

The undesirables will simply find another place to sit. Such as by St. James church.

Or are those seats to be removed as well?

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2011, 21:24   #23
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
The undesirables will simply find another place to sit. Such as by St. James church.

Or are those seats to be removed as well?
Correct, they do. Of course if the council is to be consistent they will have to remove those benches. Or maybe the council as such didn't make the decision
Old 30-09-2011, 21:25   #24

Has this thread merged?, cause I can see posts from 2 different threads. And does not read right...
odders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2011, 21:25   #25
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Seems to be a typically bureaucratic approach to things, despite knowing what/who the problem is the authorities take the easy option & pussyfoot around the edges instead of dealing with the issue (is it because they've got rights ? For some reason I'm having visions of Ostriches)

A link to the Criminal Justice and Police Act 2001 http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2001/16/section/13

Last edited by Neil; 30-09-2011 at 23:23. Reason: add description to link
DaveinGermany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2011, 21:26   #26
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by odders View Post
Has this thread merged?, cause I can see posts from 2 different threads. And does not read right...
It's been split from another thread
Old 30-09-2011, 21:30   #27
Beacon of light

Yes, G....I know it will make a difference to the people who need a sit down during their shopping trips, but I think the kind of difference they(HBC) are looking for, is to make it harder for the drinkers....or more uncomfortable for them.....so that they will be forced to look for somewhere else.
I suppose the peace Garden up Church Street would take them away from the main shopping area.......and if they went there, I would think HBC would see the removal of the benches as something of a success.

It is unlawful to be drinking alcohol in that area. The simplest way to prevent that is to ensure the area is policed, the law upheld, and those who are drinking alcohol are carted away.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2011, 21:33   #28

Cheers, will now re-type what I wrote. Bloody good thing that preview post button. I thought the site was having a benny

And I had , too much.

Thanks again.
odders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2011, 21:39   #29
Super Moderator

Quote:
It is unlawful to be drinking alcohol in that area. The simplest way to prevent that is to ensure the area is policed, the law upheld, and those who are drinking alcohol are carted away.
Exactly, and it's also a public order offence to use foul language. So why haven't the council made the strongest representations possible to the police to come down hard on this scum and make life so unpleasant for them that they don't want to come into town?

There have been two Labour councillors on this forum in the last half hour. Why haven't they appeared on this thread, explaining the thinking behind this move?
Old 30-09-2011, 21:40   #30
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Yes, G....I know it will make a difference to the people who need a sit down during their shopping trips, but I think the kind of difference they(HBC) are looking for, is to make it harder for the drinkers....or more uncomfortable for them.....so that they will be forced to look for somewhere else.
I suppose the peace Garden up Church Street would take them away from the main shopping area.......and if they went there, I would think HBC would see the removal of the benches as something of a success.

The drinkers already occasionally sit on the benches by the church on Church Street.

They will find somewhere else to sit.

Innumerous times I've had to sit there, outside the Market Hall.

Well yes, whichever idiot thought that by removing the benches that it would make people magically disappear, you've half succeeded.

The drinkers will still be in the vicinity, but I won't be shopping there.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..