Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree38Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-07-2013, 07:38   #1
God Member

Heatwave

I don't want to appear a spoil sport, but I am struggling to cope with this hot weather.

If you are in a two story house you will notice that upstairs rooms get hot due to the sun heating the roof and loft space.

All my rooms are 'upstairs'.

I bought a mobile aircon machine a few years ago. Until this hot spell I had only needed to use it for a few hours a day, on a handful of days each year.

I need a temperature between 22C - 24C, and humidity between 40% - 50%. Higher than that feels like breathing pea soup.

Yesterday and today I have needed to switch on the aircon at 6am and it is on constantly till 9pm! The noise of it, and the three dehumidifiers, did cause me to use some wax earplugs for a spell yesterday.

Another problem is that when the loft heats up, the water piping to my shower does too, and my electric shower shuts down if it is fed hot water.

So as I sit here sweating, stinking and gasping. I take solace in the fact that I have only two more weeks before I move and wont be living directly below a loft space, and will have a 'direct feed' shower. Breathing easy and keeping clean are struggles that you probably aren't needing to overcome.

Last edited by MargaretR; 08-07-2013 at 07:42.
MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 08-07-2013, 07:54   #2
Resting in Peace

Re: Heatwave

I was exactly the same yesterday Margaret, my air conditioner was on all day yesterday and all windows wide open, and I live in a ground floor flat, not looking forward to the next few days really wall to wall heat is OTT for me, well at this level
jaysay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 08:36   #3
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
I was exactly the same yesterday Margaret, my air conditioner was on all day yesterday and all windows wide open, and I live in a ground floor flat, not looking forward to the next few days really wall to wall heat is OTT for me, well at this level
Aren`t you better having the windows closed Jaysay, You`re giving your aircon more work to do with them open.
http://ask.metafilter.com/158699/Clo...t-the-low-ones
mobertol likes this.

Last edited by gpick24; 08-07-2013 at 08:37. Reason: Added a link
gpick24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 08:38   #4
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpick24 View Post
Aren`t you better having the windows closed Jaysay, You`re giving your aircon more work to do with them open.
Close all the windows when the A/C is running, or just the low ones? - clerestory airconditioning | Ask MetaFilter
Na its more of a fan than a conditioner and its blowing cold air at me all day
Old 08-07-2013, 08:40   #5
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Na its more of a fan than a conditioner and its blowing cold air at me all day
if your still struggling I can get less to call round he gives off a lot of air with his chatting

oh forget it its only HOT air
shillelagh, jaysay and Restless like this.

Last edited by Mick; 08-07-2013 at 08:43.
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 08:50   #6
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick View Post
if your still struggling I can get less to call round he gives off a lot of air with his chatting

oh forget it its only HOT air
Ya but he is a sharing kind of guy
Old 08-07-2013, 09:23   #7
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
I don't want to appear a spoil sport, but I am struggling to cope with this hot weather.

So as I sit here sweating, stinking and gasping. I take solace in the fact that I have only two more weeks before I move and wont be living directly below a loft space, and will have a 'direct feed' shower. Breathing easy and keeping clean are struggles that you probably aren't needing to overcome.

Maybe you and Jaysay need to rig up one of those "ice towels" that Murray and Djokovic were using in yesterdays final
DtheP47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 10:02   #8

Quote:

If you are in a two story house you will notice that upstairs rooms get hot due to the sun heating the roof and loft space.

All my rooms are 'upstairs'.

I bought a mobile aircon machine a few years ago. Until this hot spell I had only needed to use it for a few hours a day, on a handful of days each year.

I need a temperature between 22C - 24C, and humidity between 40% - 50%. Higher than that feels like breathing pea soup.

Yesterday and today I have needed to switch on the aircon at 6am and it is on constantly till 9pm! The noise of it, and the three dehumidifiers, did cause me to use some wax earplugs for a spell yesterday.

Another problem is that when the loft heats up, the water piping to my shower does too, and my electric shower shuts down if it is fed hot water.

Half your luck Margaret. It's bl...y freezing here.
Aussie Irene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 10:11   #9
God Member

Quote:
Close all the windows when the A/C is running, or just the low ones? - clerestory airconditioning | Ask MetaFilter
My machine is a proper aircon, but needs an open window to put the exhaust hose outside (like a tumble dryer exhaust pipe)

Old 08-07-2013, 10:24   #10
Senior Member+

Ideally, it should be vented through a sealed vent, not always practical though, just makes it less efficient.
Old 08-07-2013, 10:29   #11
God Member

Quote:
Ideally, it should be vented through a sealed vent, not always practical though, just makes it less efficient.
Hyndburn Homes don't like tenants who knock holes in walls

Old 08-07-2013, 10:35   #12
Senior Member+

Quote:
Hyndburn Homes don't like tenants who knock holes in walls
I`m sure they don`t, like I said, not always practical. Perhaps when you move it might be worth asking permission, if it`s for medical reasons and it`s done properly, they may let you do it. You`ll notice a big difference and will use less leccy. It`s like having the heating on with the windows open.
Old 08-07-2013, 10:55   #13
God Member

Oh dear - just had to retrieve the pipe and shut the window -
grass cutting using a petrol mower has filled my lounge with petrol exhaust fumes

Sometimes 'fighting the world' is a full time job

Old 08-07-2013, 11:03   #14
I am Banned

Quote:
Oh dear - just had to retrieve the pipe and shut the window -
grass cutting using a petrol mower has filled my lounge with petrol exhaust fumes

Sometimes 'fighting the world' is a full time job
Have you not got a catflap you can put the hose through Margaret?
DtheP47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 11:06   #15
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DtheP47 View Post
Have you not got a catflap you can put the hose through Margaret?
No - and it wouldn't work if I had - the hot air outlet needs to be higher than the machine in order to 'exhaust'

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..