Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-05-2013, 15:57   #46
God Member

Re: How much was your gas bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
Ye god's hypochondria r us?

What a depressing tale we all wish to tell each other, (he said whilst almost choking on a cheap can of ale).
I was healthy until age 65 ......so there is time for you yet.
I don't wish ill health old age on anybody, but some people deserve to be the exception.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 09-05-2013, 16:05   #47
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
What a depressing tale we all wish to tell each other, (he said whilst almost choking on a cheap can of ale).
So that's your tale of woe then Less? That you've got to drink cheap Ale instead of something reassuringly expensive.
Old 09-05-2013, 17:11   #48
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
Maybe so - but here I am near the only family I have (one son).

I have been on the lookout for a bungalow for ages, but I don't feel well enough to cope with a removal upheaval.

The halogen heater arrived and is faulty - jumped through hoops unpacking, assembling, repacking, mailing the supplier,installing my printer to my latest PC, downloading UPS label and return docs (what a palava !)

After seeing how flimsy halogen heaters are, I am glad of an excuse to return it - now ordered a Dimplex oil filled radiator.

Next month my fuel direct debit goes up to £173 , even though I sent them £200 off my debit, so drastic action to reduce costs was essential.
I can't see why you've been paying so much Margaret, we live very similar lifestyles heating wise, 24 hours per day and I keep my thermostat at 24c and from what you've said my combined bill is around £1100 per year around £800 cheaper than yours, okay I have both gas and electricity, which is not an option for you but it still seems a bit strange
jaysay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 17:11   #49
I am Banned

Quote:
Ye god's hypochondria r us?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinGermany View Post
So that's your tale of woe then Less? That you've got to drink cheap Ale instead of something reassuringly expensive.
gockle of geer DiG
DtheP47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 17:28   #50
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
I can't see why you've been paying so much Margaret, we live very similar lifestyles heating wise, 24 hours per day and I keep my thermostat at 24c and from what you've said my combined bill is around £1100 per year around £800 cheaper than yours, okay I have both gas and electricity, which is not an option for you but it still seems a bit strange
The winter before the last one, there were TWO layers of loft insulation above my flat. When the loft asbestos was removed that insulation (contaminated) was removed and only ONE layer was put back.

It may be that that insulation was shoddily fitted and there may be gaps around the edges. I am considering asking HH to go up there and look. Next week a HH fitter is due to visit to do a gas appliance check - really! - even though their fitter capped my meter last year, so I intend discussing it with him.

Another possibility is a faulty meter. At past addresses I have experienced meters which began to run slow and fast. They can start doing that for no apparent reason. That will involve paying a meter check fee if the meter is tested as OK, so I will explore the insulation potential problem first.

Old 09-05-2013, 17:42   #51
Resting in Peace

Quote:
The winter before the last one, there were TWO layers of loft insulation above my flat. When the loft asbestos was removed that insulation (contaminated) was removed and only ONE layer was put back.

It may be that that insulation was shoddily fitted and there may be gaps around the edges. I am considering asking HH to go up there and look. Next week a HH fitter is due to visit to do a gas appliance check - really! - even though their fitter capped my meter last year, so I intend discussing it with him.

Another possibility is a faulty meter. At past addresses I have experienced meters which began to run slow and fast. They can start doing that for no apparent reason. That will involve paying a meter check fee if the meter is tested as OK, so I will explore the insulation potential problem first.
That should be fun when the gas fitter arrives, "well it was there last night, its been stolen"
Old 09-05-2013, 18:59   #52
Senior Member+

Quote:
jaysay, you're using gas and electric, MargaretR is just using electric!

I just worked out if I heated our home to the same level as we do with gas and electric but using just electric it would cost me £4196 a year. That's almost 4 times what it costs now.
As for MargaretR looking for a more efficient electric heater- it can't be done. Even a traditional light bulb gives off 95% of the electricity in heat, only 5% in light. All electric heaters will have very similar efficiency.
Gordon Booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 19:16   #53
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Booth View Post
jaysay, you're using gas and electric, MargaretR is just using electric!

I just worked out if I heated our home to the same level as we do with gas and electric but using just electric it would cost me £4196 a year. That's almost 4 times what it costs now.
As for MargaretR looking for a more efficient electric heater- it can't be done. Even a traditional light bulb gives off 95% of the electricity in heat, only 5% in light. All electric heaters will have very similar efficiency.
I have read that oil filled, thermostat controlled is cheapest to run. As for light bulbs - all mine are LED - expensive to buy but cheaper to run than fluorescents

I have just calculated that total KWH used for last winter was 42% higher than the winter before. I know the weather was worse but was it really that much worse?

I am going to ask for my loft insulation to be looked at.

Old 10-05-2013, 08:08   #54
Resting in Peace

Quote:
I have read that oil filled, thermostat controlled is cheapest to run. As for light bulbs - all mine are LED - expensive to buy but cheaper to run than fluorescents

I have just calculated that total KWH used for last winter was 42% higher than the winter before. I know the weather was worse but was it really that much worse?

I am going to ask for my loft insulation to be looked at.
Loft insulation is something that doesn't bother me. living in a ground floor flat, but I was wondering just what difference it does make?
Old 10-05-2013, 08:16   #55
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Loft insulation is something that doesn't bother me. living in a ground floor flat, but I was wondering just what difference it does make?
We had ours done in the summer, tis made a fair difference this winter to our fuel bill.
Old 10-05-2013, 13:01   #56
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
For her the difference will be similar to when she had workmen removing the asbestos.
Complaints about workmen using her bog and leaving the seat up how dare they!
After cleaning service, being rubbish.
Then we will have her bemoaning the fact that she needs the loft insulation removed because like everything else, she is allergic to it!

Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 14:35   #57
God Member

Quote:
For her the difference will be similar to when she had workmen removing the asbestos.
Complaints about workmen using her bog and leaving the seat up how dare they!
After cleaning service, being rubbish.
Then we will have her bemoaning the fact that she needs the loft insulation removed because like everything else, she is allergic to it!

I can see you are having a rough time lately so I am sending this little prezzie.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 269396_409441052486058_763147575_n.jpg (58.0 KB, 10 views)
Less, jaysay and Stevie R like this.

Old 10-05-2013, 15:21   #58
God Member

Ps.....
Attached Images
File Type: gif 3373_200_125.gif (56.3 KB, 4 views)
Less likes this.

Old 11-05-2013, 12:55   #59
Junior Member+

Have you looked at oil free eco rads by Dimplex Margaret?

I have one that we used in our middle(jubilee) bedroom before we had a wall mounted rad fitted.
Clearviewsimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 14:29   #60
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clearviewsimon View Post
Have you looked at oil free eco rads by Dimplex Margaret?

I have one that we used in our middle(jubilee) bedroom before we had a wall mounted rad fitted.
I await delivery of a Dimplex oil filled. I have looked at those oil free ones. They have a timer and more variable controls - I don't need that refinement - it will be on 24/7 at a temp 0f 23C.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..