Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 17-06-2004, 18:14   #136
Resting in Peace

Re: How Patriotic?

I was looking at a big box of St Georges flags in Preston this morning
it said on the box ................MADE IN TIWAN
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 17-06-2004, 18:22   #137

lol, doesn't suprise me. The ones I have are produced in the good old UK.
Old 17-06-2004, 19:56   #138
Accy Red

Cricket Challenge Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baudelaire
No I'm not French, though I have spent some time there.

Supporting the England team is a good excuse for having a few beers, however I get a bit distrubed when people on this site start 'having a go' at the asian population every time the notion of patriotism rears its ugly head. I actually think that the vast majority of young asians will be behind the England team all the way. Do the millions of English living abroad suddenly start to support their host countries ? I think not.

Regarding the WW2 veterans, most of them would turn in their graves to think of the drunken bigotted antics of many of those who purport to honour them.
Lets get straight to the point, people like you make me sick, I am English I support England whatever the sport maybe, it is not an excuse for having a few beers it's because I want my country to be the best.

You say you actually think that the vast majority of young asians will be behind the England team all the way, well I say of course they should as they where probably born here. It's not the young ones that are the problem, aged 10 and below, it's the ones I saw wearing french shirts and the asian cars flying the french flag earlier this week.

The notion of patriotism is not ugly what is ugly are Politically Correct idiots like yourself who are more trouble to asians and English than as you say some drunken bigots.

"At a football club, there's a holy trinity - the players, the manager and the supporters. Directors don't come into it. They're only there to sign cheques." - Bill Shankly
Bagpuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2004, 08:16   #139

Were the asians wearing the french shirts and flying french flags told to take them off/down for fear of inciting violence - I DONT THINK SO.....hmmm

I know its ONLY sport but residents of this country who take such obvious delight in our defeats make me sick. If it makes you so happy then why are you here?

Supporting the England team is a good excuse for a beer? Yes, your right it is.....so? Sometimes I'll watch England sober.....
Old 18-06-2004, 09:05   #140
Senior Member+

My son is 12 and came home telling me of Asians in his school writing FRANCE on there arms and chanting FRANCE at the "white" lads........................

My son and these asian lads were both born in ENGLAND........ We have a huge problem in this country and it is NOT "white" people being racist.

SAD very SAD
simon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2004, 09:43   #141

It is a disappointing attitude isn't it? I really dont care who lives in this country as long as they respect it, and I never thought I'd say this, but if you (they) dont like it then please ****** off and don't come back. Maybe the next time Pakistan get beat off the West Indies I will drive down Blackburn Road throwing empty tins of Red Stripe all over the place.....
Old 18-06-2004, 09:54   #142
Resident Waffler

Simon, I agree how very sad it is and it isn't helped by some teachers' attitudes either.

My daughter was bullied by an Asian boy - she reported it to a teacher and subsequently so did I but was the boy reprimanded? I'm afraid not. It's almost as if they are afraid to do so for fear of being called racist but in my opinion this IS racism because if it had been a white kid intimidating an Asian then the white kid would have been punished

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2004, 10:24   #143
mez
God Member

yes i do agree with you on the racist asspect of all our lives, i thought my dad fought in ww2 to keep this country briyish with freedom of speech, but how can we when all that will happen is WE will be hauled before the courts as being racist, hopeless//
Old 18-06-2004, 10:24   #144
mez
God Member

should have said british//
Old 18-06-2004, 10:27   #145

Flying an England flag on your car can cost money. It creates aerodynamic drag which raises fuel consumption.

Fans have wasted 4.5 million gallons of fuel, according to BBC Top Gear magazine.

Yeah, but I wouldn't be seen dead in my Reliant Robin, without them.
Old 18-06-2004, 10:42   #146
mez
God Member

oo eck thought my £5quids worth didnt last long this week he he he
Old 25-06-2004, 14:58   #147

England is a nation if immigrants and always has been. We will all have to accept the fact and get on with your lives. Remember we select neither our country of birth nor our religion.

For somebody to get upset by a few 'asian?' children claiming to support France is rather amusing. In any case, should people not be free to support whichever team they wish ?
I'm sure that the Italian immigrants will be (were) supporting Italy. I'm also sure people of West Indian descent were supporting Jamaica in the '98 WC. Many of Irish descent support the Irish team.
Who claims that people are offended by the English/British flags ? This is utter rubbish and a myth purveyed by the gutter press. There will always be loonies on left and right. The papers love them as they provide them with much needed garbage to print.
Baudelaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2004, 15:04   #148
Resident Waffler

It's not only the 'gutter press' as you call it. What about shops being told to remove Christmas displays from their windows for fear of upsetting non-Christians? I'm a Christian but when I see displays relating to other religions it doesn't offend me. I love the Chinese New Year celebrations but I have no connection with China whatsoever.

My children attend schools with multi cultural and multi racial mix of pupils. They learn about other beliefs and I think that's a good thing.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2004, 15:13   #149
God Member

One World.......
KIPAX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2004, 15:18   #150
mez
God Member

i usually give the shop at the top of my street eid cards, they give me xmas cards, although i only go in perhaps twice a week///

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..