Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 16-04-2015, 18:12   #1
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

How To Encourage Fly Tipping

So, from the 1st of June we will all be charged £3.50 per bag for being responsible and taking our waste to the tip.
How much more will the clean up operation cost per bag when folk just dump it around the corner when no-one is looking cost?
Surely it's better to offer a responsible service that encourages people to dispose of their waste responsibly?
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 16-04-2015, 18:37   #2
Senior Member+

Re: How To Encourage Fly Tipping

That's unbelievable! Well, no it's not, just crazy.
£3.50 for one bag? How much a ton is that?
They may as well sack the men at the tip- they'll have nothing to do.
There was talk of charging £46/year for the garden rubbish bin here. There was such a reaction they dropped it but only come every 3 weeks.
Result- if the garden bin gets full you stick it in the other bins. No problem.
Gordon Booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2015, 18:53   #3

Gordon, according to the Telegraph that is £3.50 per 60cm by 90cm bag. I'm used to old money so cm doesn't mean much but even I know that ain't a big bag!
Old 16-04-2015, 19:01   #4
Beacon of light

This is a really bad idea.....and yes it will encourage people to dump their rubbish where ever they think they might not be caught on camera.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2015, 19:07   #5
Senior Member+

It isn't general waste, it's DIY and garden rubbish and if you get a permit it's free. Still wrong though, should be free for none commercial rubbish.
gpick24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2015, 19:15   #6
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
Gordon, according to the Telegraph that is £3.50 per 60cm by 90cm bag. I'm used to old money so cm doesn't mean much but even I know that ain't a big bag!
2ft by 3ft? That's not much bigger than a swing bin bag, certainly much smaller than the old dustbin bag. Still, if you fill it with bricks or body parts I suppose it would be quite heavy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpick24 View Post
It isn't general waste, it's DIY and garden rubbish and if you get a permit it's free. Still wrong though, should be free for none commercial rubbish.
A permit?? For heavens sake, you live there, you pay them council tax. Is there an entrance fee as well to get into the tip?
No? There soon will be.
Old 16-04-2015, 19:22   #7
Senior Member+

Permits are free but inconvenient as you've to tell them when you apply exactly what your taking, then it takes a week to come through the post.
Old 16-04-2015, 19:34   #8
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpick24 View Post
Permits are free but inconvenient as you've to tell them when you apply exactly what your taking, then it takes a week to come through the post.
I'm not sure that would be wise- they might have a rule about body parts.
And after a weeks wait- the smell!
Old 16-04-2015, 19:43   #9
Senior Member+

You could just open a kebab shop and make a bit of brass rather than paying to get rid of it.
Old 16-04-2015, 19:52   #10
Beacon of light

Yuk...so glad I do not eat kebabs...... that thought will stay with me(body parts kebab)
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2015, 19:56   #11

A permit just so you can be responsible with the waste you need to get rid of? I've always willingly taken my extra waste to the tip, maybe I should use the alternative many of my neighbours already use? After all my bit of fly tipping will hardly make a difference will it?
Old 16-04-2015, 22:37   #12
God Member

whos brought this charge in the council or SITA ?

SITA run all the tips around here and they are in charge of them they just rent the land i think

they make a lot of money from our rubbish as it is

they sell all the metal

they sell all the bikes

they sell all the plastic which we kindly put into the plastics skip

they sell all the broken tv's for repair or spare parts - most of which end up in africa where older tvs ar ein demand and modern ones are cheap to repair

they sell all the electrical goods such as dvd players , stereos, irons, etc

they sell all the washing machines for spare parts or repairs

they sell all the cans

they sell all the batteries from AA to car batteries

basically everything that goes through those gates gets sold to some company or other

they also have a container in each yard that they put all the good stuff into and that container is filled for a bloke who pays them around £300 per month to take what he wants from it to sell to whoever he wants.One guy has the lease to about 11 of these containers around here at various SITA sites

and now they want to charge us for taking stuff to them so they can sell it ?

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

Last edited by accyman; 16-04-2015 at 22:42.
accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2015, 22:45   #13
God Member

you know somat they should be paying us per kilo for our trash

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

Old 17-04-2015, 04:05   #14
Senior Member+

Wow, our rubbish costs us approx $1,000 per month, 500 pounds, that is for 143 households. They pick it up every week and also do a separate pick up each week for recycle stuff. Works out to less than 1 pound per week per household. I guess we shouldn't complain.
ossy kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2015, 04:41   #15
God Member

when the council ran the tips everything was mostly just dumped. SITA came along and recycled everything/sold and make millions.SITA even have tips in Dubai.They are a multinational company making billions out of trash

if the council had kept the tips and done this themselves they could be making money and improving services etc instead of making private companies rich

when SITA's contract expires i hope someone at county council looks into how much money is made from all the tips in lancashire because i would much rather the money be put back into the area

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..