Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 27-06-2003, 06:53   #1
Junior Member+

Post Hyndburn BC to sponsor Accrington Stanley

I am delighted to hear that the Council is going to sponsor Accrington Stanley.

The club is right at the heartof the local community, so it is right for the Council to work with them, especially if they are going to run courses for kids.

The Council doesn't get everything right, but on this one they are spot on.
tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 27-06-2003, 07:08   #2

Post Re: Hyndburn BC to sponsor Accrington Stanley

Couldn't agree more.

It's been said so many times before that's it become a cliche now but nevertheless it's true - go anywhere in the world and tell people you come from Accrington and they'll mention Stanley. It's good to see the council putting something back into the club after all this publicity.

It's just a pity it couldn't be Accrington Borough Council.
ASFC1951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2003, 07:57   #3
Junior Member+

Hang on a minute. With all the problems we have in Accrington the council then decides to spend our money on sponsoring a football team? That seems awfully wrong to me, I am sure Accrington Stanley can find other sponsors and the council could spend its money on more important things. I wonder what kind of money we are talking about?
leeeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2003, 10:33   #4
Junior Member+

According to the Telegraph, its £15,000 a year for three years.

But for that, the club will be providing courses and workshops for local kids.
Old 29-06-2003, 08:09   #5
Junior Member+

£15000 is a lot of money, do they say where it is coming from? Who makes decisions like that? Not everyone in Hyndburn supports Accrington Stanley and certainly not everyone even likes football.  I might just start a tiddly winks team and see if I can earn myself some of my taxes back in council sponsorship.
leeeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2003, 08:26   #6

well thats just it leeeee!!! you need friends or a friend to start a tiddly winks team!!!no offence!!!
so no money coming your way
andrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2003, 09:10   #7

[quote author=leeeee link=board=general;num=1056696816;start=0#4 date=06/29/03 at 09:09:39]£15000 is a lot of money, do they say where it is coming from? Who makes decisions like that? Not everyone in Hyndburn supports Accrington Stanley and certainly not everyone even likes football. I might just start a tiddly winks team and see if I can earn myself some of my taxes back in council sponsorship.[/quote]

Wake up leeeee. Even if you aren't a football fan surely you can see this as a sound investment. The publicity it will bring the area will be great and if/when Accrington progress to the football league it will bring a lot more money to our area.  You should be proud to see our local team doing so well, as most of the people in hyndburn are, including, obviously the council.
ukbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2003, 07:45   #8

According to a post on the Stanley message board the money is not coming from the council tax; it's coming from something called the leisure fund which is funded by the EU.

Even if you're not interested in football or if you support Blackburn or Burnley, you must be able to see the wisdom of this move. Stanley is Accrington's most famous asset and now they've moved up to a national level for the first time since 1962, they will be generating invaluable publicity for the town. Not only, that they will be initiating community schemes which will help local youngsters.

All in all, I would say the council are getting value for money.
ASFC1951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2003, 09:56   #9
I am Banned

Its not 15k for three years.. Its 15k per year for three years..Total 45k

It is as mentioned from a leisure fund

Soccer schools are one of the thing they wil be doing togethr. Even if you don't like football I bet your kids or relatives somewhere do..

Also there isn't one thing in this borough that the council could spend money on and keep EVERYONE happy now is there?

I think its great for the club and the council
HarryX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2003, 14:38   #10
I am Banned

Its just been announced that accys first game away to aldershot has been moved to Sunday 10th aug at 5pm and will be live on SKY

How much exposure is that for hyndburn burough council as well as the team

Old 30-06-2003, 14:49   #11

Quote:
Its just been announced that accys first game away to aldershot has been moved to Sunday 10th aug at 5pm and will be live on SKY
Oh Yes!!!  You wont believe how happy I am with this! I will get to watch the first game from Moscow - I am just about to email my local bar to make sure it is definately gonna be shown!  ;D 8) ;D [smiley=smile.gif]

Back to the topic - indeed it shall be good publicity for the borough! How much would it cost normally for a 90 minute advert on sky?
ukbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2003, 17:56   #12
Junior Member+

When you look at how much it costs for an advert in the Accrington Observer or Lancashire Evening Telegraph, (it can be over £1,000 for a single advert), the value of 90 minutes TV exposure is priceless.

The Council deserve a medal!
Old 09-07-2003, 21:59   #13
Senior Member+

Come on tiddly winks well what can i say.Nobody mentions the fact that on the 10.08.03
Accrington Stanley will be on Sky Sportst at 5.00pm.
The football team could even bring in extra revunue in to the town.Ever thought of that????????
Old 09-07-2003, 22:06   #14
I am Banned

Quote:
Nobody mentions the fact that on the 10.08.03
Accrington Stanley will be on Sky Sportst at 5.00pm.
Accept the last four posts are all talking about it.. Strange you didn't see that
Old 09-07-2003, 22:53   #15

I'm out in Canada with TSN, anyone know if we might get to see it?
littlemo is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..