Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

View Poll Results: In a free referendum on E.U. membership -
Yes, I vote we remain E.U. members. 4 10.81%
No, I vote we withdraw from being E.U. members. 33 89.19%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 18-10-2011, 20:20   #136
Give, give, give member

Re: How'd you vote in an E.U. referendum?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCB View Post
I would prefer to see our country organised on the lines of Norway or Switzerland .

If anyone can prove to me that this can be done I would go for it .
No need to prove anything.

It is being done.

Get a flight.

See for yourself.

Two economically strong countries.

Two economically strong non E.U. countries, happily existing right now.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 18-10-2011, 20:24   #137
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCB View Post
I would prefer to see our country organised on the lines of Norway or Switzerland .

If anyone can prove to me that this can be done I would go for it .

I am not pro the EU , despite what I have said .
It is just that at the moment I do not see any viable alternatives . I believe that just to withdraw carries the danger of destroying the livelihoods of millions in this country . I am not prepared to see that .

I voted to leave the EEC in 1975 , but over the many years since then our economy has become so integrated with the economies of other EU countries that any hasty and poorly negotiated withdrawal would cause havoc .

I am just advising caution against precipitate action that could lead us into worse trouble than we are already in .

It's easy come up with anti-EU slogans , but that's not solving anything .
We don't seem to be able to have an informed , protracted discussion about the EU issue . It's what is needed to enable us to form views based on facts and genuine possibilities . That should not be to much to ask for .
I do understand what you're saying.

But soon it will be too late ever to disentangle ourselves from the United States of Europe, and remain an independent nation.

It's now, or never, and since it's only going to get worse for Britain, now's the time.

Old 18-10-2011, 20:29   #138
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
We don't have the opportunity for these discussions because our elected representatives do not wish us to have discussions.....they think we aren't savvy enough to have discussions....they don't want us queering their pitch on the EU gravy train, when it comes time for them to leave politics in this country.

They don't want the extra brain work that is required to deliver a viable alternative...they want to scare us into thinking that the EU is all there is. That there is no other way.
I agree.

Forget the pros and cons for now.

First we have to force politicans to understand that because we never voted if we wanted E.U. membership, we ask for the right to have a say in our destiny, and demand a
referendum!

Old 18-10-2011, 20:36   #139
God Member

Hang on, suddenly you are all in love with the very bankers you are blameing for the world s woes 2 mins ago? You cant have it both ways, either they are evil blood sucking monsters to be shot on sight out they are a thriving lifeblood of the uk economy....

Re the trade agreements, quite simply end go to the relevant countries and say you still want it as it's clearly as good for you as it is for us, if not we'll go elsewhere, russia, china and many others are more than willing to step into the breach.... Please let me know if there is some product that we cant get outside of europe should we need to.

My clear understanding is that back in the 70's the eec was as far abroad as we wanted to look, today the world is a far smaller place.

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2011, 20:39   #140
Give, give, give member

Since there's been no evidence of how the U.K. benefits from E.U. membership from the yes voters...so far.

I decided to search for some myself.

All it brings up, when you search for 'U.K. benefits from the E.U.', are stories like this.

EU legal threat to UK benefits changes 'could result in £2bn bill' | Politics | guardian.co.uk

European Union Membership - Annual Cost £65 billion. EU is wasteful and corrupt

BBC News - More Europe migrants to gain access to full UK benefits

It's not good.

Old 18-10-2011, 20:43   #141
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by entwisi View Post
Hang on, suddenly you are all in love with the very bankers you are blameing for the world s woes 2 mins ago? You cant have it both ways, either they are evil blood sucking monsters to be shot on sight out they are a thriving lifeblood of the uk economy....

Re the trade agreements, quite simply end go to the relevant countries and say you still want it as it's clearly as good for you as it is for us, if not we'll go elsewhere, russia, china and many others are more than willing to step into the breach.... Please let me know if there is some product that we cant get outside of europe should we need to.

My clear understanding is that back in the 70's the eec was as far abroad as we wanted to look, today the world is a far smaller place.
Who are you saying 'hang on' to?

Have I missed something?

Has someone attacked Britain's financial industry in another thread?

Please clarify what you mean.

Old 18-10-2011, 20:49   #142
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Calm down.

Only an idiot would disagree that the financial industry, based in the City, is an important part of the country's economy, at the moment.

Much to the distaste of Brussels and Berlin.

Who seek to rectify this.

There are good, bad, and stupid financial companies.

Just as there are good, bad, and stupid people.

Old 18-10-2011, 20:53   #143
Give, give, give member

Quote:

No one's blaming you personally for the world economic crisis, just because you work for a bank.

That'd be like blaming the ship's cat for the sinking of the Titanic.

Old 18-10-2011, 21:18   #144
Beacon of light

Quote:

No, I certainly wasn't saying what you think I was saying.

I am neither in love with the bankers or the banking industry,neither do I think they should be shot on sight. I don't quite know where you got that impression.

However, there is a banking industry in this country that would be hampered by taxes that the EU is wanting to bring in....this would lead to the industry looking for a more, shall we say 'hospitable' base outside the UK.........wouldn't this take jobs out of the country?
Doesn't the banking industry rely on services....so they would lose revenue and also perhaps cut down on staff.

A loss of any industry has a knock on effect, but I am sure that you already know this.
I hope this clarifies my views on the subject. I cannot speak for anyone else.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2011, 21:34   #145
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post

However, there is a banking industry in this country that would be hampered by taxes that the EU is wanting to bring in....this would lead to the industry looking for a more, shall we say 'hospitable' base outside the UK.........wouldn't this take jobs out of the country?
Doesn't the banking industry rely on services....so they would lose revenue and also perhaps cut down on staff.
The EU transaction tax would apply to all financial transactions in Europe equally. There is a lobby for a unilateral Tobin or Robin Hood Tax here in the UK.

If we were to withdraw from the EU then our position as financial capital of Europe would be in jeapordy.

Not an argument about banks just lost jobs and revenue to the exchequer. Europe as it is now is very unsatisfactory and there needs to be change.
g jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2011, 21:42   #146
Senior Member+

My thoughts on the eu are tainted by some of its employees , i mean come on, how can any organisation that employs Neil kinnock ( and i include the labour party in the past) be taken seriously.For example his thoughts on the house of lords are long known to be derogatory but now after being offered a peerage it appears he has had a change of heart, somewhat hypocritical me thinks.And he is an eu commissioner, pigs at the trough again springs to mind with half of his family working for the eu as well.
Old 18-10-2011, 21:50   #147
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkinman221 View Post
For example his thoughts on the house of lords are long known to be derogatory but now after being offered a peerage it appears he has had a change of heart
Just like that odious, corpulent hypocrite, Prescott. The working class can kiss my ass, I'm in the House of Lords at last.
Old 18-10-2011, 21:51   #148
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by g jones View Post
The EU transaction tax would apply to all financial transactions in Europe equally.
Yes, but who in the E.U. will be most affected by this tax?

The City of London, and therefore the U.K., that's who.

Old 18-10-2011, 21:53   #149
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
Just like that odious, corpulent hypocrite, Prescott. The working class can kiss my ass, I'm in the House of Lords at last.
Principles is just the shop where Pauline buys her gold plated taps, and lavatory pelmets from.

Old 18-10-2011, 21:58   #150
Senior Member+

Lavatory pelmets

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..