Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-02-2004, 15:38   #1

Cool Holidays

Why don't we talk about holidays. Recommendations on where to go, hints and tips etc. Three of my favourtie spots has to be Bulgaria,Tunisia and Turkey, the people are so friendly and prices very, very cheap. Would love to go back to Bulgaria but it would work out quite expensive to go there for two weeks now. As my son is 16 and daughter 13 it would mean paying for four adults. Going to Alanya, Turkey in July for two weeks and can't wait. Last time we went to Turkey it was Kushadasi, which i would highly recommend.
Sara is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 02-02-2004, 15:48   #2
God Member

I recomend Church. I go there for a long weekend every 2/3 weeks - although this time it will be 5 weeks. Weather is'nt that good - it's not a place for a suntan - but people are friendly and the beer is cheap. Some excellent hostelries and a good pie shop, to.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2004, 15:52   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealeaf
I recomend Church. I go there for a long weekend every 2/3 weeks - although this time it will be 5 weeks. Weather is'nt that good - it's not a place for a suntan - but people are friendly and the beer is cheap. Some excellent hostelries and a good pie shop, to.
Have to agree with you there. Used to live there myself until i moved into the great big world. Now i live in Accrington.
Sara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2004, 15:58   #4
God Member

Oh Dear. I'm not that adventourous. What's this rumour I hear that the next series of "I'm A Celebrity, Get Me Out Of Here," is to be filmed in Accy?
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2004, 16:23   #5
Filthy / Gorgeous

Bejeweled Blitz Champion!
Had a lovely holiday to Bulgaria in 1998, friendly people, great food and very cheap. Hated Turkey, went to Bodrum/Gumbet and was harassed to death with Turkish men trying to sell you stuff and get into your pants, probably went to the wrong resort there. Love the Greek Islands, the smaller ones which don't have their own airports are by far the best, no riff raff (apart from me) clean, friendly, great food/wine and quiet. Can take or leave Spain, travelled round most of Spain as an 18 year old (mainland) but quite like the quieter bits of the Canaries. Like a holiday with lots to see and do, anywhere with a bit of history, not into bars, clubs and theme parks, prefer restaurants, walks museums etc. Mont Blanc area of France is lovely, as are New Zealand, Thailand, Hong Kong. Didn't like Morocco, but was probably too young to appreciate it when I was there. Love Cyprus.
lettie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2004, 15:57   #6
Junior Member+

Went to Siberia and Mongolia last year, but would only recommend it if you are really adventurous!!

Two REALLY nice hols that are not too expensive are Sardinia and Sicily. Well worth the visit, especially Sicily which is overflowing with culture and history, not to mention the gorgeous deserted ebaches.
Avoid August though, and make sure you hire a car to get out and see something.
Otherwise, best thing is to come and visit me in the South Tyrolean Alps...
Jo in Bolzano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2004, 16:22   #7
Filthy / Gorgeous

Bejeweled Blitz Champion!
Never been to Sicily, but been to Sardinia twice cheap flight with Ryannair never cost me more than £40 to get there. Stayed with friends, hired a car and what a lovely place. Italian Alps are also great. Dominican Republic is very pre-historic looking with fabulous beaches, and they did film some of Jurassic park there, when you get there it's easy to see why. Don't go unless you have an iron constitution, couldn't get my ex husband off the toilet for a fortnight.
lettie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2004, 02:47   #8

usually go to accy for mine! mind you I do live some 3,500 miles away! this year am heading up north to another lake in Ontario. sun, sand, boat, bbq, beer wine and gin what else could I ask for!
littlemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2004, 08:56   #9
Junior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlemo
usually go to accy for mine! mind you I do live some 3,500 miles away! this year am heading up north to another lake in Ontario. sun, sand, boat, bbq, beer wine and gin what else could I ask for!
There will me men there won't there? Seems sonething is missing form your list....
Old 04-02-2004, 08:56   #10
Junior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlemo
There will me men there won't there? Seems something is missing form your list....
Old 04-02-2004, 08:57   #11
Junior Member+

There will be men there won't there? Seems something is miising from your list....
Old 04-02-2004, 12:18   #12
Senior Member+

All this talk of booze has got you repeating yourself jo, you would'nt be having withdrawl symptom's would you?
Old 04-02-2004, 13:22   #13

Been to a few "Different" places not too far from home (Germany). I have a house in the Bayerische Wald (Bavarian Forest) which is just north of the Danube and south of the Czech border. The place is a walkers paradise, and, funnily enough very cheap, not what you would expect for Germany.

Lovely hotels, with excellent conditions, cheap (about £25 a night for a double room, not per person), beer at £1.20 a half litre, and all the forest you want to walk through for free. Fly to Munich, hire a small car, and drive eastwards on the motorway (Autobahn) for 80 miles and lo and behold you're in the middle of it.

Another nice and very interesting place is a small town called GRADO (Jo should know about it, but I can't vouch for the men) which is on the north coast of the Adriatic. Before the first WW it use to belong to Austria. It has a quiet relaxing atmosphere, good beaches, excellent Italian food and wine, and the nearby Lagoon brings in lots of seafood. Not far away is Aquilea, which was the second largest city of the Roman Empire, but now is just a large area of ancient ruins. The climate is not quite as hot as the rest of the Adriatic, and is a god send in summer (still gets up to 35°C occasionally) The town itself is full of little alleyways, and cafe's and restaurants. It's still relatively unknown and most of the tourists are either Italian, German or mainly Austrian. I've only ever seen 1 Brit there.

Another unknown gem is Oberwiesenthal which is on the Czech/East German border, and has several ski-jumps and walking paths through the forest, a steam train narrow gauge railway, and the big hill (Erzberg) at the edge of then town. The Czech border is about 200 yards away, and the easiest way is across a footpath! and small bridge. Definitely different, and also v.cheap.

Not far away across in the Czech republic is Karlsbad, which is a Victorian Spa resort. Now mainly owned by the Russian Mafia!! It has a superb city center with victorian arcades, and free spa water sampling points dotted every 20 yards or so. The hotels are excellent and not really expensive (about £50 per night B&B for the double room). Meals in the restaurants are very cheap (avg.£5 with beer or wine) and the pubs are very cheap with beer at £0.60 a half litre. One very positive aspect of this lovely old place is that the locals think that the British are the best thing since sliced bread, and they all want to learn English (not much help if you come from Accy or Ossy).

We've been to some really out of the way spots in central Europe, which are nearly always very cheap, and very friendly. As I also use to live in S. Spain, I know of some out-of-the-way resorts and towns within easy reach of the Costa.

However, if it's sand, sea, sun, booze, food, night-life, and hangovers....well, the Mediterranean is for you, and Turkey is cheap........
Darby is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..