Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-08-2009, 10:59   #61
I am Banned

Re: Howarth Art gallery

Seeing how this thread has attracted do much attention, perhaps Gayle could use this platform to advertise whats on at the Haworth.
I know that Jennie the curator tries her best to get publicity for events, but without a means of presenting it to the public, since the demise of the Accy Observer, whats left, printing leaflets and flyers, ? who pays for those.

Retlaw
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 05-08-2009, 11:07   #62
God Member

Would be worthwhile promoting in local schools one would think. As a lot of teachers travel from out of town these days they are could be unaware of its existance.
Old 05-08-2009, 11:18   #63
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BERNADETTE View Post
Would be worthwhile promoting in local schools one would think. As a lot of teachers travel from out of town these days they are could be unaware of its existance.
The local schools are aware of it, I posted earlier that they run workshops for schools.

Retlaw.
Old 08-08-2009, 15:53   #64
Give, give, give member

After a little reccy this weekend, taking into account what's currently on display, and what's been exhibited in the past, I reckon the commercial value of the paintings and drawings alone at the Haworth is worth well over £5 million.

That doesn't take into account the priceless Tiffany glass, although even that will have a massive commercial price tag.

This collection, along with the house and grounds, was bequeathed to the townsfolk of Accrington.

Hyndburn Borough Council are the custodians of the collection, and it certainly is the jewel in the area's crown.

Ownership must not be sold on to Preston based Lancashire County Council, and hopefully there'll be enough covenants concerned with the trust's charitable status, and associated red tape, to prevent the collection falling out of local control.

When whichever nincompoop that came up with this idea, is buried six feet under the sod, there's no guarantee that in the future the collection won't leave Accrington forever, and end up in some dusty corner of the Harris Museum in Preston, with the excuse that it's more cost effective.

As well as Accrington Stanley, the Nori brick, and textiles, Accrington's unique association with world famous Tiffany glass must be preserved by keeping control of it within the borough itself.

Call me cynical old git, but I think it's highly suspicious that the leader of the borough council has recently got his finger in another pie as well, that pie being L.C.C.

H.B.C. are the custodians of this collection, and I, and I presume many others, will fight tooth and nail to keep control of it here in Hyndburn.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 15:57   #65
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
After a little reccy this weekend, taking into account what's currently on display, and what's been exhibited in the past, I reckon the commercial value of the paintings and drawings alone at the Haworth is worth well over £5 million.

That doesn't take into account the priceless Tiffany glass, although even that will have a massive commercial price tag.

This collection, along with the house and grounds, was bequeathed to the townsfolk of Accrington.

Hyndburn Borough Council are the custodians of the collection, and it certainly is the jewel in the area's crown.

Ownership must not be sold on to Preston based Lancashire County Council, and hopefully there'll be enough covenants concerned with the trust's charitable status, and associated red tape, to prevent the collection falling out of local control.

When whichever nincompoop that came up with this idea, is buried six feet under the sod, there's no guarantee that in the future the collection won't leave Accrington forever, and end up in some dusty corner of the Harris Museum in Preston, with the excuse that it's more cost effective.

As well as Accrington Stanley, the Nori brick, and textiles, Accrington's unique association with world famous Tiffany glass must be preserved by keeping control of it within the borough itself.

Call me cynical old git, but I think it's highly suspicious that the leader of the borough council has recently got his finger in another pie as well, that pie being L.C.C.

H.B.C. are the custodians of this collection, and I, and I presume many others, will fight tooth and nail to keep control of it here in Hyndburn.
i aint calling ya cynical more sensible fer making that connection with the pie, haworth must n should remain in hyndburn,
Old 03-03-2010, 11:55   #66
God Member

Angry Re: Howarth Art gallery

Good Grief, you turn your back for five minutes and the next thing you know they are selling off the family silver!

I am more than aware that the clowns who inhabit HBC would be hard pressed to run a bath if their lives depended on it and so it comes as little surprise to hear that between them they have managed to run down Haworth Art Gallery to the point where they can no longer afford to do the repairs. It was ever thus. In my own time of working at the gallery under the sainted Norman Potter, I recall that he had the devil of a job persuading the council to fork out for even the most basic of repairs.

So much is bad enough. But the very idea that the Idiot-in-Chief and his sychophants are contemplating selling it off to LCC (another organisation that does not understand the meaning of the word "maintenance", you should have seen the state they left Dyke Nook in when they had finished with it - ask Atarah!) is beyond belief. Of course Accy Webber's are dead right to suspect that there is some sort of underhanded dealing in all this.

And there was the lovely Gayle, only yesterday, wittering on about how HBC are going to run Ossy Civic Theatre as a business... for profit...Don't make me laugh Gayle, HBC could not find their own backsides, even if they used both hands! AS A BUSINESS??? MAKE A PROFIT????? What is Britcliffe paying you to shovel his propaganda for him??? This would be hilarious if it weren't so tragically, desperately, S A D!

The Gallery and its contents were left to the people of Accrington. There is a big bronze plaque in the hallway which says just that. It belongs to the people, not HBC! And I am certain that the people, if consulted, would never agree to its sale, whether to LCC or anyone else for that matter.

I would like to hear what our lovely Graham Jones's position is on this matter. and then I want the equally lovely Gayle to tell us that it is all just an unsubtantiated rumour with absolutely no substance to it whatsoever.

Then I think that Gayle might enthrall us all with a little transparency and fully explain her links to HBC and the odious Britcliffe.

And you needn't think that I will let this drop, because I won't until I get an answer!!!!!

Last edited by Neil; 03-03-2010 at 14:22. Reason: *'s
Acrylic-bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 12:02   #67
God Member

Re: Question for Graham Jones

I have a question for Graham. What is going on with Haworth Art Gallery Graham? What is your position on the council selling off assets that belong to the people of the borough??
Old 03-03-2010, 12:23   #68
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acrylic-bob View Post
I have a question for Graham. What is going on with Haworth Art Gallery Graham? What is your position on the council selling off assets that belong to the people of the borough??
It depends. The Art Gallery is public facility so straightforward no there. Profitable industrial estates or businesses, no. Pieces of land underused maybe. Derelict buildings probably. If it is purely a financial equation then it is what is best financially for Hyndburn.

Last edited by Neil; 03-03-2010 at 17:46. Reason: moved post from another thread
g jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 12:31   #69
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by g jones View Post
Two years ago a man was sectioned for hassling Councillors at home continually and sensually.
I'd just like to point out that although I've publicly thanked one of my counciilors, Cllr. Britcliffe, for help given, I'm not the Hyndburn sensual hassler.

Old 03-03-2010, 12:45   #70
Give, give, give member

Quote:
It depends. The Art Gallery is public facility so straightforward no there.
Sorry, I'm a bit confused.

Could you clarify that you think the Haworth Art Gallery should remain under the direct controil of H.C.C., and not L.C.C?

I presume the 'depends' refers to the other assests you mentioned?

Old 03-03-2010, 13:44   #71
God Member

Thanks for the answer Graham, but can you clarify the position regarding the rumoured sale of Haworth Art Gallery to LCC?
Old 03-03-2010, 16:46   #72
God Member

Just out of interest, does anyone know if the building is on any local, county or regioal database as being a potential site for film (TV/Movie) making?

bloody hell...there are 560 viewing this post!

Last edited by Tealeaf; 03-03-2010 at 16:50.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 17:39   #73
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Quote:
It depends. The Art Gallery is public facility so straightforward no there.
Sorry, I'm a bit confused.

Could you clarify that you think the Haworth Art Gallery should remain under the direct controil of H.C.C., and not L.C.C?

I presume the 'depends' refers to the other assests you mentioned?
The Haworth was BEQUEATHED to the people of Accrington, NOT to some idiot council leader who thinks he is gods gift to Hyndburn.
IT WAS FOR THE PEOPLE OF ACCRINGTON, britcliffe an his gang are there to look after it and maintain it for Accrington, NOT to view it as an asset for political gain or profit.

Retlaw

Last edited by Neil; 03-03-2010 at 17:48. Reason: fixed quote
Old 03-03-2010, 18:14   #74
I am Banned

Further to the issue of the Haworth.
I've attached two pictures and underlined two sentences.

Retlaw.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Hawortha..JPG (421.4 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg Haworth-3..JPG (418.1 KB, 9 views)
Old 03-03-2010, 19:30   #75
God Member

I agree fully with what you are saying, Walter - the likes of Britcliffe and his ilk have no right whatsoever to flog off the family silver. The underlying question that I have is "How do we fully utilise this asset to the town?". Lets face it - over recent years there has been little publicity given to this jewel and little investment made in order to develope it's full potential. That is why I asked the question about a database, made available to filmmakers.

Many local authorities do now have a dedicated film unit in order to attract, in the first instance, studios wishing to do on location shooting. It's amazing what the right camera angle can seem to portray.Howarth would, for instance make an excellent 'Baskerville Hall' - don't laugh - although Conan Doyle set the book in the west country, the last film version was shot in Yorkshire. Even better - and what more fitting - should the building double as 'Withering Heights'? The name is there - Howarth - and it would pee those Tyke b**tards off something rotten.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..