Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 24-06-2008, 15:14   #31
God Member

Re: Heinz to withdraw 'Gay Kiss' advert!

I thought it was a good advert, not offensive at all

The kiss was only a peck, like famous people kiss, like friends kiss, wasn't a full on snog
Old 24-06-2008, 15:29   #32
Senior Member+

I think if people get wound up about this ... they have too much time on their hands!
Old 24-06-2008, 15:32   #33
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealeaf View Post
What the hell is the Accy Web coming to? I switch on here to catch up with the local gossip, acts of criminality and council stupidity and what do I find? Not one, but two threads about our gay chums. Enough is enough. If it is to be sodomy on tap then can there please be a seperate section?
Funnly I was thinking the same thing.
Old 24-06-2008, 15:44   #34
Resting in Peace

Just echoing other people's thoughts on this advert.

I have just watched it, and would have taken it as others ... never would have considered they were depicted as 'gays' at all ... just thought it was a clever way of showing what us mothers feel like sometimes when the family needs feeding. The kiss just made me laugh .. particularly when the Deli man calls him over to say "Haven't you forgotten something". How many times have us women said that.

Offensive .. not at all. As for explaining it to the children, not difficult for me as this is the way I saw it.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2008, 15:47   #35
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas.lee View Post
How is it 'over the top'?! There are countless adverts where we see a man & woman kiss.. but just because its two men you think its over the top and 'dont like it'! What you have basically just said is homophobic, and its people like you who give children of today the impression that homosexuality is wrong, which leads to bullying throughout schools, and other acts of discrimination such as racism etc.

Absolutely no justification for your comments.
O.K. you've had your hissy fit and proved yourself to be like Elton, you seem to be erring on the side of hetrophobic THE sexuality that although is considered the norm' isn't compulsory if you wish to sleep on the brown side of the sheets, fine, just don't expect it to be an easy ride!

Why on earth people like you call yourselves 'gay', I've no idea you all seem more depressed than happy, live with your sexuality and allow the rest of us to live with ours don't blame us because you're different, we didn't make you the way you are.

I hope you can come to terms with what is obviously a big issue for you but is of no real consequence to the rest of us.

Last edited by Less; 24-06-2008 at 15:55.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2008, 15:51   #36
white rabbits

Its whatever turns you on,,,,I supose Heinz have got the right idea ,its made people talk about it,,,,good publicity and all that..
Old 24-06-2008, 16:00   #37
God Member

i found this advert offensive not because it was 2 gay men but because they had a child calling the man mummy

sory but that dosnt sit right with me and although no expert i dont think gay male couples who have children would expect a child to call a man mummy just as 2 lesbian women wouldnt expect a child to call a woman daddy

well thats what i think anyway

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2008, 16:27   #38
Filthy / Gorgeous

Bejeweled Blitz Champion!

I can't see anything offensive about this advert and took it in the same way that Willow, Margaret, Mummiboo etc did. I can't help thinking that Polly is right though............ Maybe I'm just a cynical old git.

The views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of my family, friends, employer, this site, my neighbours, hairdresser, dentist, GP, next door's dog or anyone else who knows me..
lettie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2008, 16:33   #39
Resident Waffler

Quote:
Originally Posted by accyman View Post
i found this advert offensive not because it was 2 gay men but because they had a child calling the man mummy

sory but that dosnt sit right with me and although no expert i dont think gay male couples who have children would expect a child to call a man mummy just as 2 lesbian women wouldnt expect a child to call a woman daddy

well thats what i think anyway

But they weren't calling a man Mummy. It was their Mummy but she was being depicted as a deli counter server because that was how they were all treating her. Like Gayle said, sometimes Mum's feel like that, or that they are a telephonist/secretary or a taxi driver/chaffeur. If it had been about taking kids to this that and the other and dropping hubby off somewhere the wife would probably have been played by a man in a peaked cap.

That was precisely why it didn't come across as two gay men - BECAUSE the kids called one of them Mum because in reality she wasn't a man she was their female Mum but just fulfilling her 'New York Deli Counter' role which is usually a man with one of those silly hats and a Bronx accent.

I think the subtelty of the image went over too many heads and that offence was consequently caused where none was ever imagined.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2008, 16:34   #40
Passed away 25-11-09

I'm amazed that anyone could find this advert offensive because, for a start, there is nothing Gay about it. I tend to agree that the whole withdrawal thing is part of a strategy but I think the little scene is very funny. It was no more Gay than Morecambe and Wise (and, before them, Laurel and Hardy) sharing a double bed.
Old 24-06-2008, 16:35   #41
Resident Waffler

Ah but people are now seeing gay undertones in that and in the relationship between Holmes and Watson, and Batman and Robin!

Old 24-06-2008, 16:46   #42
Beacon of light

Willow, to them, I would say 'that to the pure all things are pure'
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2008, 16:47   #43
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp View Post
But they weren't calling a man Mummy. It was their Mummy but she was being depicted as a deli counter server because that was how they were all treating her. Like Gayle said, sometimes Mum's feel like that, or that they are a telephonist/secretary or a taxi driver/chaffeur. If it had been about taking kids to this that and the other and dropping hubby off somewhere the wife would probably have been played by a man in a peaked cap.

That was precisely why it didn't come across as two gay men - BECAUSE the kids called one of them Mum because in reality she wasn't a man she was their female Mum but just fulfilling her 'New York Deli Counter' role which is usually a man with one of those silly hats and a Bronx accent.

I think the subtelty of the image went over too many heads and that offence was consequently caused where none was ever imagined.

So basically the British public have been duped by a guy from New York. Suppose it's a change from Washington
Old 24-06-2008, 16:55   #44
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Monkey View Post
You can carp on about society/individuals accepting homosexuality as normal, but the fact remains that we're not at that point. Whether homosexuality will ever been seen as 'the norm' is arguable, as the fact remains that it isn't natural and so is outside of the mainstream.
I'd have to argue the point that homosexuality isn't natural.

It might not be liked, and it's certainly a minority, but it has been a part of every society since time began, as well as in every species of other animals. Therefore, by it's very defintion, it's part of nature.

As for the advert, it's just a clever piece of marketing. The ad men knew there would be complaints from the narrow minded loonies, and all the extra publicity it's garnered is priceless.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2008, 17:15   #45
Resident Waffler

Nail - head Rindy.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..