Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 15-03-2006, 15:53   #16
Resting in Peace

Re: How many???

not that a moderator would tell a member on here what to do Neil,But
because then other people would not know what NOT to say to the new members
and if i had deleted the post and it was 1 of yours you would be shouting from the roof tops about having a post deleted .
just like most members do when one of there posts are deleted and i did say MOST not all before you all have a go at me hehe

Last edited by Mick; 15-03-2006 at 16:02.
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 15-03-2006, 20:16   #17
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Did I shout about having a post deleted?
I think most of my posts should probably be deleted
Old 15-03-2006, 20:50   #18
God Member

I use the New Posts button to see what's been going on but I don't bother with any of the introduction threads. I wonder if it's possible to have them not showing in the New Posts section?

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2006, 22:31   #19
Junior Member+

Because he's a moderator and his job is to moderate and not just delete/edit post's because he doesn't like them! Other people like me appreciate the moderators comments.....Even though they are 'mods' they are still entitled to their own opinion!

This was in reply to Neils post.

Last edited by Lockie25; 15-03-2006 at 22:34.
Lockie25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2006, 23:09   #20
Len
God Member

Then again... if post counts weren’t to count in the "introduce yourself" section then the new members would probably only have half a dozen or so members welcoming them to the site rather than the 20 – 30+ members welcoming them.
Better to have a big welcome rather than a little welcome even though most are only doing it for the money, sorry points. Hehe

I bet most of the new members post in the “introduce yourself” section just to see how many members actually welcome them to the site, like they’ve seen with others.
If the norm was only two or three members bothering welcoming people then they probably wouldn’t bother posting them selves and to be honest it’s a great way to start your first thread.

I do agree... it’s a pain, when some one welcomes 10 new members all in a go. hehe

Donate to Accyweb here:

Last edited by Len; 15-03-2006 at 23:13.
Len is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2006, 23:21   #21
white rabbits

everyday we could say .....WELCOME TO ALL NEW MEMBERS....but then it wouldent mean much ...
Old 16-03-2006, 08:43   #22
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lockie25
..Even though they are 'mods' they are still entitled to their own opinion....
I think the answer to that is yes they are and no they are not. Everybody is entitled to their own opinion as long as stating it is within the rules. As a moderator you have to be seen as whiter than white. This is why you won't find our mods joining in with the odd thread wonder etc (even if they are funny ones). I think being a mod is a difficult job, they obviously care a lot about the forum to want to moderate it but at the same time it restricts how they join in. Many people won't disagree with them like they would a normal user making the same commets.
Take a look at the Stanley section. They have there own mods seperate to this side of the forum. No one knows who they are. They moderate with one username and post with another as just normal mortals. This is so they can join in like the rest of us.
Old 16-03-2006, 08:51   #23
Resting in Peace

ER just to let you know Neil talking about the moderators on site IS against the site rules so back to the thread please .
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2006, 10:34   #24
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle
I use the New Posts button to see what's been going on but I don't bother with any of the introduction threads. I wonder if it's possible to have them not showing in the New Posts section?
You should be paying close attention to the introduction threads Gayle, what if P.B. joined and you weren't there to welcome him?
It would be the end of a close and meaningful relationship before it even got a chance to begin.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2006, 11:17   #25
Junior Member+

Please excuse me for making a suggestion on here as i am new, but if someone just wants to play Arcade games what is to stop them joining the sites of neighbouring towns and joining and playing games on these other sites?
Don't think people join just to play games but for general interests and learning that bit more about things.

wont2no is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2006, 12:02   #26
Len
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wont2no
Please excuse me for making a suggestion on here as i am new, but if someone just wants to play Arcade games what is to stop them joining the sites of neighbouring towns and joining and playing games on these other sites?
Don't think people join just to play games but for general interests and learning that bit more about things.

Hi wont2no
As you say there is nothing at all stopping people for going elsewhere that’s everyone’s choice. Accyweb has an excellent arcade and I would say it’s one of the best and it does attract many visitors, which is good for sites like this as it helps increase the membership count. The arcade has attracted many visitors from all over the world such as USA, New Zealand etc and the only thing they are interested in is the arcade as they will have no knowledge of Accrington or its surrounding areas. We don’t have a problem with new members using the arcade but it would be nice if they were to at least say hello and tell us were they are from etc, this is why all new members have to at least make 5 posts before they can use the arcade, it gives them the chance to introduce them selves.

Donate to Accyweb here:

Last edited by Len; 16-03-2006 at 12:04.
Len is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2006, 15:36   #27
God Member

I'm not sure I want to get to know people that won't post in the forums or come in to chat again. If they're not interested in posting, or me, why force them to. Just let em go straight in the the arcade. I can't say as I've really looked in there but I'll take your word on how good it is.
Phylum joined this forum, she joined it becuase she likes forums, and is already on other forums that had links to here. She doesn't post because she feels she got abuse and racism. Not that I mind cos she's on our forum now. erm, negative karma and nasty comments, that really helps to get newbies to post more doesn't it. If I wasn't so thick skinned from being on wap chat rooms and wap forums which are full of abuse I'd have left not long after I got here. I don't think newbies should get negative until they get to 50 karma or a hundred posts, it's hard to understand why people need to make sly nasty unsigned comments that you can't reply to cos you don't know who's said it and is enough to put most off. Sort of cancels out your welcome post threads in one swoop. If you can't give positive why not just do nothing and give your opinion in the thread where everyone can see it.
Part of the reason for the above is people don't understand the karma system, its not obvious where the thread is explaining it, It was weeks before I found it. Also whats this Akers system all about? I can't find any reason for it. I've found something about pets, but dunno what it's going on about. Where do i get them, Where's this shop?
Come and write every night, chat with a hula melody
Madhatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2006, 18:14   #28
God Member

They all head for the arcade so does that mean its a demon place to visit?

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2006, 20:25   #29
Beacon of light

I think it would be good to know a bit more about the new members.....for instance what drew them to Accyweb, and do they have any links to the town. And Yes, the Arcade is good....I thought I was too old to go in the Arcade......but I love it......(even if I am rubbish at all the games)!
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2006, 21:13   #30
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madhatter
Also whats this Akers system all about? I can't find any reason for it. I've found something about pets, but dunno what it's going on about. Where do i get them, Where's this shop?
The Ackers system (accrington web virtual money) was introduced by Roy to pay people for posting in all the topics except, anything goes & Introduce yourself.
The idea was and eventually will be again to be able to go to the shops and buy yourself a fancy title or gifts for other members.
The money could also be used to buy yourself one of the petz, then you would have to work hard posting just to feed the little b*gger!

On the last update these options were suspended temporarily (though it does seem to be getting permanent), Roy does intend to put them back at some time but his priority at the moment is ensuring he earns a living to keep his family.

If you do a search for petz you will see how popular they were:-
http://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f...?highlight=toy

Another good thing from the shop was the thief item where you could buy permission to steal Ackers from other members I think Staggers became the most successful thief!
Less is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..