Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-12-2012, 06:52   #91
Senior Member+

Re: Here we go again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
Greedy scum...and they have the Speaker to back 'em up.

MPs' expenses: MPs allowed to hide expenses details - Telegraph
Perhaps the greediest of them all is our ex-Prime Minister, Brown. Still drawing his salary and expenses too no doubt, yet he has only appeared in the House about three times this year, and has never contributed in any debate. Perhaps he is too busy jetting all over the world advising on fiscal policy etc and no doubt receiving significant advisory fees.
Accrington Web
Old 13-09-2013, 19:46   #92
Super Moderator

...and here we go yet again!

MPs' expenses soar to record levels with more than one in four putting family on the payroll - Mirror Online

It stretches right across the political spectrum, but perhaps most hypocritical of all are the Tory scum who campaigned against a minimum wage and employ their relatives on very generous salaries.

Beneath contempt.
pallyman likes this.
Old 14-09-2013, 14:06   #93
Resting in Peace

Quote:
...and here we go yet again!

MPs' expenses soar to record levels with more than one in four putting family on the payroll - Mirror Online

It stretches right across the political spectrum, but perhaps most hypocritical of all are the Tory scum who campaigned against a minimum wage and employ their relatives on very generous salaries.

Beneath contempt.
Hang on a minute Wyn somebody has to pay their kids school fees, you don't expect them to pay out of the pitense they receive as salary
jaysay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2013, 21:54   #94
Super Moderator

Apologies for C'mon style cut-and-paste, but this sums it up really. As he concludes: "This is why people hate politicians". The new MPs? Expenses Scandal | Trending Central
Old 17-09-2013, 17:22   #95
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Apologies for C'mon style cut-and-paste, but this sums it up really. As he concludes: "This is why people hate politicians". The new MPs? Expenses Scandal | Trending Central
At least your C & Ps are worth reading Wyn
Wynonie Harris likes this.
Old 20-09-2013, 20:49   #96
Senior Member+

Quote:
Maybe he'll comment on this one, as it doesn't involve criticizing any Labour politicians. In fact, I'm surprised C'mon hasn't been on here babbling about it.

MPs' expenses: top Tory in secret deal - Telegraph
MPs are now forced to rent which has pushed up MP's housing costs considerably (at taxpayers expense) as a result of changes banning ownership following public outrage in 2009 expenses scandal.

A friend of mine (MP) rents a room from a retired MP who still lives in the other room (two bed flat). This MP was pilloried in the nationals for saving taxpayers money. People on message boards then put an uninformed boot in.

I have said this before but it's worth saying it again. I employ four staff and spend nearly all the allowances given to me. The constituency office is one of the best in the country. Since 2010 we have helped over 5,000 people individually. The notice board is full of thank you cards. Not to me (though they may have my name on them) but to the dedicated staff I employ.

Spending most of the allowance may make me a high spending MP (I am not sure). Contrast that with the MP (nameless) who sleeps in his office, doesn't do casework and employs no staff and needs a map to get back to his constituency.

I am also under 65 so lose out on cheap pensioner rail fares. Unlike some stay away MP's who stay in London, I come home every weekend to do surgeries and work here in the constituency adding more rail fares. Lancashire is far more expensive to get to than the home counties.

I have a daughter and entitled to a small additional allowance for accommodation.

I don't claim mileage in East Lancashire or food allowances.
g jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2013, 21:39   #97

Texas Holdem Poker Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by g jones View Post
MPs are now forced to rent which has pushed up MP's housing costs considerably (at taxpayers expense) as a result of changes banning ownership following public outrage in 2009 expenses scandal.

A friend of mine (MP) rents a room from a retired MP who still lives in the other room (two bed flat). This MP was pilloried in the nationals for saving taxpayers money. People on message boards then put an uninformed boot in.

I have said this before but it's worth saying it again. I employ four staff and spend nearly all the allowances given to me. The constituency office is one of the best in the country. Since 2010 we have helped over 5,000 people individually. The notice board is full of thank you cards. Not to me (though they may have my name on them) but to the dedicated staff I employ.

Spending most of the allowance may make me a high spending MP (I am not sure). Contrast that with the MP (nameless) who sleeps in his office, doesn't do casework and employs no staff and needs a map to get back to his constituency.

I am also under 65 so lose out on cheap pensioner rail fares. Unlike some stay away MP's who stay in London, I come home every weekend to do surgeries and work here in the constituency adding more rail fares. Lancashire is far more expensive to get to than the home counties.

I have a daughter and entitled to a small additional allowance for accommodation.

Nobody questions your honesty or morality, it's plain to see for anyone who cares to check. The changes you refer to were brought about by an army of your colleagues bleeding the system, whilst crucifying in parliament the single parent on benefit who does a few hours behind the bar on a friday night cash in hand as fraudsters.

The same civil servants who drew up the loophole riddled expenses rules are the same ones who have now created the sledgehammer to crack a walnut rules on ownership....welcome to our world Graham, they do it to us plebs on a daily basis with their interpretation on what you lot create in parliament.
jaysay likes this.
Old 21-09-2013, 14:29   #98
Resting in Peace

Quote:

I remember your predecessor Ken Hargreaves, Ken didn't drive so he had people on call if he needed to go anywhere, say the airport or train station or around the constituency at weekends and recess, there was one instance where one of these people changed their car, getting a car with a smaller engine size (in those days PM exes were paid on engine size) this had gone on for a month when he found out he'd been claiming to much, but he insisted that he paid the claims office back the amount he over claimed, which was out of his pocket not the drivers, no wonder he was well respected thought the constituency and Westminster, honest holy joe

Last edited by jaysay; 21-09-2013 at 14:31.
jaysay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2013, 20:31   #99
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinness View Post
Nobody questions your honesty or morality, it's plain to see for anyone who cares to check. The changes you refer to were brought about by an army of your colleagues bleeding the system, whilst crucifying in parliament the single parent on benefit who does a few hours behind the bar on a friday night cash in hand as fraudsters.

The same civil servants who drew up the loophole riddled expenses rules are the same ones who have now created the sledgehammer to crack a walnut rules on ownership....welcome to our world Graham, they do it to us plebs on a daily basis with their interpretation on what you lot create in parliament.
I agree.
Old 21-09-2013, 20:36   #100
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
I remember your predecessor Ken Hargreaves, Ken didn't drive so he had people on call if he needed to go anywhere, say the airport or train station or around the constituency at weekends and recess, there was one instance where one of these people changed their car, getting a car with a smaller engine size (in those days PM exes were paid on engine size) this had gone on for a month when he found out he'd been claiming to much, but he insisted that he paid the claims office back the amount he over claimed, which was out of his pocket not the drivers, no wonder he was well respected thought the constituency and Westminster, honest holy joe
Ken gave me lots of good advice and I respect him greatly. His compassion for his constituents is something I look up to. We shared a joke or two in his last days. Sadly missed by me for his guiding hand.

One issue we discussed was the differences today. Ken didn't envy today's electronic world. I receive between 100-150 emails a day which Ken just looked upwards when I told him. I recall he had one member staff which was sufficient back then. Miss him. Great conversations.
cashman likes this.

Last edited by g jones; 21-09-2013 at 20:38.
Old 22-09-2013, 08:36   #101
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Ken gave me lots of good advice and I respect him greatly. His compassion for his constituents is something I look up to. We shared a joke or two in his last days. Sadly missed by me for his guiding hand.

One issue we discussed was the differences today. Ken didn't envy today's electronic world. I receive between 100-150 emails a day which Ken just looked upwards when I told him. I recall he had one staff which was sufficient back then. Miss him. Great conversations.
Ken had 3 staff Graham I at Westminster two in Ossy a researcher and a typist, no computers back then, well only very limited and defo no emails, but the daily mail delivery was something to write home about, quite often it was delivered in a sack by mail van, especially when the house was in recess

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..