Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 28-04-2008, 09:43   #61
God Member

Re: Hospital infections

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
I take it its still on tonight too Margaret, i seems to say so on the blurb on opening shot on the News Player
I hope so - but they originally said it was to be broadcast last night (Sunday) - so if you really want to see it I advise you to watch it now on the website - there may be something in it which 'the powers that be' object to, so it may get 'pulled' from tv again.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 28-04-2008, 19:34   #62
God Member

So..... it again has not been screened, but can be viewed online here-
BBC News Player - How Safe is Your Hospital?

Old 29-04-2008, 10:24   #63
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
So..... it again has not been screened, but can be viewed online here-
BBC News Player - How Safe is Your Hospital?
Just watched the prog on news player, I was a frightened about going into hospital before, I'm bloody terrified now. Its a bit rich when this country has a mortality rate 10 times great in over sixties from C-Dif than any other country in the civilised world
Old 29-04-2008, 14:50   #64
Give, give, give member

I watched Casualty 1908 on the BBC, which was based on the real people who either worked or were patients at the London Hospital, and the actual events that took place at the Edwardian East End, and I'm sure that under Matron's beady eye cleanliness was much more important an issue then it is now.

The weirdest thing was remebering that it was only forty years before the National Health Service was founded, and that then if you couldn't afford to pay for medicine or care, there was a high probability that you'd probably snuff it.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2008, 16:24   #65
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
I watched Casualty 1908 on the BBC, which was based on the real people who either worked or were patients at the London Hospital, and the actual events that took place at the Edwardian East End, and I'm sure that under Matron's beady eye cleanliness was much more important an issue then it is now.

The weirdest thing was remebering that it was only forty years before the National Health Service was founded, and that then if you couldn't afford to pay for medicine or care, there was a high probability that you'd probably snuff it.
You and me would have been up the creek Rindi
Old 16-05-2008, 01:23   #66
God Member

Is it not possible that we could all help in our own way to slow down or even alleviate these infections? As a visitor is it to much to ask that you take every precaution to try and prevent the spread of any infections by doing your own bit? We as a family have bought our own antibacterial hand gel and use the gel provided by the hospital as a back up. Surely if we can help to prevent infections it is all for the better and at less than two quid a bottle it must be worth it for your nearest and dearest!!!!
Old 16-05-2008, 01:26   #67
God Member

Sorry forgot to name the gel, it is Carex Antibacterial Hand Gel.
Old 16-05-2008, 10:08   #68
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by BERNADETTE View Post
Sorry forgot to name the gel, it is Carex Antibacterial Hand Gel.
Thats all well and good Bernie but when I'm admitted to hospital I ain't much bothered about cleaning my hands, I'm just wondering where my next breathe is coming from, although I've been to the RBH this week or an MOT and DID use the hand gel, twice
Old 16-05-2008, 11:25   #69
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
and DID use the hand gel, twice
Doing that does not protect you against C difficile
Clostridium difficile - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 16-05-2008, 16:49   #70
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Doing that does not protect you against C difficile
Clostridium difficile - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Yes I know that Margaret, thats what is so frightening, its bad enough being addmitted to hospital without having to deal with HAQIS in the bargain, t a time when your immune system is workin overtime to start with
Old 05-06-2008, 23:14   #71
God Member

Quote:
Red tape preventing Conquest from cutting hospital bugs - Hastings Today - Back to Home Page extract-
A recent study in the medical publication The Lancet showed 40 per cent of C diff infections are spread by hospital bed linen and gowns worn by patients.

Scientists have proved that standard laundry systems do not kill C diff and that it can be returned to hospital beds on apparently bug free sheets and blankets.

There is a laundry system which kills C Diff - it is called Otex, and kills the bug with ozone

But guidelines from the Department of Health, which are based on a piece of legislation from 1969, means the laundry system, called Otex, can only be used on mops and not sheets or other bed linen.

OTEX - Validated Ozone Disinfection

Beaurocracy dictates that higher temperatures than those acheived by the Otex system must be used on hospital linen----- so they can only kill C Diff on mops
Some good news in the Lancs Ev Tel- the system I mentioned in the above post has got as far as being tested- there is now hope
http://www.lancashireeveningtelegrap..._superbugs.php

Old 06-06-2008, 10:02   #72
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Some good news in the Lancs Ev Tel- the system I mentioned in the above post has got as far as being tested- there is now hope
http://www.lancashireeveningtelegrap..._superbugs.php
That is good news Margaret, but I'm just wondering how long it will take to implement if the test are successful
Old 06-06-2008, 20:59   #73

My Grandma's sister went into hospital for a small operation and caught a serious infection, cant remember its name but the last I heard she was in isolation.
Old 06-06-2008, 23:00   #74
God Member

Patients being transferred from Royal Blackburn to the GP ward at Accy Vic are now tested for MRSA, is that common practice in all transfers these days?
Old 06-06-2008, 23:17   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by BERNADETTE View Post
Patients being transferred from Royal Blackburn to the GP ward at Accy Vic are now tested for MRSA, is that common practice in all transfers these days?
Dunno if it is the norm to do that, always better to be safe than sorry, I wonder what each test costs and what it consists of.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..