Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 14-05-2010, 17:58   #106
Give, give, give member

Re: Hyndburn Borough Council election results 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernard Dawson View Post
Malcolm's 8 years does make him one of the longest serving Councillors who haven't been the Mayor. There are others particularly in the Tory group who have much longer service than Malcolm, but presumably don't want the job.

Incidentally, I have no principle objection to Malcolm being the Mayor. And if that's the decision of the Council then fine. But there are other Councillors with a similar length of service who also would like to be considered for the position of Mayor this year.

...and presumably, because he holds the cards to power, the job will be his.

Nice principles.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 14-05-2010, 18:27   #107
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Malcolm's 8 years does make him one of the longest serving Councillors who haven't been the Mayor. There are others particularly in the Tory group who have much longer service than Malcolm, but presumably don't want the job.

Incidentally, I have no principle objection to Malcolm being the Mayor. And if that's the decision of the Council then fine. But there are other Councillors with a similar length of service who also would like to be considered for the position of Mayor this year.
Ah but did these others who would like to be considered vote fer his Royal Highness? if they didn't then having no principal objection is hard to see from my viewpoint.
Old 14-05-2010, 18:30   #108
Senior Member+

I was leader. At the time I chose not to speak about the negative reasons but focus on Malcolm's positive work.

Malcolm asked for Deputy Leadership, Portfolio for Regeneration, a shadow Cabinet place in succession. A powerful position.

I did not give in.

Malcolm then put pressure on to be Mayor but fearing losing to John Broadley in a democratic ballot asked me to 'work around the ballot'. Either endorsing Malcolm outright and influencing people or simply putting Malcolm forward without a ballot so John could not be Mayor.

I did not give in and insisted on a ballot.

Malcolm walked accidently into a meeting. I asked for 10 minutes to finish. Malcolm didn't like that and said "you can stuff you're Labour Party...etc."

He was working with Cllr Britcliffe from the start and when the Independents for Hyndburn found out they through him out as well. Hence the feud between the IfH and Malcolm, particularly Nick Collinridge.

There are questions about who was talking to Sharon Wilkinson of the BNP at County Hall and who got the BNP to stand in Clayton?

Fr about two years there has been an agreement between Malcolm and Peter Britcliffe and that's that. In that time Malcolm's causes have benefited and he was made disabled champion.

His feud with Jean Battle whom he defeated in 2009 is well know. Cllr Britcliffe removed her from community groups after she was defeated.

Cllr Britcliffe tried to undermine our Neighbourhood Management project with Malcolm. They conspired to put Malcolm in as chair even though he had had no involvement and knew little.

This is the dirtiest, grubbiest deal in politics.
g jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2010, 18:32   #109
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
There are others particularly in the Tory group who have much longer service than Malcolm, but presumably don't want the job.
I can understand not wanting it
Old 14-05-2010, 18:40   #110
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Ah but did these others who would like to be considered vote fer his Royal Highness? if they didn't then having no principal objection is hard to see from my viewpoint.
Cashy, What I meant was that if Malcolm becomes Mayor after a vote in the Council, a vote that is, that allows every member to vote as they like. And if that vote is for Malcolm, then fine.
Bernard Dawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2010, 18:50   #111
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Cashy, What I meant was that if Malcolm becomes Mayor after a vote in the Council, a vote that is, that allows every member to vote as they like. And if that vote is for Malcolm, then fine.
ah that explains it, well just have too keep the owd fingers crossed then.
Old 19-05-2010, 09:17   #112

Good luck to Malcom...he has done some brilliant work in the past...and should make a good Mayor
Grange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2010, 09:19   #113
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

no ones knocking his past work, just the fact he's sold his soul. personally hope the chain chokes him.
Old 19-05-2010, 10:31   #114
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grange View Post
Good luck to Malcom...he has done some brilliant work in the past...and should make a good Mayor
Personally I'm always wary of people that seek reward for going into public office.

What happened to wanting to help make a difference, without demanding to wear the mayoral chains of office, because it happens to nicely fit in with a birthday, and a wedding anniversary?

In my opinion any good work achieved has been tarnished by selling himself to those who'll pay the best dividend.

Shows a complete lack of integrity and principles, and I imagine doesn't go down too well to the people he represents.

Old 20-05-2010, 10:37   #115
Give, give, give member

Just checking out the 'new and improved' Observer website, and came across this lovely photograph, which I'd like to nominate for next year's calendar.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Organgrinderandmonkey.jpg (216.9 KB, 16 views)

Old 20-05-2010, 10:43   #116
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Just checking out the 'new and improved' Observer website, and came across this lovely photograph, which I'd like to nominate for next year's calendar.

Blood brothers
Old 20-05-2010, 10:46   #117
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Blood brothers
Er...ok.

Though either Cllr. Pritchard's stood on a little box, or Cllr. Britcliffe's down on his knees, for whatever reason.

It's a very romantic setting.

I wish them every hapiness.

Old 20-05-2010, 10:48   #118
Give, give, give member

With his finger extended like that, perhaps Cllr. Pritchard is hoping to get someone's ring on it.

Old 20-05-2010, 10:53   #119
Give, give, give member

It's a beautiful setting for a photo shoot.

Anyone know where it is?

Looks like Town Bent.

Old 20-05-2010, 14:55   #120
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
With his finger extended like that, perhaps Cllr. Pritchard is hoping to get someone's ring on it.

Is that a ring with a capital W Garinda

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..