Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 28-02-2008, 23:04   #46
Senior Member+

Re: Hospital infections

this is scaring me even more than i was already!

I finally found someone daft enough to marry me, my wonderboy is 11, my monkeygirl is 3 and my bananaman is 2, my beautiful little flower was born in feb 2012
emamum is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 28-02-2008, 23:13   #47
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by emamum23 View Post
ema ive had approx 12 ops in last 20 yrs possibly more n been fine every time, its tragic what happened to poor lozs mum, but ya aint got to let stuff like that prey on yer mind, there are these tragedys but in the minority n thats fact, in its way ya got to see it.
Old 29-02-2008, 01:06   #48
Loz

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
ema ive had approx 12 ops in last 20 yrs possibly more n been fine every time, its tragic what happened to poor lozs mum, but ya aint got to let stuff like that prey on yer mind, there are these tragedys but in the minority n thats fact, in its way ya got to see it.
I know what happened to my mum is rare(ish) but it doesn't stop me or other people being scared.
My dad has had numerous operations over the years and has never had a problem,maybe i am contradicting myself but it does seem to be on the rise and i am personally scared of being hospitalised.
Sorry if i don't make much sense had a few to many vodkas!
Old 27-04-2008, 06:47   #49
God Member

C- difficile features on Panorama tonight (Sunday)
BBC NEWS | Health | UK c.diff deaths 'rising sharply'
Alcohol wipes are useless against it.
I had it in 1980.
You can help your body defences against it by drinking probiotics.
See my earlier posts in this thread.
I have kefir grains to give away to anyone that wants some.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2008, 07:20   #50
God Member

without sounding like a broken record,...... I've said it before and will say it again , Hospitals will never be clean until the "old" battle axe matrons and Irish and West Indian ward sisters are brought back with enough power to motivate the the patients and the lazy ass cleaners, sod their 'human rights" about how "you can't speak to me like that" and "I have a union" if the lazy sods don't want to work and keep the places clean then fire them and hire eastern Europeans.
Also while your at it, probably half the Hospital administrators with "ology" degrees should go as well ....seems to me medicine has be taken out of the hands of the medical professionals and handed over to a bunch of P C dollopers
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2008, 09:17   #51
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeljack View Post
without sounding like a broken record,...... I've said it before and will say it again , Hospitals will never be clean until the "old" battle axe matrons and Irish and West Indian ward sisters are brought back with enough power to motivate the the patients and the lazy ass cleaners, sod their 'human rights" about how "you can't speak to me like that" and "I have a union" if the lazy sods don't want to work and keep the places clean then fire them and hire eastern Europeans.
Also while your at it, probably half the Hospital administrators with "ology" degrees should go as well ....seems to me medicine has be taken out of the hands of the medical professionals and handed over to a bunch of P C dollopers
Must agree steejack, but its now time that hospital management was taken out of the hands of politicians once and for all, nurses should be allowed to nurse, and not forever trying to meet targets, hospital agendas should be set by clinicians, not westminster politicians, and the all shooting match should be overseen by a tough as nails no nonsense matron
Old 27-04-2008, 13:11   #52
Apprentice Geriatric

Cool Re: Hospital infections

Hospital management should be firmly in the hands of someone with half a lifetime of experience in working in a hospital. Someone who started off as a trainee nurse and worked herself up through the nursing hierarchy to Matron.

By the time that someone got to be a Matron they knew it all. Patients and some skiving nurses could kid other nurses and even doctors but no one fooled a Matron.

Some hooray Henry with a university degree in management or accountancy hasn’t got a clue how to run a hospital.
Old 27-04-2008, 13:58   #53
God Member

A member of this forum lost both parent to mrsa within a year of each other, and was a fair number of years ago, both had gone to hospital for routine stuff, neother came home, it is far more common than many people think, to give an idea how long ago this was, compensation in those days would have been difficult to claim, not like the recent years of compensation nation culture we have developed.
Old 27-04-2008, 14:23   #54
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by derekgas View Post
A member of this forum lost both parent to mrsa within a year of each other, and was a fair number of years ago, both had gone to hospital for routine stuff, neother came home, it is far more common than many people think, to give an idea how long ago this was, compensation in those days would have been difficult to claim, not like the recent years of compensation nation culture we have developed.
It is very common, I worked in a nursing home ..... and most of our patients that had just returned from hospital, arrived with MRSA.

So much to say, I would take careful thought about having an operation that I didn't 100% need.

Miracles do happen!!

slinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2008, 14:24   #55
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by emamum23 View Post
turns out that was the thing i didnt need to worry about

I finally found someone daft enough to marry me, my wonderboy is 11, my monkeygirl is 3 and my bananaman is 2, my beautiful little flower was born in feb 2012
emamum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2008, 19:33   #56
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
C- difficile features on Panorama tonight (Sunday)
BBC NEWS | Health | UK c.diff deaths 'rising sharply'
Alcohol wipes are useless against it.
I had it in 1980.
You can help your body defences against it by drinking probiotics.
See my earlier posts in this thread.
I have kefir grains to give away to anyone that wants some.
Looks like they have 'pulled' that programme and they are repeating the one about toxic air in aeroplanes

Old 28-04-2008, 02:30   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambutty View Post
Hospital management should be firmly in the hands of someone with half a lifetime of experience in working in a hospital. Someone who started off as a trainee nurse and worked herself up through the nursing hierarchy to Matron.

By the time that someone got to be a Matron they knew it all. Patients and some skiving nurses could kid other nurses and even doctors but no one fooled a Matron.

Some hooray Henry with a university degree in management or accountancy hasn’t got a clue how to run a hospital.
The problem here is that trainee nurses no longer get the same training as they did years ago. There is too much emp0haisis on accademic qualifications instead of practical experience of emptying bed pans, making beds and cleaning under them.
Hospital management needs to be taken away from accademics/politicians and put firmly back into the hands of those with good old fashioned common sense. Ons suspects the eastern european cleaner might make a good Ward Manager.

also I believe large super hospitals help to spread diseases and are grossly inconvenient for the public, bring back the cottage hospital.
polly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2008, 06:15   #58
Resting in Peace

JB with regards to the use of cling film I will say that it could affect the reading if placed tightly over the arm but given that I work in the Pre-Hospital sector trying to roll out cling film when you need a BP pdq (pretty damn quick) to see if you can give drugs to help the pt to breathe or their heart to be eased then you don't try to cover it you just have to get the reading. Once in the A&E maybe it could be done that way but in a wrecked car where you need to know if the BP is enough to keep them alive..............

If badly contanimated I will (and have) thrown equipment away and had to go and beg, borrow or steal (from other stations stores not vehicles) until I get a replacement but as stores work Mon-Thus 09:00-17:00 Fri 09:00-16:00 and this happens at the weekend, on nights or over a bank holiday...................
Ber999T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2008, 08:18   #59
God Member

Today Monday I am watching the C-diff programme in full on the BBC website
BBC News Player - Panorama

Old 28-04-2008, 09:40   #60
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Today Monday I am watching the C-diff programme in full on the BBC website
BBC News Player - Panorama
I take it its still on tonight too Margaret, i seems to say so on the blurb on opening shot on the News Player

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..