Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 27-02-2011, 10:42   #31
Beacon of light

Re: Health and Safety

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
A lot of it is just common sense put into writing for those that dont have any.

Neil, you are spot on.
People assume that 'Common Sense' is, well, common. It isn't.....not one little bit common.

Whe I was nursing, our Senior Tutor.......Miss Frankland, told us that we should abandon that phrase, and instead use 'application of knowledge'....but that isn't foolproof either, because some people have knowledge but don't know how to apply it in different circumstances to what they were taught.....they cannot transfer known things to apply to new situations.

Then there are those poor unfortunate souls who do not have the knowledge in the first place.

You cannot assume people have either knowledge of the ability to transfer what they do have into new situations....this is how H&S was formulated....and that is why, in large corporations/organsiations, there are protocols, risk assessments and H&S guidelines.

In law, every employer has to have them....and if they don't and there is an accident/incident that should have been prevented by H&S protocols that are not documented or in place, then the employer is in for big financial penalties.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 27-02-2011, 10:56   #32
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Neil, you are spot on.
People assume that 'Common Sense' is, well, common. It isn't.....not one little bit common.
In law, every employer has to have them....and if they don't and there is an accident/incident that should have been prevented by H&S protocols that are not documented or in place, then the employer is in for big financial penalties.
I think what some people are trying to say is that sometimes (quite often in my opinion) H&S is used more as an excuse for not doing something than a reason.

Some people think I'm a bit of an animal, but I'm quite tender really
Benipete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2011, 11:09   #33
Beacon of light

Well, that might be the case, but if there are H&S protocols written and someone goes against them then they are up for the high jump.
I think there has to be evidence to suggest that people did nothing because it was the easy option.
Old 27-02-2011, 11:10   #34
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by yerself View Post
Remind us which party formed the government when Britain joined the then EEC. In case you can't recall here's a reminder:
BBC News | Ever closer union? The UK and Europe
No need to remind me but I do know who have sold us completely down the River by refusing a referendum on the Lisbon treaty
Old 27-02-2011, 11:14   #35
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benipete View Post
I think what some people are trying to say is that sometimes (quite often in my opinion) H&S is used more as an excuse for not doing something than a reason.
Quite right Beni, you only have to look at some of these no win no fee adverts, I specifically think of the Guy who says he was sent to fit an alarm system and was given the wrong type of ladder, more fool him for using it the twerp
Old 27-02-2011, 11:16   #36
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Thats the bit hes conveniently forgot.
But I haven't forgot that there was a referendum as to whether we stayed in the European Union in the mid seventies and the vote was yes
Old 27-02-2011, 11:18   #37
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Quite right Beni, you only have to look at some of these no win no fee adverts, I specifically think of the Guy who says he was sent to fit an alarm system and was given the wrong type of ladder, more fool him for using it the twerp
To be fair, we recently had a sad case locally, in which a worker died because his employers had provided their employees with unsafe scaffolding, on which they were told to work.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2011, 11:38   #38
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie Yates View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil
I am big on H&S but only when its sensible and correct. I see to many stupid ideas still.

So do you decide what is sensible and correct and what is stupid? Sort of "Pick & Mix"
yes
Old 27-02-2011, 11:40   #39
Beacon of light

When I was working, I was responsible for the maintenance and upkeep of H&S protocols and risk assessments and the records of the protocols/risk assessments......before being charged with this responsibility I was given training...this included information from the NHS Trusts Legal department....it left me in no doubt as to what would happen if protocols, records and risk assessments were not kept properly and updated regularly...and I am pretty sure it hasn't got any easier.

Litigation means that you have to write it down.
Old 27-02-2011, 12:10   #40
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
To be fair, we recently had a sad case locally, in which a worker died because his employers had provided their employees with unsafe scaffolding, on which they were told to work.
Well if it was unsafe why did they use it, better to tell um to stick their job than lose your life
Old 27-02-2011, 12:13   #41
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Well if it was unsafe why did they use it, better to tell um to stick their job than lose your life
Sadly life sometimes isn't so black and white.

Lancashire widow's fury at scaffold death blunders (From Lancashire Telegraph)

Firm fined £1 over Lancashire worker's death (From Lancashire Telegraph)

Old 27-02-2011, 12:25   #42
Resting in Peace

That's totally appalling G. I think this kind of incident happens when an outside source is asked to provide this type of equipment, luckily when I was employed and scaffolding was required I either erect it myself or the company had its own scaffolders i.e. John Laing Construction (they had H & S officers way back in the 60s) but the boss of this firm seems a bit of an iffy character to say the least
Old 27-02-2011, 12:36   #43
Give, give, give member

Quote:
That's totally appalling G. I think this kind of incident happens when an outside source is asked to provide this type of equipment, luckily when I was employed and scaffolding was required I either erect it myself or the company had its own scaffolders i.e. John Laing Construction (they had H & S officers way back in the 60s) but the boss of this firm seems a bit of an iffy character to say the least
Although some of it does seem daft, I suppose that's why we have legislation, to help mimimise the risk to people whose employers aren't quite as keen on safety issues.

Old 27-02-2011, 12:37   #44
Resting in Peace

Quote:
I think that If you are asked to work on a scaffold that was erected by a legitimate scaffolding firm you should be safe to assume it was erected correctly.

Hardly the same as being so thick you used the wrong ladder.

Some people think I'm a bit of an animal, but I'm quite tender really
Benipete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2011, 12:41   #45
Give, give, give member

...and it might be someone, an apprentice say, or someone just starting a job after being unemployed for a long time, without the confidence to tell their employer that they can 'stick their job'.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..