Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-05-2013, 10:56   #31
Resting in Peace

Re: How much was your gas bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
I am desperately trying to get my allergies under control so I can use gas again.

I have tried Benadryl - nausea, - infra red light treatment up my nose - no help, - Butterbar extract - nausea again , - Prevalin nasal spray - slight relief only.

The silver birch trees I am surrounded with are in full scale reproduction mode right now.
The tree pollen count is 'high' here today and tomorrow.
I have had some Loratadine lozenges delivered today - fingers crossed for some relief.

I am hoping that control of pollen allergy will have a secondary effect of lessening my reaction to natural gas - by lessening my histamine production.

I have three Air-Free machines which are supposed to incinerate pollen and dust mites, as well as two air filtration machines.

I am trying ( Less will agree )

Having no gas causes no hot water on tap - filling a bucket from the electric shower is very inconvenient - thank goodness I have a dishwasher.
I'm lucky that way I'm only allergic to tree pollen (grass and flowers are fine) but there are very few really near my place, must be hard work when they are right outside your window Margaret
jaysay is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 02-05-2013, 14:19   #32
Senior Member+

Quote:
I am desperately trying to get my allergies under control so I can use gas again.

I have tried Benadryl - nausea, - infra red light treatment up my nose - no help, - Butterbar extract - nausea again , - Prevalin nasal spray - slight relief only.

The silver birch trees I am surrounded with are in full scale reproduction mode right now.
The tree pollen count is 'high' here today and tomorrow.
I have had some Loratadine lozenges delivered today - fingers crossed for some relief.

I am hoping that control of pollen allergy will have a secondary effect of lessening my reaction to natural gas - by lessening my histamine production.

I have three Air-Free machines which are supposed to incinerate pollen and dust mites, as well as two air filtration machines.

I am trying ( Less will agree )

Having no gas causes no hot water on tap - filling a bucket from the electric shower is very inconvenient - thank goodness I have a dishwasher.
I`ve heard eating locally made honey works wonders with pollen allergies.
Discovery Health "Pollen, Insects and You: Things to Know Before You Die"
gpick24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 17:47   #33
Senior Member+

[QUOTE=MargaretR;1056901]I have resurrected this thread from 3 years ago, because my annual fuel bill has increased from £876 to £1906.

I ceased using gas last summer for medical reasons and bought two electric convector heaters (1KW and 1.5Kw). They have a built in thermostats so I can control the heat at 24C in the lounge and 22C in the bedroom. (No heat in bathroom and kitchen, but doors never close here.) I expected electric heating to cost a bit more than gas - but I didn't expect it to more than double!, even taking into account price increases

I recall it is not long ago that the press were saying that the fuel costs of a three bed semi were about £1800 - I have a one bed flat with low ceilings.
/QUOTE]

MargaretR, you'll be paying about 4 times as much per therm for electric as you would for gas, probably about 15 or 16 pence/therm including charges.
Gas(with charges) should work out about 4 pence/therm.

You've stopped using gas for medical reasons? Didn't you have a new condenser boiler c/h system put in a couple of years ago? A system like that will be sealed and no gas or exhaust gas should get into your flat.
If you think using the gas c/h system affected you get it checked urgently- it could be you have a leak in the system and that could be dangerous!Even fatal. Don't forget if it's the gas leaking it could still be leaking even if you're not using it.
Less likes this.

Last edited by Gordon Booth; 02-05-2013 at 17:50.
Gordon Booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 19:42   #34
God Member

Margaret, have you thought of emigrating for the winter somewhere warm? Will probably be cheaper than trying to keep warm in the UK. A nice out of town rental in the med or north Africa would be a good bet

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 22:23   #35

I met a woman from Canada - she didn't go out in winter 'cos it was too cold & couldn't go out in summer 'cos of allergies. She used to come to England for a break!
davebtelford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 15:40   #36
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Booth View Post

MargaretR, you'll be paying about 4 times as much per therm for electric as you would for gas, probably about 15 or 16 pence/therm including charges.
Gas(with charges) should work out about 4 pence/therm.

You've stopped using gas for medical reasons? Didn't you have a new condenser boiler c/h system put in a couple of years ago? A system like that will be sealed and no gas or exhaust gas should get into your flat.
If you think using the gas c/h system affected you get it checked urgently- it could be you have a leak in the system and that could be dangerous!Even fatal. Don't forget if it's the gas leaking it could still be leaking even if you're not using it.
The gas meter is 'capped off' so there is no residual gas in the piping system. The landlord's gas fitter did it when he came to do the annual appliance check. I had bought a methane detector as a precaution before that was done. I gave away my gas cooker and got an electric one.

When deciding this drastic action, I was influenced by this info -

Natural Gas: Avoidable Health Hazard

the health hazards of natural gas, by agnes malouf and david winberly

A warmer climate for the winter? - I wish.

There are so many reasons why I can't.

1 - recycled air in jet planes.
2 - epidemics on cruise ships ( I can't swim and I had C-diff once*, next time it would kill me off)
3 - I don't like being exposed to people ( they are so very polluting physically and mentally)
4 - Travelling alone I would be vulnerable. I was once taken ill in central France*. The experience of a foreign hospital wasn't pleasant.
5 - I have control over my home environment - a rented apartment would be hazardous for me. (Ocado couldn't deliver groceries)

Yesterday I spent time browsing the web for better/more economical electric heaters and have ordered a halogen one.

There may be a chance of having the gas heating back on for next winter if the anti-histamine drug I started using 2 days ago works. I hate pharmacutical products, and this one even has aspartamine in it .

It would be nice to have a 'normal life' again.

Last edited by MargaretR; 04-05-2013 at 15:49.
MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 08:50   #37
Resting in Peace

Quote:
The gas meter is 'capped off' so there is no residual gas in the piping system. The landlord's gas fitter did it when he came to do the annual appliance check. I had bought a methane detector as a precaution before that was done. I gave away my gas cooker and got an electric one.

When deciding this drastic action, I was influenced by this info -

Natural Gas: Avoidable Health Hazard

the health hazards of natural gas, by agnes malouf and david winberly

A warmer climate for the winter? - I wish.

There are so many reasons why I can't.

1 - recycled air in jet planes.
2 - epidemics on cruise ships ( I can't swim and I had C-diff once*, next time it would kill me off)
3 - I don't like being exposed to people ( they are so very polluting physically and mentally)
4 - Travelling alone I would be vulnerable. I was once taken ill in central France*. The experience of a foreign hospital wasn't pleasant.
5 - I have control over my home environment - a rented apartment would be hazardous for me. (Ocado couldn't deliver groceries)

Yesterday I spent time browsing the web for better/more economical electric heaters and have ordered a halogen one.

There may be a chance of having the gas heating back on for next winter if the anti-histamine drug I started using 2 days ago works. I hate pharmacutical products, and this one even has aspartamine in it .

It would be nice to have a 'normal life' again.
Only one person can make sure that happens
Old 05-05-2013, 14:40   #38
God Member

This is my 4th day on the new antihistamine - slight improvement in symptoms but I can't see me using this after the tree pollen ends in a few weeks time.

Apart from the aspartamine poison in it, I have other side affects - loss of appetite and drastic reduction in ability to sleep. I was awake until 4 am today and 5am the night before. I like my dreamtime. That's when I have the life I don't get when awake.

Old 05-05-2013, 17:17   #39
Resting in Peace

Quote:
This is my 4th day on the new antihistamine - slight improvement in symptoms but I can't see me using this after the tree pollen ends in a few weeks time.

Apart from the aspartamine poison in it, I have other side affects - loss of appetite and drastic reduction in ability to sleep. I was awake until 4 am today and 5am the night before. I like my dreamtime. That's when I have the life I don't get when awake.
How does the tree pollen affect you Margaret, nasal or lung function. As I've said before I have a slight allergic reaction to it, but not serious enough to use antihistamines, mind you I don't have many trees near my flat like you.
Old 05-05-2013, 19:40   #40
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
How does the tree pollen affect you Margaret, nasal or lung function. As I've said before I have a slight allergic reaction to it, but not serious enough to use antihistamines, mind you I don't have many trees near my flat like you.
I have sneezing spells every day.
My nose runs most of the time - post nasal drip gets into my lungs - ie coughing a lot - swollen glands under chin - and nose ache(not as bad as face ache I suppose)

Old 06-05-2013, 08:18   #41
Resting in Peace

Quote:
I have sneezing spells every day.
My nose runs most of the time - post nasal drip gets into my lungs - ie coughing a lot - swollen glands under chin - and nose ache(not as bad as face ache I suppose)
The main problem will be the mucus settling on your lungs when your asleep Margaret, my chest is always bad first thing until I can expel over night lung congestion, my breathing improves as the day goes on although the overall improvement is very slight these days, even walking just a few steps is arduous now
Old 06-05-2013, 08:24   #42

I had dust mite allergy when I was a kid & up until age 30. My nose ran each morning for 2 or 3 hours & I would soak 2 hankies. Any dusting or hoovering going on forced me from the house for hours. I got so fed up I pleaded with doctor for some effective treatment. I had the allergy tests followed by a series of large injections - one a month for 6 months in increasing strengths. I don't know if this kind of treatment is still offered (I suspect not) but it certainly cured me. I was totally free for many years. It's returned a little over the past few years but nowhere near as bad as it was.
davebtelford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 08:30   #43
I am Banned

Quote:

Living near the coast is probably the best solution for anyone with the kind of allergies you describe Margaret.
DtheP47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 13:41   #44
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DtheP47 View Post
Living near the coast is probably the best solution for anyone with the kind of allergies you describe Margaret.
Maybe so - but here I am near the only family I have (one son).

I have been on the lookout for a bungalow for ages, but I don't feel well enough to cope with a removal upheaval.

The halogen heater arrived and is faulty - jumped through hoops unpacking, assembling, repacking, mailing the supplier,installing my printer to my latest PC, downloading UPS label and return docs (what a palava !)

After seeing how flimsy halogen heaters are, I am glad of an excuse to return it - now ordered a Dimplex oil filled radiator.

Next month my fuel direct debit goes up to £173 , even though I sent them £200 off my debit, so drastic action to reduce costs was essential.

Old 09-05-2013, 15:39   #45
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Ye god's hypochondria r us?

What a depressing tale we all wish to tell each other, (he said whilst almost choking on a cheap can of ale).
Less is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..