Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 14-11-2006, 16:14   #1
Give, give, give member

HBC rubbish @ recycling.

It came to my attention today that Hyndburn Borough Council, the council that puts micro-chips in our wheelie bins and bangs on about wanting to be a Free Trade Borough, doesn't recycle any business waste produced in the borough.

Householders are being threatend with fines if we don't sort out and then recylce our waste. Fair enough, but surely all the businesses in Hyndburn, who pay business rates as well as extra charges for the removal of waste, produce a relatively large amount of rubbish which could be recycled.

I presume that the combined waste from all the bussiness in Hyndburn amounts to quite a lot, compared to that of household waste.

Surely if HBC pays lip service to green issues, and threaten fines, all waste in the borough should be recycled?

I wonder if all the rubbish from the various council offices and Town Hall, which must include an awful lot of paper, is recycled, or just dumped in landfill sites along with all the other glass, cardboard, paper, tins, and plastic that is produced by all the other businesses in Hyndburn?

I did my own little unscientific survey today in Accrington and Ossy. Out of fourteen businesses none had waste that was recycled, and all said they would. The owners of the Church Street Chippy said they had lots of waste that they could seperate easily, and thought the way it was all taken together to landfill sites was just a waste.

Either we are green as a borough or not.

Less political spin and threats of fines, and more action would be an illustration of a council who practiced what they preached.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 14-11-2006, 16:41   #2
Resident Waffler

Re: HBC rubbish @ recycling.

That amazes me. Donkeys years ago when I worked in a bank we always put out paper waste separate to our normal rubbish sort of stuff - was it recycled back then but not now? That would mean we've gone backwards instead of forwards.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2006, 16:46   #3
I am Banned

Its easier to get the small fry [ie householder] than it is to get the big guys
accymel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2006, 16:46   #4
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp
Donkeys years ago when I worked in a bank we always put out paper waste separate to our normal rubbish
I saw that in the news a few weeks ago, it includes peoples bank statments, credit/debit cards and all sorts of loan applications etc. Maybe not a good example .

The company I work for recycle only metal and wood. No paper, which alwat surprises me the ammount we use.
Old 14-11-2006, 16:48   #5
Resident Waffler

No, we didn't dump confidential waste Neil we dealt with that internally. You'd be surprised how much other paper garbage a bank could produce in the old days.

Old 14-11-2006, 16:50   #6
Give, give, give member

Although my survey was random I really would love an offical response.

Is there any business in Hyndburn that has their waste recycled?

If only Hyndburn Life worked I could ask on there.

Old 14-11-2006, 16:58   #7
Resident Waffler

Maybe we could all adopt and area and go and do a quick survey sometime this week.

Old 14-11-2006, 17:06   #8
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp
Maybe we could all adopt and area and go and do a quick survey sometime this week.
This only came to my attention because someone I know, who was loathed to keep putting glass and tins in with the unrecycled rubbish, put some in with their household recycling box/sacks and recieved a warning sticker that they would be fined if they did it again because it was industrial waste.

Either we should be striving as a borough to be green, or we are not.

Half green to me equals khaki, which is derived from an eastern word for sh*t.

Old 14-11-2006, 18:31   #9
Senior Member+

As far as I am aware all the businesses on the Msuic Zone side of Broadway have NO recycling facilities,all our rubbish just goes into skips that are then collected weekly by a contracted firm;you can imagine the amount of cardboard generated by ourselves,Poundland,JJB and Wilko's !!
Our rubbish like cans and plastic goes in a bin bag into another skip.
Not great and I am sure the businesses would rather recycle than keep filling the landfill sites! The situation was the same when I worked in the Arndale centre.
Old 14-11-2006, 18:36   #10
Resident Waffler

Methinks a complaint or two to the council wouldn't go amiss here. This is downright ludcrous!

Old 14-11-2006, 19:45   #11
God Member

The council wont listen and the councillers will only intervene if it gets them a vote or 10. There is no point them pushing recycling unless its 100% borough wide with NO EXCEPTIONS. More chance of finding a pot of gold at the end of a rainbow than that happening though.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2006, 20:03   #12
Give, give, give member

Been informed by a reliable source that 10% of all waste in Hyndburn is trade waste, and all 100% of it goes straight to landfill sites.

Green my arse.

Another bloody disgrace.

Old 14-11-2006, 23:25   #13
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

just occured to me, if they fine people and people DO NOT pay the fines, are we going to have folk gaoled for non-payment of re-cycling fines? after they gaoled pensioners ( nationally) for refusing to pay the poll tax,i would think so,so the prisons which are overcrowded NOW,will have to release all the pervs and scumbags to make room for THESE MASTER CRIMINALS.
Old 14-11-2006, 23:27   #14
God Member

Roflmao cashy..........that would be funny......sat in prison, writting letters home saying " hi family, not doing too bad, missing you all........have you remembered to put the recycle bins out??"

Miracles do happen!!

slinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2006, 13:26   #15
Resting in peace

Town centre on Tuesday evening is awash with trade waste, this is paid for with stickers. Beware of the chips that weigh the amount of non recycled waste you dispose of, they intend to charge for excess waste calculated on a per head basis, pilot schemes are already in place in some southern counties.
Ianto.W. is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..