Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 13-06-2005, 22:52   #1
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

How Can We Slow Down Cars In Built Up Areas?

Gatso's don't work - cars just slow down for the camera then speed up after it.
Speed bumps/cushions etc don't work.
Chicane's don't work - they only slow down 1 car (the waiting one) while another tries to nip through
Old 13-06-2005, 22:59   #2
Give, give, give member

Re: How Can We Slow Down Cars In Built Up Areas?

grass verges,

or having all lawned roads will slow down traffic.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2005, 00:01   #3
I am Banned

i agree somthing needs doing

its a damn disgrace that kids cant play outside their own houses in built up areas because some idiot has to show off how fast his car is or how loud his new shiny exhaust is

maybe we should have hidden traps which pop tires when driven over at over 10mph on a street

it makes me angry when som moron pulls off the main road and continues to drive at 40mph pluss and look disgusted when they have to stop because a child happens to be playing outside its house

i could tell you about the time i was working on my house and a nutter sped up my street and got a hammer thrown at his car for his effort when he stopped at the junction

boy was he upset lol

i think the only way to stop people speeding is to have cociquences that damage their cars as they dont care about fines and points as much as they do their precious paintwork or new big bore exhausts

Last edited by chav1; 14-06-2005 at 00:09.
chav1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2005, 00:22   #4
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

agree something should be done,its not just people speeding down streets,theres a few richard heads round our streets that come out of their homes and set off tyres schreeching like at a formula 1 racetrack- they all seem to be young men/boys that do it as well.
Old 14-06-2005, 00:38   #5

look how many speed bumps are around. every street you turn on there are speed bumps and still nothing changes
Steph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2005, 08:33   #6
Senior Member+

That's probably because they are pretend bumps.

In my younger days when they installed them we used to see how fast we could go over them - anything much above 40 and you didn't feel it.

Now that I have kids of my own I tend to be more careful...

vorlon24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2005, 08:48   #7
God Member

How about instead of trying to automate stuff, get plod back on the beat to detect it and give meaningful sentences to those speeding or driving recklessly. Say 1st offence, 30 days without your car. 2nd = 60 and so on. Anyone caught driving whilst 'banned' has license removed for 12 months or goes to clink for 30 days.

As I have said before, if you want to stop crime the punishment has to be a meaningful deterrent. Stop fannying around with civil liberties and do something. If you don't break the law you have nothing to fear.

Ian
entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2005, 08:52   #8
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by entwisi
Anyone caught driving whilst 'banned' has license removed for 12 months or goes to clink for 30 days.
On Traffic Cops last night, one of the people caught driving while banned had his disqualification increased by 3 years.

I agree there should be a greater Police presence. If I was a policeman I would have caught out so many people who use their mobile phones and generally drive dangerously.

People who are disqualified should be made to resit their test, but make it a much more stringent one

Old 14-06-2005, 09:30   #9
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Increasing someones ban for driving while banned is a little odd to me. They obviously did not care that they had no licence in the first place. It should be instant prison. When someone get's a ban they should be told that if they drive while disqualified they will have to spend the rest of the ban in prison because obviously they can not be trusted to not drive.
Old 14-06-2005, 09:34   #10
Senior Member+

That would be a good idea, and train them to drive properly on their release (at the cost of the driver) with a test at the end.

No licence until they pass, and prison again if they get caught again

Old 14-06-2005, 10:55   #11
Senior Member+

I think drivers should have to re-take their test every so often, as i think alot of people forget how to drive ( or at least how they are ment to drive)!

Maybe if you only let people drive who have children that way maybe they might be a little more underdstanding.

Oh well this will be one of those topics that will never be solved there will always be lunatics on the road who think the road belongs to them and then theres the drink drivers and so on, Things wont change until the people do.
MUMMIBOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2005, 11:20   #12

We down in Clayton at the Enfield Residents committee have been trying to get something done about the Atlas St rat run. We have suggested all manners of options but it is apparently up to your good local councillors at County Hall in Preston to decide what to do. Anything that costs more than a fiver & forget it. Speed humps are regulated by EEc directives & should stand no more than 100mm high & be no closer than 25 metres from a water course(drain etc). I know, you show me one that meets this reg, it seems councils are happier passing claims for damage on to their insurers that meet legal requirements. Then again, a fatal road accident costs around £250,000 plus to deal with but apparently councillors don't do GCSE Maths or they won't get elected, I presume.
Old 14-06-2005, 13:05   #13
God Member

Quote:
How Can We Slow Down Cars In Built Up Areas
Well! I think, seen as women are good safe drivers anyway and don't need any incentive to slow down, what about Government funding for pretty, large breasted ladies to stand naked on each street corner to slow the men down!
Old 14-06-2005, 13:27   #14
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinkerbelle
Well! I think, seen as women are good safe drivers anyway and don't need any incentive to slow down, what about Government funding for pretty, large breasted ladies to stand naked on each street corner to slow the men down!

Or pretty men for some? Lollllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll :0

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2005, 13:35   #15
God Member

well if the government are going to bring in this new road tax which monitors using GPS to price sections of road, surely they could use the same system to use GPS with speed limit zones therefore if u drive at 40 in a 30 zone then the system logs this and automatically sends u a ticket with fine and points on license that would stop people, becasue the only way to prevent people from speeding is a strong deterant the best being one which hits them in the pocket where it hurts

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..