Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

View Poll Results: In a free referendum on E.U. membership -
Yes, I vote we remain E.U. members. 4 10.81%
No, I vote we withdraw from being E.U. members. 33 89.19%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 17-10-2011, 07:58   #106
Give, give, give member

Re: How'd you vote in an E.U. referendum?

Bad news.

UK economy brought to grinding halt by euro crisis - Telegraph

Good news. In that it at least gives hope this madness could end, if people are allowed a say in their destiny.

MPs could vote on EU referendum within weeks - Telegraph

'If' it happens, it'll be interesting to see if our elected representative uses their vote to reflect the overwhelming support there is for a referendum locally.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 17-10-2011, 08:10   #107
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Bad news.

UK economy brought to grinding halt by euro crisis - Telegraph

Good news. In that it at least gives hope this madness could end, if people are allowed a say in their destiny.

MPs could vote on EU referendum within weeks - Telegraph

'If' it happens, it'll be interesting to see if our elected representative uses their vote to reflect the overwhelming support there is for a referendum locally.
Don't hold your breath Rindi
Old 17-10-2011, 08:17   #108
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Don't hold your breath Rindi
No way.

But until people are allowed their say a referendum on E.U. membership, I shall continue saying this is very wrong, until I draw my last breath.

Old 17-10-2011, 21:13   #109
Give, give, give member

An interesting artice about E.U. membership, and possible alternatives, 'if' we are allowed a referendum on the issue.

EU referendum: UK should be with Europe, but not of it | Mail Online

Old 17-10-2011, 21:20   #110
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

aint gonna happen, imho, mores the pity.
Old 17-10-2011, 21:53   #111
Super Moderator

An interesting idea, but sadly it won't come to pass. Our politicians are far more concerned with their own well-being than they are with the electorate's. The more powers that are handed over to Brussels, the less work they have to do for their £60,000+ a year. And of course there's always the chance at the end of a domestic political career of a nice, comfy berth on the Brussels gravy train. Just look at that utterly useless toerag Kinnock and his missus.
Old 18-10-2011, 09:16   #112
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
An interesting idea, but sadly it won't come to pass. Our politicians are far more concerned with their own well-being than they are with the electorate's. The more powers that are handed over to Brussels, the less work they have to do for their £60,000+ a year. And of course there's always the chance at the end of a domestic political career of a nice, comfy berth on the Brussels gravy train. Just look at that utterly useless toerag Kinnock and his missus.
Not forgetting the kids
Old 18-10-2011, 09:50   #113
JCB

Quote:
An interesting artice about E.U. membership, and possible alternatives, 'if' we are allowed a referendum on the issue.

EU referendum: UK should be with Europe, but not of it | Mail Online
In the 1975 referendum I voted for the UK to withdraw from the EEC .
We had been a member for just over a year and the effects of withdrawal would have been negligible .

Now many years later we are in a very different EU , but over those years our governments have accepted the developments that have taken place drawing us closer , politically and economically , to the countries of the EU.

I am not interested with "possible alternatives" to EU membership .
I want to see some concrete , feasible alternatives which we could be sure of being implemented if we withdrew . Until I am convinced of such alternatives my vote in any future referendum , which I don't think we will get anyway , would this time be to stay in the EU .

It's a case of better the devil you know . I am not prepared to see the future of my country put in jeopardy because of some knee-jerk reaction I may have to some of the stupidity that at times emanates from the bureaucrats of the EU .

And let's be clear . Since the Council of Europe with 47 member states was formed in 1949 we have been members . The best known bodies of the Council of Europe are the European Court of Human Rights which enforces the European Convention on Human Rights . These are entirely separate from the EU , and if we have any gripes about the former bodies , we have to know that they are not attributable to the EU .

So if viable alternatives , and that means they would have to be practicable and workable , are put forward I would be prepared to judge them . Until they are I see no other option other than staying with the present imperfect set up that we have now .
JCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2011, 09:57   #114
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCB View Post
In the 1975 referendum I voted for the UK to withdraw from the EEC .
We had been a member for just over a year and the effects of withdrawal would have been negligible .

Now many years later we are in a very different EU , but over those years our governments have accepted the developments that have taken place drawing us closer , politically and economically , to the countries of the EU.

I am not interested with "possible alternatives" to EU membership .
I want to see some concrete , feasible alternatives which we could be sure of being implemented if we withdrew . Until I am convinced of such alternatives my vote in any future referendum , which I don't think we will get anyway , would this time be to stay in the EU .

It's a case of better the devil you know . I am not prepared to see the future of my country put in jeopardy because of some knee-jerk reaction I may have to some of the stupidity that at times emanates from the bureaucrats of the EU .

And let's be clear . Since the Council of Europe with 47 member states was formed in 1949 we have been members . The best known bodies of the Council of Europe are the European Court of Human Rights which enforces the European Convention on Human Rights . These are entirely separate from the EU , and if we have any gripes about the former bodies , we have to know that they are not attributable to the EU .

So if viable alternatives , and that means they would have to be practicable and workable , are put forward I would be prepared to judge them . Until they are I see no other option other than staying with the present imperfect set up that we have now .
That's a very balanced argument JCB
Old 18-10-2011, 10:05   #115
Give, give, give member

A viable alternative is to return to how exactly how we managed before 1973, prior to joining the then Common Market, an economic trade alliance.

We were a major economic nation for centuries, with no binding ties.

Switzerland and Noway still trade with Europe, have strong economies, and are not members of the United States of Europe.

Soon, when countries like Turkey become E.U. members, it will be too late for this country to have our own independent national government ever again.

Old 18-10-2011, 10:11   #116
Resting in Peace

Quote:
A viable alternative is to return to how exactly how we managed before 1973, prior to joining the then Common Market, an economic trade alliance.

We were a major economic nation for centuries, with no binding ties.

Switzerland and Noway still trade with Europe, have strong economies, and are not members of the United States of Europe.

Soon, when countries like Turkey become E.U. members, it will be too late for this country to have our own independent national government ever again.
The problem lies, untying all the red tape accumulated over the last 36 years Rindi, don't think its quite as simple as just waking up one morning and saying we're free we're on our own again
Old 18-10-2011, 10:13   #117
Give, give, give member

Besides, before deciding the pros and cons of E.U. membership, first we must fight to be allowed our say in a referendum.

Because it's a fact not one Briton has ever had the right to so far, and voted that they wanted the U.K. to be a member of the E.U.

Old 18-10-2011, 10:18   #118
Give, give, give member

Quote:
The problem lies, untying all the red tape accumulated over the last 36 years Rindi, don't think its quite as simple as just waking up one morning and saying we're free we're on our own again
No it won't be simple.

That doesn't mean, if the majority of people voted to leave, it shouldn't happen.

If we remain members we will become more, and more entangled.

As Wynonie pointed out, let the M.P.'s we elect, earn their generous salaries, and govern the country, once again.

Old 18-10-2011, 10:19   #119
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Besides, before deciding the pros and cons of E.U. membership, first we must fight to be allowed our say in a referendum.

Because it's a fact not one Briton has ever had the right to so far, and voted that they wanted the U.K. to be a member of the E.U.
That may prove harder that actually leaving the E. U.
Old 18-10-2011, 10:45   #120
Beacon of light

Quote:

I don't think anyone is fool enough to think that we can wake up one morning and be shut of the EU.

Does that mean we should continue with something that is sucking the country dry, because it would be difficult to remove ourselves?

Do you truly want Brussels to be making legislation for us to follow in this country?
Do you want them taking money from us hand over fist?
Do you want to pay to shore up the economies in other corrupt countries.?

It isn't just us in this country who feel disillusioned by this giant legislative machine....this money pit.

The EU itself is a bloated and corrupt organisation which has not had a budget signed off in the last 14 years. There is no transparency about how it is run and managed.
MP's don't want to see us leave the EU....they see that golden glow from the pots of money they hope to earn when they are no longer at the Palace of Westminster. And on the subject of MP's...if Brussels are going to be making all the rules then why do we continue to pay MP's £60,000+ per annum for non existent work?

I personally, think we have a snowflakes chance of a referendum.
DC and NC will dictate which way their members should vote on whether to offer the electorate a say in events....and if by some fluke of fate the MP's decide we should get a vote, DC has no obligation whatsoever to ensure that this happens.......he can just ignore it and go on his way merrily.
So as Electors we have no earthly power to influence our own destiny........ a vote of any description is just a sop to keep the masses in line.(I'm sounding increasingly like the other Margaret on here, aren't I?)

We have been defeated by Europe...not with bullets and bombs, but with Bureaucrats, taxes and red tape.
This kind of war allows the populace to live and contribute to this growing monster.

Last edited by Margaret Pilkington; 18-10-2011 at 10:48.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..