Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-11-2011, 06:54   #376
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Re: HBC have taken away the benches from outside the market

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
.........Nope, don't accept this "it's the way modern society is" excuse for HBC's hamfisted attempt to tackle the towncentre drinkers by punishing the innocent with the guilty by depriving all of the amenities.
I actually feel a little sorry for HBC. I suspect this course of action by them is an attempt by the Council to deal with a problem that really should be dealt with by the police.

Members of the public breaking the law is a police issue not a council issue in most cases.

Look at the buses only bit of road in front of the town hall. The police dont do anything about the cars and vans that drive down that road - even the police drive down it themselves. The talk about opening the road up again looks to me like a council way of dealing with the police not enforcing the law again.
Old 05-11-2011, 07:49   #377
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
I actually feel a little sorry for HBC. I suspect this course of action by them is an attempt by the Council to deal with a problem that really should be dealt with by the police.

Members of the public breaking the law is a police issue not a council issue in most cases.

Look at the buses only bit of road in front of the town hall. The police dont do anything about the cars and vans that drive down that road - even the police drive down it themselves. The talk about opening the road up again looks to me like a council way of dealing with the police not enforcing the law again.
I agree neil it should be the police, at the same time the police never made the descision to remove em though, n thats very poor in my view,
Old 05-11-2011, 07:55   #378
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Damned if they do damned if they don't is something I have been saying for years about HBC. If those that should don't, then someone else ends up trying to sort the problem out.
Old 05-11-2011, 08:01   #379
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Damned if they do damned if they don't is something I have been saying for years about HBC. If those that should don't, then someone else ends up trying to sort the problem out.
True but the police aren't voted in,therefore it ends up wi those that were, which don't detract from the fact it was a daft way of sorting the problem, so the council should hold there hands up n restore em in my view.
Old 05-11-2011, 08:11   #380
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Although I still wouldn't agree with their removal, as I don't think it addresses the real problem, we are told the benches are to be returned, at some, as yet, unspecified date in the future.

I honestly don't see any logic in that.

As it is just a short term solution, to one specific site, when the problem with drinkers isn't confined to one place. They also create a nuisance in Church St., on Broadway, and as Busman posted, in Peel St.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 08:33   #381
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinGermany View Post
Quite agree, there are laws governing & controlling this type of anti social behaviour but they aren't being adequately & vigorously applied. I'm pretty sure that if I did some kind of anti social behaviour over here the GCP (German Plod) would have some rather pertinent comments to make backed up with a rap from his truncheon & if I continued the belligerence it'd be guns & cuffs & off to the pokey to reflect on my errant ways.
Hell Dave you can't do that here mate law and behold, there are lawyers making millions milking the human rights of these poor misguided souls, funny really that nobody ever thinks of the rights of say Rindi, who only wants to sit down and have a rest whilst going about his daily business, well it now appears he is doing his daily business elsewhere, and stuck two fingers up the the bench nickers
Old 05-11-2011, 08:44   #382
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Although I still wouldn't agree with their removal, as I don't think it addresses the real problem, we are told the benches are to be returned, at some, as yet, unspecified date in the future.

I honestly don't see any logic in that.

As it is just a short term solution, to one specific site, when the problem with drinkers isn't confined to one place. They also create a nuisance in Church St., on Broadway, and as Busman posted, in Peel St.
The bottom line is Rindi, that removing these benches is, as a comperison, like somebody sweeping the dirt under the carpet, the dirts still there, but it looks cleaner
Old 05-11-2011, 08:46   #383
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
True but the police aren't voted in.....

We expect them to do their job though
Old 05-11-2011, 08:50   #384
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
We expect them to do their job though
Perhaps a poor choice of word? We "Hope" they do there job.
Old 05-11-2011, 08:59   #385
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taggy View Post
Twas quite rough in some areas between Heaton Moor & Heaton Chapel last time i was there!

Best Regards - Taggy
That's the posh bit, Taggy! I live in Heaton Mersey and the only hooligan around these parts is me!
Old 05-11-2011, 09:03   #386
Resting in Peace

Quote:
That's the posh bit, Taggy! I live in Heaton Mersey and the only hooligan around these parts is me!
Take it your the only Stanley fan around yon then Wyn
Old 05-11-2011, 09:09   #387
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Take it your the only Stanley fan around yon then Wyn
No chance! Lew Carroll, our esteemed merchandising manager lives just up the road. We're here, we're there...
Old 05-11-2011, 09:15   #388
Resting in Peace

Quote:
No chance! Lew Carroll, our esteemed merchandising manager lives just up the road. We're here, we're there...
Ya everywhere but the Crown on a Saturday afternoon
Old 05-11-2011, 09:19   #389
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Ya everywhere but the Crown on a Saturday afternoon
Below the belt, that one, Jay.
Old 05-11-2011, 09:29   #390
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Well since I'm not in the habit of telling lies, there's at least one, plus his mother.

Who, health permitting, don't now always shop in Accrington twice a week, as we did.

I've admitted my reasons are selfish, because I've genuinely been grateful to sit there, on at least half a dozen occasions.

The only time we've ever had a problem with drinkers, was when we were shouted at by some, who were acting the fool, whilst sat on the benches in Church St.
Gary i'm certainly not saying anyone is telling lies, & as i say myself & pretty much everyone from what i can see, agree's the decision is the wrong one, & perhaps i'm using a very broad stoke in describing things, as i accept if you say its putting you off coming to Accrington town centre, then it must be.

However leaving the removal to one side for the moment then, where is it where you are going to shop in the locality now, that provides more free seating than Accrington town centre. I don't really know of anywhere, so i'm trying to draw a comparison between other towns.

Best Regards - Taggy
Taggy is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..