Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree38Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 18-07-2013, 22:42   #76
God Member

Re: Heatwave

The extension lead that my aircon was plugged into has 'died' from overwork. The only other things that were plugged into it at the time were my BT hub and my lap top charger. I am presuming it is the lead but it maybe the wall socket which I cant reach because it is behind heavy furniture which I am not capable of moving.

For several awful moments I thought that I would be without aircon and internet until I move on Monday - the two things that are essential for my survival.

I have now rigged another extension lead across the room for the BT and plugged the aircon into a different lead which has only a 5amp LED salt lamp operating with it.

My lounge now looks like spaghetti junction. I am now waiting for the pipes in the loft to cool a little to allow water to operate my electric shower.

Fighting for survival just got a little harder today.

Last edited by MargaretR; 18-07-2013 at 22:45.
MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 18-07-2013, 22:48   #77
Senior Member+

Good luck with your move Margaret, can be a stressful time. Hope you are more comfortable in your new place.
MargaretR likes this.
gpick24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2013, 22:55   #78
God Member

It will like moving from a B&B into the Hilton!
... bigger lounge and kitchen, two bedrooms, two bathrooms and a balcony.

Old 19-07-2013, 01:27   #79
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
It will like moving from a B&B into the Hilton!
... bigger lounge and kitchen, two bedrooms, two bathrooms and a balcony.
I walked past your flat today and had a little smile at how much your window is open for your aircon vent pipe to stick out. I am not surprised you are struggling to cool your room with the window open so much. You are trying to cool all of Ossy.
Old 19-07-2013, 04:15   #80

Here in Oz some of the Oldies from the Bush say that an old fashioned way to cool yourself down was to pour some cool water over your shoulders then go outside and stand with your arms outright against the wind, believe me it works like mobile AC.
keith higson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2013, 05:51   #81
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
I walked past your flat today and had a little smile at how much your window is open for your aircon vent pipe to stick out. I am not surprised you are struggling to cool your room with the window open so much. You are trying to cool all of Ossy.
Since the slope of the pipe must be upwards, there is no alternative.

If I bent it down to narrow the window opening the heat would get trapped in the pipe and it could melt. It is plastic and gets very hot as it is.

Last edited by MargaretR; 19-07-2013 at 05:57.
Old 19-07-2013, 06:35   #82
Senior Member+

Quote:
The extension lead that my aircon was plugged into has 'died' from overwork. The only other things that were plugged into it at the time were my BT hub and my lap top charger. I am presuming it is the lead but it maybe the wall socket which I cant reach because it is behind heavy furniture which I am not capable of moving.

For several awful moments I thought that I would be without aircon and internet until I move on Monday - the two things that are essential for my survival.

I have now rigged another extension lead across the room for the BT and plugged the aircon into a different lead which has only a 5amp LED salt lamp operating with it.

My lounge now looks like spaghetti junction. I am now waiting for the pipes in the loft to cool a little to allow water to operate my electric shower.

Fighting for survival just got a little harder today.
You may need a heavy duty extension lead for your aircon. What is the wattage of the unit. If you don't unwind an extension lead fully it can overheat and melt the insulation and potentially catch fire just be wary.
maxthecollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2013, 06:46   #83
Senior Member+

I've just looked at the spec. It has 880 watt of cooling so it will take approx. 4 amp running. If you are running it of a 5 amp extension lead unroll it all or it may overheat
Old 19-07-2013, 06:49   #84
God Member

Quote:
which has only a 5amp LED salt lamp operating with it.

sure you mean 5 amp? 240x5=1.2KW, given something like this can push out 340Lm for 5.5 watts that would give you over 74 THOUSAND lumens of light for your 1.2KW or teh equivilant of 228 40W old style bulbs......

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2013, 07:12   #85
God Member

When I said 'extension lead' I meant a '4 way socket' type of extension. It doesn't have a long cord so it isn't coiled.

The LED bulb in the salt lamp is 5watts not 5 amps.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg extension.jpg (4.7 KB, 3 views)

Old 19-07-2013, 07:14   #86
Senior Member+

That'll do nicely
Old 19-07-2013, 09:35   #87
Senior Member+

Quote:
When I said 'extension lead' I meant a '4 way socket' type of extension. It doesn't have a long cord so it isn't coiled.

The LED bulb in the salt lamp is 5watts not 5 amps.
The plug in 4way sockets are not a good idea, inserting the appliance cords can move the plug out of the wall socket a little as it pivots on the wall socket body, but it does constitute a risk. When buying extension cords please pay a little more for quality and always fully extend the extension cord as Max says
Old 19-07-2013, 12:56   #88
God Member

Just got keys for my new flat - there are many more plug sockets, and despite being 'closed up' and unoccupied since early June - it was COOL
gpick24 likes this.

Old 19-07-2013, 13:04   #89
Senior Member+

Happy new flat!
MargaretR likes this.
Old 19-07-2013, 13:06   #90
Senior Member+

Quote:
Just got keys for my new flat - there are many more plug sockets, and despite being 'closed up' and unoccupied since early June - it was COOL
I bet you`re itching to get moved in now you`ve got the keys.
gpick24 is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..