Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 18-04-2007, 14:52   #1
Yank in King Art's Court!

How "bad off" are Americans?

I think this is a very well written commentary on America and it's whinyness. I would love to get Accywebs comments on some of this guys statements.

Brian

The commentary was written by Craig R. Smith and published on WorldNetDaily.com at Thanksgiving, 2006.

The other day I was reading Newsweek magazine and
came across some poll data I found rather hard to believe. It must be true given the source, right?
The Newsweek poll alleges that 67 percent of Americans are
unhappy with the direction the country is headed and 69 percent
of the country is unhappy with the performance of the president.
In essence, two-thirds of the citizenry just ain't happy; they want a change.

So, being the knuckle dragger I am, I started thinking, ''What are
we so unhappy about?'' Is it that we have electricity and running
water 24/7? Is our unhappiness the result of having air conditioning in the summer and heating in the winter? Could it be that 95.4% of these unhappy folks have a job? Maybe it is the ability to walk
into a grocery store at any time and see more food in moments
<B><SPAN style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold">than Darfur has seen in the last year?

Maybe it is the ability to drive from the Pacific Ocean to the
Atlantic Ocean without having to present identification papers as
we move through each state? Or possibly it's the hundreds of clean
and safe motels we find along the way, where we find temporary shelter?

I guess having thousands of restaurants with varying cuisine from around the world is just not good enough. Or could it be that when we wreck our car, emergency workers show up and provide services to help all and even send a helicopter to take us to the hospital?

Perhaps you are one of the 70% of Americans who own a home. You may be upset with knowing that in the unfortunate case of a fire, a group of trained firefighters will appear in moments and use top notch equipment to extinguish the flames. Thus they save you, your family and your belongings.

Or if, while at home watching one of your many flat screen TVs, a burglar or prowler intrudes, an officer equipped with a gun and a bullet-proof vest will come to defend you and your family against attack or loss. This all in the backdrop of a neighborhood free of bombs or militias raping and pillaging the residents. This in neighborhoods where 90% of the teenagers own cell phones and computers.

How about the complete religious, social and political freedoms we enjoy that are the envy of everyone in the world? Maybe that is what has 67% of you folks unhappy. Fact is, we are the largest group of ungrateful, spoiled brats the world has ever seen.

No wonder the world loves the U.S. , yet has a great disdain for its citizens. They see us for what we are. The most blessed people in the world who do nothing but complain about what we don't have , and what we hate about the country instead of thanking the good Lord we live here.

I know, I know. What about the president who took us into war and has no plan to get us out? The president with a a measly 31% approval rating? Is this the same president who guided the nation in the dark days after 9/11? The president that cut taxes to bring an economy out of recession?

Could this be the same guy who has been called every name in the book for succeeding in keeping all the spoiled ungrateful brats safe from terrorist attacks? The commander in chief of an all-volunteer army that is out there defending you and me?

Did you hear how bad the President is on the news or talk show? Did this news affect you so much, make you so unhappy you couldn't take a look around for yourself and see all the good things and be glad?

Think about it......are you upset at the President because he actually caused you personal pain OR is it because the "Media" told you he was failing to kiss your sorry ungrateful behind every day?

Make no mistake about it. The troops in Iraq and Afghanistan have volunteered to serve, and in many cases may have died for your freedom. There is currently no draft in this country. They didn't have to go. They are able to refuse to go and end up with either a ''general'' discharge, an ''other than honorable'' discharge or, worst case scenario, a ''dishonorable'' discharge after a few days in the brig. ;

So why then the flat-out discontentment in the minds of 69% of Americans? Say what you want, but I blame it on the media. "If it bleeds, it leads," and they specialize in bad news. Everybody will watch a car crash with blood and guts. How many will watch kids selling lemonade at the corner?

The media know this and media outlets are for-profit corporations. They offer what sells, and when criticized, try to defend their action s by "justifying" them in one way or another.

Just ask why they tried to allow a murderer like O.J. Simpson to write a book about how he "didn't kill his wife, but if he had, he would have done it his "way"......Insane!

Stop buying the negativism you are fed everyday by the media. Shut off the TV, burn Newsweek, and use The New York Times for the bottom of your bird cage. Then start thinking for yourself and concent rate on being grateful for all we have as a country. There is exponentially more good than bad.

We are among the most blessed people on Earth and should thank God several times a day, or at least be have an attitude of appreciation.

One thought puzzles me: "With hurricanes, tornados, fires out of
control, mud slides, flooding, severe thunderstorms tearing up the
country from one end to another, and with the threat of bird flu and
terrorist attacks, are we sure this is a good time to take God
out of the Pledge of Allegiance?"
Jay Leno

Last edited by LancYorkYankee; 18-04-2007 at 14:56.
LancYorkYankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 18-04-2007, 16:12   #2
God Member

Re: How "bad off" are Americans?

*No wonder the world loves the U.S.*

Oh no it doesn't !!! Your foreign policy is based on the need for oil. You are known as one of the worst for emitting greenhouse gases. We are wary of the upsurge of your Christian fundamentalists who seem to be waging a crusade against other religions. Your constitutional right to bear arms makes it a dangerous place to live.

Last edited by MargaretR; 18-04-2007 at 16:13. Reason: typo
MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2007, 16:39   #3

If one believes the rash of polls......which I don't. There are a few legitimate and honest pollsters, of course. But it seems that far too many of the polls taken are done by the media outlets themselves and then immediately turned into a news story. I'd like to see all of the "internals" and find out how the questions are asked. It isn't hard to get the answers you want if you phrase the questions in a certain way.

Margaret, you seem to have fallen for the prevailing pap you see on t.v. I am an American by choice not by birth. It's an amazing country and I am very thankful and proud to live here.
bullseyebarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2007, 17:01   #4
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullseyebarb View Post
If one believes the rash of polls......which I don't. There are a few legitimate and honest pollsters, of course. But it seems that far too many of the polls taken are done by the media outlets themselves and then immediately turned into a news story. I'd like to see all of the "internals" and find out how the questions are asked. It isn't hard to get the answers you want if you phrase the questions in a certain way.

Margaret, you seem to have fallen for the prevailing pap you see on t.v. I am an American by choice not by birth. It's an amazing country and I am very thankful and proud to live here.
I beleive Tv journalism in this country to be of a high standard, and much of it its content is not dictated by commercial interests(ie not ruled by 'our sponsor')
I think that many Americans wrongly believe that they are 'god's gift' to the world and they will be the saviour of western civilisation - (even for those who don't want or need 'saving'.)
This sanctimonious holier than thou attitude is not condusive to popularity

Last edited by MargaretR; 18-04-2007 at 17:04.
Old 18-04-2007, 17:14   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
I beleive Tv journalism in this country to be of a high standard, and much of it its content is not dictated by commercial interests(ie not ruled by 'our sponsor')
I think that many Americans wrongly believe that they are 'god's gift' to the world and they will be the saviour of western civilisation - (even for those who don't want or need 'saving'.)
This sanctimous holier than thou attitude is not condusive to popularity
O.K. then. Don't bother calling us the next time there's trouble on that side of the pond. We'll just sit here and watch Europe circle the drain. Well, it's doing that anyway. A civilization that isn't prepared to make a stand to save itself isn't worth saving.
Old 18-04-2007, 17:18   #6
God Member

It has just taken us over 50 years to PAY for the 'help' you last gave us. The recent war you talked us into in Iraq was about your need for oil.

Last edited by MargaretR; 18-04-2007 at 17:21.
Old 18-04-2007, 17:38   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
It has just taken us over 50 years to PAY for the 'help' you last gave us. The recent war you talked us into in Iraq was about your need for oil.
Oh, so you think American taxpayers should pick up the tab for everything? And perhaps you are forgetting all of those serving in the U.S. military who gave their lives to liberate Europe.

Oil. Oh, that old saw again? Please, play us another tune would you?
Old 18-04-2007, 17:42   #8
God Member

I see America as incredibly capitalist. Capitalism works off supply and demand, the flaw being that resources are finite and Amercia have to secure those resources at whatever cost, to continue their survival.

Even though we went to war with Iraq also, I don't think the rest of the world works in the same way, I hope they can see that we can still have a free market but it needs to be somewhat regulated, somewhat controlled, to ensure sustainability. America doesn't seem to care about anybody but itself. Huge generalisation I know, and im not saying any Americans on this forum are at all like that, but its how the present president paints his image to the world.
Old 18-04-2007, 17:42   #9
Give, give, give member

We must remember Margaret that those damn Yankies do sometimes invade countries without oil...like the British Commonwealth island of Greneda, which they did in 1981.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2007, 17:56   #10
God Member

There's an arrogance among those who rule America that just p***es most of the rest of the world off. It's a swaggering, bullying attitude which is not shared by the majority of the American people. The American government seems determined to shove their brand of democracy down the throats of everyone they think they can beat the crap out of. Right now the Iraqis are saying no; we may not like the "language" they are using, but it's their country that has been ruined.

If America wants to be the world's policeman, it is going to run into a heck of a lot more problems ... unless of course, another invasion of Grenada is planned.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2007, 18:00   #11
God Member

on a lighter note

you couldn't have done it without John Wayne

Old 18-04-2007, 18:01   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyfr View Post
I see America as incredibly capitalist. Capitalism works off supply and demand, the flaw being that resources are finite and Amercia have to secure those resources at whatever cost, to continue their survival.

Even though we went to war with Iraq also, I don't think the rest of the world works in the same way, I hope they can see that we can still have a free market but it needs to be somewhat regulated, somewhat controlled, to ensure sustainability. America doesn't seem to care about anybody but itself. Huge generalisation I know, and im not saying any Americans on this forum are at all like that, but its how the present president paints his image to the world.
We have our own resources - but thanks to the radical environmentalists in this country who, (for whatever reason), seem to have a death grip on congress, we haven't been drilling for oil, haven't built a new refinery in over 30 years - nor any new nuclear facilities. If you are under the impression that our capitalist system has no restraints placed upon it by government, you are sadly mistaken. There are far too many regulations, rules and taxes.

The president has no chance to paint his true image. His opponents and the press do that for him. A grave mistake to allow others to define you.
Old 18-04-2007, 18:12   #13
Yank in King Art's Court!

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
We must remember Margaret that those damn Yankies do sometimes invade countries without oil...like the British Commonwealth island of Greneda, which they did in 1981.
Darn straight we did Rindy. We knew you British were building a huge military force in Grenada and we had to take you down!

The reason I submitted the thread was more to show how spoiled/ill-informed we as Americans have become. Thank you Eric for the sentiments that very very few of our Politicians and even fewer of our Media outlets share the typical Americans view on things!

So Margaret for all your hatred against everyone in the USA, your facts that everything America has done in it's 400 years of existence has been to rape and pillage and give nothing back to the world is merely your very narrow minded opinion (IMO).

Trust me, I would not think there is any American who has ever fully supported everything our government has done. Either good or bad.

For example, WWI many Americans (including all of my family) thought we should have gone in much earlier. Then there was the bunch who still thought we should never have gone in. I feel the same way about WWII.

All I'm saying is please don't lump us all into this one pile of manure as you see it. We have many individual piles of manure here in America. Some use it to stink people away. and others use it as a fertilizer to assist in the growth beautiful flowers and delishes fuits and vegetables.

Now Barb, slow down and breathe! Everyone has varied opinions and I'm glad we are able to share and explain various sides of issues!

LancYorkYankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2007, 18:13   #14
God Member

Old 18-04-2007, 19:13   #15
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LancYorkYankee View Post
Darn straight we did Rindy. We knew you British were building a huge military force in Grenada and we had to take you down!

The reason I submitted the thread was more to show how spoiled/ill-informed we as Americans have become. Thank you Eric for the sentiments that very very few of our Politicians and even fewer of our Media outlets share the typical Americans view on things!

So Margaret for all your hatred against everyone in the USA, your facts that everything America has done in it's 400 years of existence has been to rape and pillage and give nothing back to the world is merely your very narrow minded opinion (IMO).

Trust me, I would not think there is any American who has ever fully supported everything our government has done. Either good or bad.

For example, WWI many Americans (including all of my family) thought we should have gone in much earlier. Then there was the bunch who still thought we should never have gone in. I feel the same way about WWII.

All I'm saying is please don't lump us all into this one pile of manure as you see it. We have many individual piles of manure here in America. Some use it to stink people away. and others use it as a fertilizer to assist in the growth beautiful flowers and delishes fuits and vegetables.

Now Barb, slow down and breathe! Everyone has varied opinions and I'm glad we are able to share and explain various sides of issues!
I do know that it is very easy to sit back and bitch at the Americans. But America is huge, immensely powerful, and unbelievably diverse. It's so hard to talk about America without falling into generalizations ... that is why so much criticism doesn't seem fair. One can generalize about the government because it has policies and agendas, but it does not speak for all Americans, nor does it represent them all. Some things bring Americans together, the VT tragedy will do it, 9-11 did it, support for the troops in Iraq does it. But on all other issues Americans are as divided as are those in other great democracies.

Perhaps one can see the weakness of America in its power, and its strength in its diversity.

America is, among all nations, the world's celebrity. It is there, in the news all the time. But like all celebs, it is scrutinized, criticized, castigated, ridiculed, in fact, subject to all the forms of nastiness that living in the spotlike brings.

Perhaps this is a fair price Americans have to pay for having it so good. After all being rich and unpopular, as a country, is a hell of a lot better than being weak and impoverished.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..