Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 25-01-2007, 13:23   #61
I am Banned

Re: Holland's Pies to be made in Ireland?

hmmmmm

Quote:
During the two-week trial at Preston Crown Court in December 2004, Arshad admitted cutting his mother-in-law’s body into nine pieces after dissolving it in caustic soda and vinegar.
how did he cut it AFTER he disolved it , wouldnt that be like trying to cut and asprin in half after its disolved in the glass of water ?

ps:

this story makes you think twice about those bits of grizzle you find in hollands pies dosnt it

with that thought in mind enjoy your chippy tea folks
chav1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 25-01-2007, 13:29   #62
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

probably cos it dont dissolve the bones chav, there buggars to get rid of.
Old 26-01-2007, 18:27   #63
Yank in King Art's Court!

Not to beat a dead horse (or in this case eat one), but could one of you kind folks describe one of these Holland Pie's (-Mrs. Begums please).

Also have never heard of a butter pie. Sounds like I have more taste testing to do if I make it back this spring. As a comparison are these pies better or worse than blackpudding and/or haggis?

Brian

LancYorkYankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2007, 18:38   #64
Senior Member+

Brian,sorry mate but they're crap.Best pies for miles around back in the 60's /70's,but now just mass produced mush...with no seasoning I am not doing myself any favours here.Anyway,they're making staff redundant but the job centre are still advertising for temp staff/agency workers for production lines........another Express Gifts
Old 26-01-2007, 18:40   #65
Resting in peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by LancYorkYankee View Post
Not to beat a dead horse (or in this case eat one), but could one of you kind folks describe one of these Holland Pie's (-Mrs. Begums please).

Also have never heard of a butter pie. Sounds like I have more taste testing to do if I make it back this spring. As a comparison are these pies better or worse than blackpudding and/or haggis?

Brian
A mrs Begum pie, it was alleged that two men who murdered their mother in law, put her remains in either pies or kebabs, as they ran a kebab shop owned by Mrs Begum, and one of the murderers worked on a meat mincer at Hollands Pies, so conclusions have been drawn. A Butter pie is a cheap vesion of a meat and potato pie, potato mixed with a bit of butter instead of meat. Black puddings and Haggis are an aquired taste no comparison can be drawn with a pie. Hope your a little wiser now Brian, if not ask away.Regards Ian.
Ianto.W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2007, 18:47   #66
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxwell silver View Post
another Express Gifts
i heard senator was becoming like that at one point

another local buisness goin down the swanny just to save having to pay holiday pay etc

there shoud be rules stating that a company can only use temps to cover a set amount of hours , if there is enough hours to create a full time job then a full time job shoudl be on offer

it annoys me to see people get made redundant and then have 2 temps replace the worker just to save sick pay , holiday pay etc

i will give senator some credit as much as it pains me to do so but if a temp is good at their work there is quite often a job offered
chav1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2007, 18:52   #67
Resting in peace

Black puddings are made from blood mixed with cereal and other (secret) ingredients Brian, they are then shoved in an animal intestine 'like a sausage', Haggiss again is semi secret usual ingredients are sheep intestines,liver,kidney, heart etc mixed with bran or oats (no doubt our Scotish members will correct me) shoved into a sheeps stomach, usually eaten down here on Burns Night. Yuck.
Old 26-01-2007, 18:59   #68
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ianto.W. View Post
Black puddings are made from blood mixed with cereal and other (secret) ingredients Brian, they are then shoved in an animal intestine 'like a sausage', Haggiss again is semi secret usual ingredients are sheep intestines,liver,kidney, heart etc mixed with bran or oats (no doubt our Scotish members will correct me) shoved into a sheeps stomach, usually eaten down here on Burns Night. Yuck.
I don't know what they put in them up there,but with the missus being from north of the border i've tasted afew & it's like eating grit & they insist on frying them(like everything else). Boil me one from Bury anytime
Old 26-01-2007, 19:01   #69
☆ V.I.P Member ☆

BLACK PUDDINGS

2 litres blood
Casings, beef runners of large hog casings (optional)
3 onions, finely chopped
1 kg of suet or diced pork fat (back fat or bacon fat)
500ml double cream
500g oatmeal, soaked overnight in water)
500g barley, boiled in water for 30 minutes
2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon mixed herbs or ground coriander
1 teaspoon black pepper or cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon ground mace

YUMMY with mustard!!
Old 26-01-2007, 19:03   #70
☆ V.I.P Member ☆

....but i didnt know it was put in intestines!!
Old 26-01-2007, 19:04   #71
Yank in King Art's Court!

Thanks for the explanation! ( Although me Yorky cousin Ian I'd noted not to hear the Mrs. Begum story again as I'd read the "distastful," however intriguing, article!)

While over there in July I did my ancestors proper remembrance by at least trying the haggis and black pudding while staying in Bradford. Must admit Ian, your description has the memory of it coming back to me with all its glory (I meant gory me thinks ).

For some reason I couldn't get Annie to try it. Must be her Mom's French Canadian, Native American, and Swamp Yankee side. She loved seeing the lands of our ancestors but would only partake of the fish and chips and Blackpool Rock!

Brian

Just read the delightful recipe panther. I must run out for the ingrediants. Hmm, where to find the liters of blood!

Last edited by LancYorkYankee; 26-01-2007 at 19:06. Reason: Addition made
LancYorkYankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2007, 19:10   #72
Resting in peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxwell silver View Post
I don't know what they put in them up there,but with the missus being from north of the border i've tasted afew & it's like eating grit & they insist on frying them(like everything else). Boil me one from Bury anytime
Yes maxwell silver, Bury Black Puddings are the best in the world, you can buy them on Accy market so Brian can judge for himself, if he goes to Bury he will be able to eat them hot, as for Haggis it's not bad served with mashed turnips and swede, I wonder if the Irish will or do like Hollands pies? (trying to get back on thread.)
Old 26-01-2007, 19:22   #73
Resting in peace

Quote:
Panther,2 litres blood
You havent got two puncture marks in your neck have you Panther? Two litres of blood will make a good meal for a family of vampires never mind make a few Black Puddings..
Old 26-01-2007, 19:22   #74
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ianto.W. View Post
Yes maxwell silver, Bury Black Puddings are the best in the world, you can buy them on Accy market so Brian can judge for himself, if he goes to Bury he will be able to eat them hot, as for Haggis it's not bad served with mashed turnips and swede, I wonder if the Irish will or do like Hollands pies? (trying to get back on thread.)
Try all you like but i know where your coming from......haggiis with turnip & swede.....Mcbwwilliant
Old 27-01-2007, 09:38   #75
Resting in peace

All iv'e got left to say on this subject is, the Irish had better not get used to the idea of manufacturing Hollands pies, if things take their usual course it will be next stop China for Hollands.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..