Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Gremlin
  • 1 Post By Less
  • 1 Post By Big Joe
  • 1 Post By monkey hanger

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 25-07-2018, 00:19   #1

Hose pipe ban

Just read in telegraph,blue badge holders are exempt from the ban,they can watergarden, wash car,wash driveway etc.
Now I am a blue badge holder yet I don't think this is fair.When water is in short supply,WHO really needs to wash their car or water their garden?.I really do think the ban should apply to one and all.
boxermum is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 25-07-2018, 08:40   #2
Beacon of light

Re: Hose pipe ban

We all should be saving water...but United Utilities have a duty to maintain and service the infrastructure and deal with water leaks promptly.
This should come far above the desire to provide shareholders with a dividend...and sadly they do not do this.
At the beginning of this year I reported a water leak at the bottom of Burnley Road in Accrington.
I reported it not once, not twice, but four times. I did not see any action on dealing with that leak.

This is unacceptable.
Forgive me if I am wrong, but wasn't it United Utilities who were twice found to be permitting contaminated water to be supplied to their customers....were they not fined for this?
This money comes out of the pot that should be there to deal with infrastructure issues.
It is a commercial venture, it's whole reason for being is to make a profit...nothing else.

All that said, we have been saving water for a long time, it is a way of life.
I am just sad that more effort does not go into grey water projects....retaining the water from your bath or shower, your washing machine....this could then be used for those activities that the hosepipe ban will cover.
I have no garden, no plants....so my flagged yard will just have to wait to be swilled until the next downpour comes along.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2018, 08:48   #3
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxermum View Post
Just read in telegraph,blue badge holders are exempt from the ban,they can watergarden, wash car,wash driveway etc.
Now I am a blue badge holder yet I don't think this is fair.When water is in short supply,WHO really needs to wash their car or water their garden?.I really do think the ban should apply to one and all.
Surely this has got to be a joke.
What’s a blue badge got to do with using water.
They are to allow disabled people to park nearer the place they want to visit.
monkey hanger likes this.
Old 25-07-2018, 09:01   #4
Full Member+

Saints and Sinners Bingo Champion!
Bezerk Champion!

I think you have to be on a priority list for this to apply.
MITZY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2018, 09:25   #5
Senior Member+

I've just looked it up and it only applies to people who have difficulty carrying heavy watering cans, it does not include watering other peoples gardens or washing drives or cars.
Old 25-07-2018, 17:36   #6
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
Surely this has got to be a joke.
What’s a blue badge got to do with using water.
They are to allow disabled people to park nearer the place they want to visit.
What has a blue badge got to do with parking where no-one else is allowed to park?
There are parking bays supplied on car parks for the disabled to take advantage of, they should be grateful for that and not park inconsiderately just because they can.

Let the disabled lead the way, only take advantage of your blue badge because you have to, NOT just because you can.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 20:19   #7

I think the blue badge scheme when it was created was a very good thing sadly it is one of those things which is open to abuse ie people using a relatives blue badge when the relative isn't in the car or they are not on the relatives business which to be honest I always found odd. Someone fit and well can use a blue badge if they are on the business of the blue badge holder, I don't get that. also it has been announced that the scheme is being extended to people with non visible injuries such as bi polar ADHD etc. ANd others who have conditions which may make parking stressful. Hello everyone finds parking stressful. Now can I apply as I have a condition which makes parking stressful. Its called being a passenger when the wife drives!!!!!!
Old 02-08-2018, 09:10   #8
God Member

[QUOTE=Big Joe;1215379] Someone fit and well can use a blue badge if they are on the business of the blue badge holder, I don't get that.

i do less because i had a disabled step son. i had to regularly go up the the chemists for his medication. 15 minutes walk uphill to get there. also occasionally took him to wolves games home and away and used the facilities provided. only ever used the car whilst he was onboard and used my other car for work, dog walking and matches on my own. however its about time the regulations on blue badges are totally tightened up. as he used to say there would be more money in the pot for people who are properly disabled if all the abusers of schemes were outed.
Less likes this.
monkey hanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 05:54   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey hanger
as he used to say there would be more money in the pot for people who are properly disabled if all the abusers of schemes were outed.
Can I ask how removing the abusers will make more money in the pot?
Not that I agree with them abusing the scheme, I do not. However I'm puzzled by how it would add more money to the pot and what pot it is if the abusers were stopped?
RainbowSix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 06:01   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Joe View Post
Someone fit and well can use a blue badge if they are on the business of the blue badge holder, I don't get that.
I dont get it either, because they cannot according to the gov website.
RainbowSix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 08:45   #11
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainbowSix View Post
I dont get it either, because they cannot according to the gov website.
must have changed the rules since i did it legally.
Old 03-08-2018, 08:49   #12
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainbowSix View Post
Can I ask how removing the abusers will make more money in the pot?
Not that I agree with them abusing the scheme, I do not. However I'm puzzled by how it would add more money to the pot and what pot it is if the abusers were stopped?
i might not be really up on government spending budgets but i imagine X amount of money is set aside for disability allowances of all types. if those who abuse the system or should not be in the system in the first place are taken out of it there should be more for the others. knowing governments though they,d do the latter then reduce the budget.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..