Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

View Poll Results: In a free referendum on E.U. membership -
Yes, I vote we remain E.U. members. 4 10.81%
No, I vote we withdraw from being E.U. members. 33 89.19%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-10-2011, 08:59   #76
Give, give, give member

Re: How'd you vote in an E.U. referendum?

It genuinely frightens and sickens me, that I might be forced to vote for a single issue party, come the next election, but I might have no other choice.

I will never again vote for a politican, or political party, who don't give a cast iron guarantee that they'll support a referendum on E.U. membership, and it actually happening.

I feel this is so important an issue for the future of our once great country, on so many different levels.

I hope our mainstream political parties begin to realise just how strongly many people feel about this.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 11-10-2011, 12:09   #77
Beacon of light

G....I'm sorry to disillusion you but you would still be snookered.
When canvassing, the parties will promise absolutely anything to get your vote........but how can you guarantee that they will deliver on their promise?
Political parties, have in the past said they would hold a referendum. I seem to recall that David Cameron himself did exactly that......he said that if there was a Conservative government in number 10, he would seek a referendum on the EU....maybe he salves his conscience by telling himself 'Well, it is a COALITION government, so strictly speaking, I am not breaking any promise'.

Say this phrase after me....(you may need to repeat it a couple of thousand times before it finally engraves itself on yout consciousness)
Political parties cannot be believed....and worse still, they cannot be trusted!

They consider themsleves the 'ruling class' and once in power they disregard the electorate as of little importance, of little value.....yet we pay their wages and handsome they are too.
Most politicians are so far removed from the real world, they can have no concept of what concerns the electorate really has.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 16:12   #78
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
G....I'm sorry to disillusion you but you would still be snookered.
When canvassing, the parties will promise absolutely anything to get your vote........but how can you guarantee that they will deliver on their promise?
Political parties, have in the past said they would hold a referendum. I seem to recall that David Cameron himself did exactly that......he said that if there was a Conservative government in number 10, he would seek a referendum on the EU....maybe he salves his conscience by telling himself 'Well, it is a COALITION government, so strictly speaking, I am not breaking any promise'.

Say this phrase after me....(you may need to repeat it a couple of thousand times before it finally engraves itself on yout consciousness)
Political parties cannot be believed....and worse still, they cannot be trusted!

They consider themsleves the 'ruling class' and once in power they disregard the electorate as of little importance, of little value.....yet we pay their wages and handsome they are too.
Most politicians are so far removed from the real world, they can have no concept of what concerns the electorate really has.
I'm an eternal optimist, and live in (vain) hope.

If mainstream political parties continually refuse to acknowledge the real worries of ordinary people, we'll see support grow for extremist groups, sadly.

The ball's in their court.

Old 11-10-2011, 16:42   #79
Beacon of light

I used to be an optimist......now I am a realist. I suppose it might have something to do with the many broken political promises.........they promise the earth and deliver........s........slutch!
I'm going to have to see someone about this stammer!
Old 11-10-2011, 16:56   #80
Give, give, give member

Quote:
I used to be an optimist......now I am a realist. I suppose it might have something to do with the many broken political promises.........they promise the earth and deliver........s........slutch!
I'm going to have to see someone about this stammer!
I'm also a realist.

I really am not voting for any party/politican that doesn't give a 100% pledge that there'll be a fair yes/no referendum on E.U. membership.

This will continue until it happens.

If it doesn't, then I really won't vote for any mainstream political party ever again, and do everything in my limited power to undermine, and damage their campaigns.

Old 11-10-2011, 17:06   #81
Beacon of light

All power to you G.

The fact that all the political parties hold us ( our views and wishes) in contempt, is what made me spoil my ballot paper at the last general election.
My conscience would not let me vote for someone who does not have the slightest intention of carrying out their core promises to the electorate.
Old 11-10-2011, 17:13   #82
Give, give, give member

Quote:
All power to you G.

The fact that all the political parties hold us ( our views and wishes) in contempt, is what made me spoil my ballot paper at the last general election.
My conscience would not let me vote for someone who does not have the slightest intention of carrying out their core promises to the electorate.
That contempt works both ways.

With most people now holding politicans in the same esteem right down there with lawyers, estate agents, and traffic wardens.

Old 11-10-2011, 17:42   #83
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
That contempt works both ways.

With most people now holding politicans in the same esteem right down there with lawyers, estate agents, and traffic wardens.
And thats probably why voting numbers are at their lowest ever
Old 11-10-2011, 17:51   #84
Full Member+

Quote:
It genuinely frightens and sickens me, that I might be forced to vote for a single issue party, come the next election, but I might have no other choice.

I will never again vote for a politican, or political party, who don't give a cast iron guarantee that they'll support a referendum on E.U. membership, and it actually happening.

I feel this is so important an issue for the future of our once great country, on so many different levels.

I hope our mainstream political parties begin to realise just how strongly many people feel about this.
Couldn't have put it better.
Stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 20:28   #85
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
And thats probably why voting numbers are at their lowest ever
If voting changed anything John, they would stop us from doing it.....they (the ruling classes)just like to let us think we have some influence.
I just wish that at some election or other no-one would vote....I wonder if it would make them sit up and take notice.........I somehow doubt it!
Old 12-10-2011, 07:27   #86
Give, give, give member

Quote:
There is growing cross-party support for the people to be allowed their say in a referendum.
'The tipping point for Hesketh came two years ago when he was ‘appalled’ by the Government reneging on its promise to hold a referendum on the controversial Lisbon Treaty (which transferred huge powers to Brussels, created the post of EU president and cancelled more than 50 British vetoes over European policy).'

'Hesketh says: ‘Cameron could still easily have justified holding a referendum. I believed until we reneged on the commitment to the referendum that Cameron would have a good hand to play, and could have told the rest of Europe we had to sit down and talk about the EU’s future.’
Lord Hesketh explains why he's turned his back on the Tories | Mail Online

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/news...er-Europe.html

Old 12-10-2011, 07:55   #87
Beacon of light

I read that too....and think that Lord Hesketh made some very relevant points in that article
Old 12-10-2011, 08:52   #88
Resting in Peace

Quote:
If voting changed anything John, they would stop us from doing it.....they (the ruling classes)just like to let us think we have some influence.
I just wish that at some election or other no-one would vote....I wonder if it would make them sit up and take notice.........I somehow doubt it!
The thing is Margaret, people are voting with their feet and aren't bothering any more, there as always been that statement that if you don't vote then you don't have any right to criticise, but if you do vote these days what difference does it make, politics has just become a slanging match, not what you can do for the electorate but how made points can be scored against the other party, none more that here in Hyndburn were politics just became a peeing match
Old 12-10-2011, 08:57   #89
Resting in Peace

Quote:
'The tipping point for Hesketh came two years ago when he was ‘appalled’ by the Government reneging on its promise to hold a referendum on the controversial Lisbon Treaty (which transferred huge powers to Brussels, created the post of EU president and cancelled more than 50 British vetoes over European policy).'
'Hesketh says: ‘Cameron could still easily have justified holding a referendum. I believed until we reneged on the commitment to the referendum that Cameron would have a good hand to play, and could have told the rest of Europe we had to sit down and talk about the EU’s future.’
Lord Hesketh explains why he's turned his back on the Tories | Mail Online

Lord Hesketh: former Tory party treasurer defects to Ukip 'over Europe' - Telegraph
I could never see the point of a referendum being called by Cameron when he became PM because Brown ratified the Lisbon Treat, you can't unsign a piece of legislation, but he certainly could hold a yes or no referendum on continued membership of the EU, which unfortunately won't happen
Old 12-10-2011, 09:08   #90
Beacon of light

Weren't we promised a say on the issues before the Lisbon treaty was ratified?

Couldn't it be said that the ratification of this treaty was undemocratic because the electorate hadn't been consulted on the issues since 1975?

I thought that politicians were ultimately responsible for the legislation of this country.

It seems that we are not the only ones who are getting very disillusioned with the situation in the EU....it appears that the german population are hacked off with it too.

Eurozone debt crisis: Euro bailout attempt is utterly dishonest | Mail Online

This is the nonsenscial way the EU is trying to solve its' problems.........scary or what?

Last edited by Margaret Pilkington; 12-10-2011 at 09:10.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..