Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-11-2011, 23:05   #361
Senior Member+

Re: HBC have taken away the benches from outside the market

To be honest i now have to agree with some earlier posters in saying that this subject is starting to get blown out of proportion!..I'm probably guilty of helping that!

But How many people on here actually feel "unsafe" in going into town?..Which is where this discussion is leading...Well during the day, i certainly don't...certainly not any less safe than Blackburn for instance!..Maybe at night that's a different question..but equally that applies to Accrington, Blackburn or Stockport!

And i suppose if we get back to the original question of benches/seating..how many benches are there in Blackburn town centre at the moment?

Best Regards - Taggy
Taggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 04-11-2011, 23:10   #362
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
The outskirts? You can't stop problem drinking in every area of any town - they're just aren't enough resources to do it! But I thought this whole argument was about the group(s) of boozed up lowlives who infest the town centre during the day and make life unpleasant for shoppers and visitors to the town? What I'm saying is that other towns have dealt with the problem more successfully than Hyndburn have. Why can't the council ask other boroughs for advice on how to deal with it?
I think by & large that other councils..if they have actually managed to control things in the Town Centre..have simply shifted the problem elsewhere into more residential areas!..Now do you honestly think that's solving the problem?

Best Regards - Taggy
Old 04-11-2011, 23:10   #363
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taggy View Post
To be honest i now have to agree with some earlier posters in saying that this subject is starting to get blown out of proportion!..I'm probably guilty of helping that!

But How many people on here actually feel "unsafe" in going into town?..Which is where this discussion is leading...Well during the day, i certainly don't...certainly not any less safe than Blackburn for instance!..Maybe at night that's a different question..but equally that applies to Accrington, Blackburn or Stockport!

And i suppose if we get back to the original question of benches/seating..how many benches are there in Blackburn town centre at the moment?

Best Regards - Taggy
It's not a question of feeling unsafe, it's more about the town centre's appeal being tainted by boozed up, foulmouthed scum hanging around. As for seating, well, there were some seats in front of the market hall, but the ordinary public have now been deprived of those because the authorities couldn't tackle the aforesaid scum!
Old 04-11-2011, 23:16   #364
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

I certainly don't feel unsafe anywhere, but thats not the issue to me, at the risk of repeating, its a sledgehammer to crack a walnut, everyone the elderly n disabled suffer, whilst the drunks just moved elsewhere, that to me is the police not doing there job, also it aint nice to walk past these people who use colourful language, when yeh got yer missus wi yeh, whilst people say cutbacks,lack of resource, i say hogwash,we got cctv use it, simple.
Old 04-11-2011, 23:19   #365
Super Moderator

Quote:
I think by & large that other councils..if they have actually managed to control things in the Town Centre..have simply shifted the problem elsewhere into more residential areas!..Now do you honestly think that's solving the problem?

Best Regards - Taggy
That's you surmising, but I doubt you've any proof of it. Do you find it so difficult to accept that Hyndburn Council just may have a little bit to learn from other towns about how to at least attempt to tackle this problem?
Old 04-11-2011, 23:20   #366
Senior Member+

Quote:
It's not a question of feeling unsafe, it's more about the town centre's appeal being tainted by boozed up, foulmouthed scum hanging around. As for seating, well, there were some seats in front of the market hall, but the ordinary public have now been deprived of those because the authorities couldn't tackle the aforesaid scum!
Yes but that's Accrington in General now...not just the Town Centre is it!...Go and have a look around any area in Accrington..& you will see that type of scum!!..The Bench problem has become just a symtom of a more major problem ..not just in Accrington but society!!

OK for a daft comparrison ..look at the proposed attempts to completly dredge the cockle beds off Lytham..just because illegal fishermen are coming in to take the cockles & deprive genuine people of their income!..Blooming stupid..but that seems to be how "modern" society deals with things, penalise the genuine to punish the idiots......i could go on & on!

Best REgards - Taggy
Old 04-11-2011, 23:23   #367
Senior Member+

Quote:
That's you surmising, but I doubt you've any proof of it. Do you find it so difficult to accept that Hyndburn Council just may have a little bit to learn from other towns about how to at least attempt to tackle this problem?
Well yes..i've got the proof of my eyes & experience..you say Stockport Town Centre has sorted the problem....well i'm telling you from experience the outskirts are a nightmare!

Best Regards - Taggy
Old 04-11-2011, 23:25   #368
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

But it is the town centre Taggy, these drunks being yon, aint exactly been encouraging to visitors, have they? therefore local traders suffer, a town centre is were people come n people shop.
Old 04-11-2011, 23:26   #369
Super Moderator

Quote:
Yes but that's Accrington in General now...not just the Town Centre is it!...Go and have a look around any area in Accrington..& you will see that type of scum!!..The Bench problem has become just a symtom of a more major problem ..not just in Accrington but society!!

OK for a daft comparrison ..look at the proposed attempts to completly dredge the cockle beds off Lytham..just because illegal fishermen are coming in to take the cockles & deprive genuine people of their income!..Blooming stupid..but that seems to be how "modern" society deals with things, penalise the genuine to punish the idiots......i could go on & on!

Best REgards - Taggy
Nope, don't accept this "it's the way modern society is" excuse for HBC's hamfisted attempt to tackle the towncentre drinkers by punishing the innocent with the guilty by depriving all of the amenities. However, we'll have to agree to disagree on this one, Taggy, as I need to get some shuteye. I'm coming up to Accy tomorrow and I want to get there early, or else I might not find a place to sit down!
Old 04-11-2011, 23:28   #370
Super Moderator

Quote:
Well yes..i've got the proof of my eyes & experience..you say Stockport Town Centre has sorted the problem....well i'm telling you from experience the outskirts are a nightmare!

Best Regards - Taggy
Well, I live on the outskirts and I've not found it a "nightmare"...yet!
Old 04-11-2011, 23:32   #371
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
I certainly don't feel unsafe anywhere, but thats not the issue to me, at the risk of repeating, its a sledgehammer to crack a walnut, everyone the elderly n disabled suffer, whilst the drunks just moved elsewhere, that to me is the police not doing there job, also it aint nice to walk past these people who use colourful language, when yeh got yer missus wi yeh, whilst people say cutbacks,lack of resource, i say hogwash,we got cctv use it, simple.
Can't argue wi what you say Cashy!..But also at an attempt to be realistic..just have a look at Blackburn for example...how much seating (free seating) do they currently provide?.......Compared to Accrington i'd say not much at all!..We do have seats on Broadway, & in the Market Hall!!..All we are talking about here are a couple of benches!!!!!!!..Yes agreed its the wrong way forward...but my God, is it really such a big issue?

Best Regards - Taggy
Old 04-11-2011, 23:42   #372
Senior Member+

Quote:
Well, I live on the outskirts and I've not found it a "nightmare"...yet!
Twas quite rough in some areas between Heaton Moor & Heaton Chapel last time i was there!

Best Regards - Taggy
Old 04-11-2011, 23:51   #373
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
But it is the town centre Taggy, these drunks being yon, aint exactly been encouraging to visitors, have they? therefore local traders suffer, a town centre is were people come n people shop.
Sorry Cashy but if we are just talking about the Benches again...then. no i don't actually believe that's putting people off coming into Accrington Town Centre!..What i do believe that's putting people off coming into Accrington these days..is that Accrington itself...in fact Northern England in general. is becoming full of low life's because of the decline in investment in the area..bigger question i know!

Put it this way...if you were an independant trader wanting to set up...what say a market business today in a North West Town..i'd love you to tell me, what that buiness would be..& in which Town you'd set up in?...I'd be ruddy lost to come up with an answer!

Best Regards - Taggy
Old 05-11-2011, 05:11   #374
God Member

There's only 1 bench in Blackburns new market now and about 5 in the Mall, about 3 near Mcdonalds/HMV and a few on Church street and there's still a couple left near the old Market where the 'can people' sit
flashy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 06:42   #375
Give, give, give member

Quote:
no i don't actually believe that's putting people off coming into Accrington Town Centre!.
Well since I'm not in the habit of telling lies, there's at least one, plus his mother.

Who, health permitting, don't now always shop in Accrington twice a week, as we did.

I've admitted my reasons are selfish, because I've genuinely been grateful to sit there, on at least half a dozen occasions.

The only time we've ever had a problem with drinkers, was when we were shouted at by some, who were acting the fool, whilst sat on the benches in Church St.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..