Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-11-2011, 22:46   #346
Super Moderator

Re: HBC have taken away the benches from outside the market

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taggy View Post
I'm honestly not so sure that's true these days to be honest!...You only have to look at the news or read papers to see this situation happening in many places...well in many places that don't really matter to the political powers that be should i say!..Basically what i'm saying is that Hyndburn is a dead hole these days as are many..predominantly Northern towns...if we don't matter to them....then they don't give a fig about us!....Its ultimately about resourses & appathy!

Best Regards - Taggy
Tell you what then, come to Stockport, another Northern town, sit down in the town centre, crack open a can and see what happens. I can tell you what because I've seen it - the cops will be along sharpish, they'll take your name and address and they'll have all your booze off you.

This "it's down to politically correct Britain, so there's nothing to be done about it" stuff don't wash with me. The authorities in Hyndburn CAN do something about it...but is the will there?
Old 04-11-2011, 22:51   #347
Give, give, give member

Quote:
I'm honestly not so sure that's true these days to be honest!...You only have to look at the news or read papers to see this situation happening in many places...well in many places that don't really matter to the political powers that be should i say!..Basically what i'm saying is that Hyndburn is a dead hole these days as are many..predominantly Northern towns...if we don't matter to them....then they don't give a fig about us!....Its ultimately about resourses & appathy!

Best Regards - Taggy
I certainly believe you, but quiet honestly I've never seen and alkies there, Tuesday, and Saturday afternoons, sometime after 2 pm.

Perhaps they all run off.

First sight of me shuffling towards 'em.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 23:20   #348
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
Tell you what then, come to Stockport, another Northern town, sit down in the town centre, crack open a can and see what happens. I can tell you what because I've seen it - the cops will be along sharpish, they'll take your name and address and they'll have all your booze off you.

This "it's down to politically correct Britain, so there's nothing to be done about it" stuff don't wash with me. The authorities in Hyndburn CAN do something about it...but is the will there?
I personally know of two or three people who's drug related problems started in Stockport, so don't try & tell me that that place is anything like a progressive town!..We all see things as we want to from time to time!

Best Regards - Taggy
Taggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 23:27   #349
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
I certainly believe you, but quiet honestly I've never seen and alkies there, Tuesday, and Saturday afternoons, sometime after 2 pm.

Perhaps they all run off.

First sight of me shuffling towards 'em.

I think it could be a case of those poor unfortunate lovelies have had their needs satisfied by certain people by that time!...Either that or they're out robbing some poor sod!

Best Regards - Taggy
Old 04-11-2011, 23:34   #350
Super Moderator

Quote:
I personally know of two or three people who's drug related problems started in Stockport, so don't try & tell me that that place is anything like a progressive town!..We all see things as we want to from time to time!

Best Regards - Taggy
I didn't say it was a "progressive" town (whatever one of those is).

What I said was, if you start boozing in Stockport centre, the cops will be on the case quite quickly and will take your booze away - and the same goes for Manchester too. That's not something I've imagined, Taggy, I've seen it happen on numerous occasions.

When the cops move the problem drinkers on in Accy centre, do they take their booze off them? If they don't, then I would've thought the council should be raising this with the police liaison committee.
Old 04-11-2011, 23:35   #351
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:

Best Regards - Taggy
which is sod all to do wi drinking in the town centre Taggy, never read were it was said Stockport is progressive? just the fact that law deal wi the drinkers.
Old 04-11-2011, 23:42   #352
Senior Member+

What i'm saying is that Stockport has a hell of a lot of problems too, so can hardly be held up as any kind of shining light!!..I know that coz my daughter lived there!

Best Regards - Taggy
Old 04-11-2011, 23:45   #353
Senior Member+

We see reports in the "local" press every week about alcohol being taken away from individuals too...doesn't mean we havn't got a problem does it!

Best Regards - Taggy
Old 04-11-2011, 23:45   #354
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
What i'm saying is that Stockport has a hell of a lot of problems too, so can hardly be held up as any kind of shining light!!..I know that coz my daughter lived there!

Best Regards - Taggy
he wasn't saying that, i lived in Reddish 11 yrs ago n am aware of the problems yon.
Old 04-11-2011, 23:48   #355
Super Moderator

Quote:

Best Regards - Taggy
I'm not holding it up as a "shining light". It's got all the problems of any British town in the 21st century - drugs, crime etc...and they don't even have a football league club! What I'm saying is, you don't see groups of lowlives openly boozing in the town centre like you do in Accy, because the authorities have got to grips with that particular problem. As far as I can see, they've got to grips with it by the simple step of taking the booze off the boozers.

Why can't the authorities in Accy get to grips with it?
Old 04-11-2011, 23:48   #356
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
he wasn't saying that, i lived in Reddish 11 yrs ago n am aware of the problems yon.
Hes basically saying that Stockport is dealing with the problem better...I'm quite honestly doubting that Cashy!!
Best Regards - Taggy
Old 04-11-2011, 23:51   #357
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Hes basically saying that Stockport is dealing with the problem better...I'm quite honestly doubting that Cashy!!
Best Regards - Taggy
The problem of drinkers yeh, as are quite a few other places Taggy.
Old 04-11-2011, 23:52   #358
Super Moderator

Quote:
Best Regards - Taggy
It is dealing with that problem better and the proof of the pudding is in the eating - go into Stockport centre, you'll see groups of chavs and all sorts of dodgy looking characters. You won't see 'em boozing though because they know they'll lose their booze!
Old 04-11-2011, 23:55   #359
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
I'm not holding it up as a "shining light". It's got all the problems of any British town in the 21st century - drugs, crime etc...and they don't even have a football league club! What I'm saying is, you don't see groups of lowlives openly boozing in the town centre like you do in Accy, because the authorities have got to grips with that particular problem. As far as I can see, they've got to grips with it by the simple step of taking the booze off the boozers.

Why can't the authorities in Accy get to grips with it?
Its a case of where you are in town at any given time!..Many times i read the "accrington" observer & read reports of how much alocohol is taken off the streets by police from youths or problem drinkers!..So its not like they are doing nowt!..Maybe there's a difference in the "areas" that police target in different towns & at different times!..As i say my daughter lived just on the outskirts of Stockport & i can tell you, that was n area just as bad if not worse than i've experienced in Accrington!

Best Regards - Taggy
Old 05-11-2011, 00:02   #360
Super Moderator

Quote:
Its a case of where you are in town at any given time!..Many times i read the "accrington" observer & read reports of how much alocohol is taken off the streets by police from youths or problem drinkers!..So its not like they are doing nowt!..Maybe there's a difference in the "areas" that police target in different towns & at different times!..As i say my daughter lived just on the outskirts of Stockport & i can tell you, that was n area just as bad if not worse than i've experienced in Accrington!

Best Regards - Taggy
The outskirts? You can't stop problem drinking in every area of any town - they're just aren't enough resources to do it! But I thought this whole argument was about the group(s) of boozed up lowlives who infest the town centre during the day and make life unpleasant for shoppers and visitors to the town? What I'm saying is that other towns have dealt with the problem more successfully than Hyndburn have. Why can't the council ask other boroughs for advice on how to deal with it?

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..