Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 19-09-2008, 11:55   #16
Senior Member+

Re: How long before first Christmas Decorations are up?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nori Brick View Post
you call the people that put their decerations up early sados, but what about the people that don't even bother to take them down?
mr christmas? Mr Christmas 'devastated ' as Queen declines speech offer | Mail Online

mine usually go up at the beginning of dec.

I finally found someone daft enough to marry me, my wonderboy is 11, my monkeygirl is 3 and my bananaman is 2, my beautiful little flower was born in feb 2012
emamum is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 19-09-2008, 11:59   #17

Ours will be up on 1st Dec. They will be down again before the New Year, sick of the sight of them by then
Old 19-09-2008, 16:06   #18
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by mthead View Post
Just thought as we are nearing the end of September,won't be long before the first sado puts Festive decorations upDont get me wrong I enjoy Christmas and the New Year but,its getting near that time when some people sort being abit premature
they are up all year in Accy on the outside market :-)
magpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2008, 17:46   #19

Ossy Mills have a fine selection of artificial Christmas trees!
ossylass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2008, 18:05   #20
God Member

My outdoor lights are already up. But that's because I never took them down. I spent two frigid days on a ladder last year; so now that the sob's are up they can damn well stay up ... but I won't turn them on until my birthday (which is Dec. 1, for all those who wish to send expensive gifts)
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2008, 18:16   #21
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
My outdoor lights are already up. But that's because I never took them down. I spent two frigid days on a ladder last year; so now that the sob's are up they can damn well stay up ... but I won't turn them on until my birthday (which is Dec. 1, for all those who wish to send expensive gifts)
Suet on it's way.
Benipete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2008, 20:20   #22
God Member

I love Christmas when it actually arrives but I don't want to know about it before December.

Before I had children I would put the tree up round about Dec 20th.....now I cave in to pressure and put it up round about Dec 12th.....I can't do it any sooner, I'd go mad!

I take it down on New Year's Day.
Old 19-09-2008, 20:22   #23
Caz
God Member

Quote:
we aint put last years up yet..
We neither... might put this years up in 2009 lol! Dunno though, after 37 years of xmas for the kids, it gets a bit of a chore and pointless! Even annoys me that I am supposed to have turkey for dinner and all that goes with it... loved it when they were little but now...
just call me Ebenezer Cazzer

I am not young enough to know everything.
- Oscar Wilde
Caz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2008, 20:27   #24
Resident Waffler

I love Christmas too but only in its place. Our decorations go up at the beginning of advent and come down by twelfth night.

We haven't even had Hallowe'en and bonfire night yet - there'll be Easter eggs in the shops soon!

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2008, 20:35   #25
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp View Post
I love Christmas too but only in its place. Our decorations go up at the beginning of advent and come down by twelfth night.

We haven't even had Hallowe'en and bonfire night yet - there'll be Easter eggs in the shops soon!
Halloween is one that I absolutely loathe.

I shut my curtains at 4.30pm on the 31st Oct, the doorbell rings incessantly but I never answer it.

Hate Halloween.....go away!
Old 19-09-2008, 20:54   #26
Caz
God Member

Quote:
Halloween is one that I absolutely loathe.

I shut my curtains at 4.30pm on the 31st Oct, the doorbell rings incessantly but I never answer it.

Hate Halloween.....go away! Today 21:27
You're not the only one! We seem to import everything that the Americans do over the last decade or so. Why on earth should I give money or sweets to someone who comes to my door wearing some sort of outfit, be it good or not...then be called a misery for not participating.
Then it's "penny for the guy" ....often non existent...
Then not long after that we have the Carol singers..
I will throw money in a bucket at an organised caroling event, if i think they are good, but they are totally ignored when they come to the door.

The other American thing that gets my goat is the Prom evenings these days.
My older kids didn't go through any of that, but the younger boys had it. £25 quid for a meal, new suits..... only got out of the limo expense because they were doing "Pop Idol" at the Town Hall the same evening, so had to be rushed to the Dunk in a taxi afterwards.

I am not young enough to know everything.
- Oscar Wilde
Caz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2008, 23:35   #27
Resident Waffler

I like Hallowe'en because we bring out our lifesize witch and decorate the house in spooky fashion.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2008, 23:41   #28
white rabbits

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp View Post
I like Hallowe'en because we bring out our lifesize witch and decorate the house in spooky fashion.
Me too willow, i love the kids comming round,,,its got now that the kids that came round years ago are bringing their little ones...We are just big kids at heart
Old 20-09-2008, 08:18   #29
God Member

the sooner the better christmas is brilliant,halloween and bon-fire night are as well kids have to have fun sometimes.this country is getting so miserable no wonder we have an angry generation of juviniles when the adults are so miserable and dont know how to have fun without gettin ****ed up no future no fun = angry drugged up generation of kids ............anyway im off to have some funits a jumpin jack flash....
cmonstanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2008, 08:54   #30
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cazzer View Post
You're not the only one! We seem to import everything that the Americans do over the last decade or so. Why on earth should I give money or sweets to someone who comes to my door wearing some sort of outfit, be it good or not...then be called a misery for not participating.
Then it's "penny for the guy" ....often non existent...
Then not long after that we have the Carol singers..
I will throw money in a bucket at an organised caroling event, if i think they are good, but they are totally ignored when they come to the door.

The other American thing that gets my goat is the Prom evenings these days.
My older kids didn't go through any of that, but the younger boys had it. £25 quid for a meal, new suits..... only got out of the limo expense because they were doing "Pop Idol" at the Town Hall the same evening, so had to be rushed to the Dunk in a taxi afterwards.
Not to mention the dreaded baby showers that have crept in recently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmonstanley View Post
the sooner the better christmas is brilliant,halloween and bon-fire night are as well kids have to have fun sometimes.this country is getting so miserable no wonder we have an angry generation of juviniles when the adults are so miserable and dont know how to have fun without gettin ****ed up no future no fun = angry drugged up generation of kids ............anyway im off to have some funits a jumpin jack flash....
We'll have to disagree on that one. For me there is nothing about going round to folk's houses, frightening the life out of them and begging for money and sweets that comes under the banner of fun.

You are right when you say that fun can be had without drugs and alcohol though....on halloween when the curtains are drawn and we're pretending we're not in me and the kids will be playing matching pairs or snakes and ladders. Hey, we know how to enjoy ourselves.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..