Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 30-09-2011, 22:39   #46
Give, give, give member

Re: HBC have taken away the benches from outside the market

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Don't be too harsh.

Because of the softly, softly approach taken by Maundy Grange,...

'Now do remember, that money's for electricity, to keep your sick granny warm, and not for those dirty drugs.'

...Accrington is able to support twelve villages in the opium producing areas of Afghanistan.
Though even better, they're Free Trade, and organic smack farmers.

So it's a win/win situation for Accrington.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 30-09-2011, 22:42   #47
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caz View Post
Also on the shoppers' route between the market and retail park.
Unfortunately these days shoppers dont seem to have a route that takes them too far outside the Supermarkets!

Made me laugh Britcliffe moaning that the proposed recycling vouchers should be able to be used in the Town Centre rather than Supermarkets!...Tesco came to Town on whose watch?

Best Regards - Taggy
Taggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2011, 22:50   #48
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taggy View Post
To be honest over the years i've only ever seen drunkards & dossers sat on those seats anyway!...OK, of late they have been younger & more vocal & aggressive which has probably brought this to peoples attention more, but they've never been relaxing places to while away a half hour or so have they?
Totally disagree. Years ago they were very relaxing places to while away half an hour or more, shooting the breeze and watching the world go by. They've been taken over by scum who are openly breaking the law and not a damn thing has been done to tackle the problem.

Hyndburn council should hang its head in shame at this pathetic, limp-wristed, PC-obsessed approach it has taken to dealing with the problem.
Old 30-09-2011, 22:50   #49

Every saturday morning I take my 80 year old parents down to Accrington and as my father suffers from Epilepsy, Parkinsons, Angina and Diabetis and cannot walk very far we usually leave him sat on the benches by the market hall whilst we just do a quick round of the market. This is usually about 9.30 before the drunks get up and it has worked fine until now.

So please could I ask if you could move the benches say about 11am every morning and put them back when the drunks have fallen over then everyone will be happy

or I will just have to take my portable deck chair for my dad
anzac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2011, 22:55   #50
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
Totally disagree. Years ago they were very relaxing places to while away half an hour or more, shooting the breeze and watching the world go by. They've been taken over by scum who are openly breaking the law and not a damn thing has been done to tackle the problem.

Hyndburn council should hang its head in shame at this pathetic, limp-wristed, PC-obsessed approach it has taken to dealing with the problem.
I agree the Council have got it wrong....but its the Police who are fault here!...However, i guess you probably have a few years on me, so can recall further back, but i've certainly seen nowt but drunks sat on those seats for the last 10 - 15 years!

Best Regards - Taggy
Old 30-09-2011, 22:56   #51
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by anzac View Post
or I will just have to take my portable deck chair for my dad
You'd probably get prosecuted for causing an obstruction. It's easier to pick on ordinary, law-abiding citizens than it is on criminal low lives who will doubtless know all about their human rights.
Old 30-09-2011, 23:00   #52
Caz
God Member

Quote:
I agree the Council have got it wrong....but its the Police who are fault here!...However, i guess you probably have a few years on me, so can recall further back, but i've certainly seen nowt but drunks sat on those seats for the last 10 - 15 years!

Best Regards - Taggy
Probably because the ones who were waiting for friends, sitting to have a quick ciggy or rest our legs move away when the miscreants start to gather...

I am not young enough to know everything.
- Oscar Wilde
Caz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2011, 23:02   #53
Super Moderator

Quote:
However, i guess you probably have a few years on me
Cheeky sod! Surely the point is, the council are trying to make the town centre more appealing for shoppers, so they should be reclaiming these benches for the use of ordinary citizens, rather than moving them. And, yes, it is a police matter but surely the council should be working closely with the police to make the town centre an unwelcoming place for these toerags.
Old 30-09-2011, 23:03   #54
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caz View Post
Probably because the ones who were waiting for friends, sitting to have a quick ciggy or rest our legs move away when the miscreants start to gather...
Yes thats no doubt correct, but as i say, its not a recent problem...and the Police have done sod all about it!...More often than not they are seen laughing & joking with these scum!

Best Regards - Taggy
Old 30-09-2011, 23:07   #55

What it should be like - not a drunk in sight
Attached Images
File Type: jpg benches.jpg (183.5 KB, 18 views)
anzac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2011, 23:10   #56
Senior Member+

Quote:
Cheeky sod! Surely the point is, the council are trying to make the town centre more appealing for shoppers, so they should be reclaiming these benches for the use of ordinary citizens, rather than moving them. And, yes, it is a police matter but surely the council should be working closely with the police to make the town centre an unwelcoming place for these toerags.
LOl!..I didn't mean that in a demeaning sense, i have the utmost respect for my elders opinions!!
We all know over the years there are many things that Hyndburn Council have got wrong, but i do feel in general they have tried to make things better for shoppers, even if the end result has sometimes been woefull. I do feel that of late, the police seem to be rather lax in their approach to unsocial behaviour in the town centre though! If the Police were doing their job correctly, there would be no reason why benches could not be left there to be enjoyed by the decent majority.

Best Regards - Taggy
Old 30-09-2011, 23:11   #57
Super Moderator

Nice shot...but where are the statues? Don't tell me the council have moved them, too!
Old 30-09-2011, 23:19   #58
Super Moderator

Quote:
I do feel that of late, the police seem to be rather lax in their approach to unsocial behaviour in the town centre though! If the Police were doing their job correctly, there would be no reason why benches could not be left there to be enjoyed by the decent majority.

Best Regards - Taggy
Perhaps, but surely the council should be making the strongest representations possible to the police about sorting this out? Perhaps they are, but we don't know because no councillors from the ruling group have seen fit to come on here and tell us anything.

Evening, Bernard.
Old 30-09-2011, 23:21   #59
Senior Member+

Quote:
Perhaps, but surely the council should be making the strongest representations possible to the police about sorting this out? Perhaps they are, but we don't know because no councillors from the ruling group have seen fit to come on here and tell us anything.

Evening, Bernard.
Well yes, i guess we have to wait for the answer on that one?...Who actually has over all responsibility for the Market area, is it Clare Pritchard?

Best Regards - Taggy
Old 30-09-2011, 23:27   #60
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnyboy View Post
I was one of the blokes removing the benches.

Neil, don't set your heart on having a pair of matching benches for the garden
I was not thinking about my garden, I know many areas in Hyndburn crying out for benches ( and bins but thats another story )

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..