Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 23-02-2011, 09:38   #16
Common Sense Member

Re: Hyndburn Council tax set to rise

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
I haven't heard one comment from the Labour mod on here about the millions that have been wasted since the Direct Works Department was scraped in 2002, one of the best run, if not the best run departments in Lancashire, a department that actually made money to plough back into the council coffers, now every penny profit made on on maintenance contracts, which before was retained by the council, now goes into the bank accounts of private contractors, now that is political vandalism at its worst
Garinda has rather beaten me to it but my watchword has always been how can we rectify what is wrong here and now rather than laying blame on a previous administration. The problems in this borough lie fairly and squarely with the current administration and we in opposition are all trying our damnedest to try and prevent further waste. Mistakes are always going to be made but some recent ones are so glaring that it simply baffles me how any sane council could think that they are a good idea when the majority of residents are skint.

The best thing I can think of to prevent future waste is to expose examples of it now and shame the entire council into avoiding similar situations. To me, the current controlling group simply seem to love throwing public parties to demonstrate what a good bunch they are.

Trying not to lay people off or reduce public services comes a very distant second, it would seem.

http://hyndburn-labour.blogspot.co.uk/ - Updates from the Hyndburn Labour Group
Ken Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 23-02-2011, 09:41   #17
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by heth View Post
I agree with you G, should stop papping on about the past and look at what money people (or a certain person) is wasting.

The one big question is how does he get away with it?
I know that we will prob not get the answer though
You actually think anything will change, it certainly hasn't done before and it certainly won't in the future, you'll probably find surface savings which everybody can see then there will be a major cock up through lack of thinking which will cost millions
Old 23-02-2011, 09:42   #18
Common Sense Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatso View Post
Trouble is, this is a minsdet that is everywhere, throughout all sorts of organisations across the country (and probably globally), on the basis that if an organisation, or a department, is seen not to have spent all their budget for a financial year this means they don't need as much for the next year and will get a budget decrease. Hence, the mad rush every Feb/March to ensure every penny of budget is spent, even if on pointless stuff. Then they can say they spent all their budget, and must need some more. Also, if there's surplus at the end of the year, this is often taken back. There's no incentive to come in under budget.

Anyone that does blame it on 13 years of Labour Rule doesn't understand budgets, as it's a practice that's been going on for years. Long before 1997...
Absolutely spot on, which is why all spending should be publicly accounted for, department by department.

In an age of austerity we need to have better transparency with public money so that savings can be identified by everyone, not simply those who ask the right questions.

Old 23-02-2011, 09:43   #19
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Moss View Post
Garinda has rather beaten me to it
Sorry.

I am predicted a medal position, in the posting sprint, at the 2012 Special Olympics.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2011, 09:45   #20
Common Sense Member

Quote:
You actually think anything will change, it certainly hasn't done before and it certainly won't in the future, you'll probably find surface savings which everybody can see then there will be a major cock up through lack of thinking which will cost millions
As I said, mistakes have been made in the past and from what I can see they have been secretly agreed by Cabinet and pushed through at council.

'Lack of thinking' is your own key phrase there and I agree.

Old 23-02-2011, 09:49   #21
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
I think it must be a typo, and should read mob.

Unless he knows something we don't.

Perhaps he's heard Labour supporting Accy Web moderators are planning to put their parkas on, hop on their scooters, and head down to Broadway, to take part in some community art.

A Sixties Flash Mob Mod Drive By.

Would you like a Job advising a Councillor about what is best for the area?

With such imagination as seen above, I'm sure you would be a breath of fresh air, unlike the usual halitosis type diatribe similar to, '13 years of destroying a profitable department'.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2011, 09:50   #22
Common Sense Member

Quote:
Sorry.

I am predicted a medal position, in the posting sprint, at the 2012 Special Olympics.

Yellow ribbon has already been allocated, blue is for ex-Mayors, other than that take your pick.

We're predicting a surplus of scrap metal in May so I'm afraid that whether you come first, second or third your medal will be made of brass.

Old 23-02-2011, 09:51   #23
Give, give, give member

Quote:
You can't live always harking back to the past.

Things can, and do change.

Donkey jacket wearing Michael Foot to People's Princess Tony Blair, in just over eleven years?

The lady's not for turning, to Cameron, sharing, caring, and telling us to hug a hoodie?

I'd suggest things change quite a lot.

Old 23-02-2011, 09:53   #24

Quote:
So, if nothing changed before and nothing changed after, how come it's all Labours fault even though your missing best buddy is in charge?
Old 23-02-2011, 09:54   #25
Beacon of light

Quote:

That is the kind of mindset which means that things don't get changed.
As soon as you say it is impossible....it becomes so.

There has to be a constant effort to expose where the waste is, and eradicate it....not trying to change things is not an option.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2011, 09:55   #26
Senior Member+

Thankyou everyone, that is what I was trying to get accross but ob worded it wrong!!!
I never think about the last.
heth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2011, 09:58   #27
God Member

Quote:
The interest payments each month would happily pay for a few flash mobs, or maybe even allow a certain toilet to remain open.
Well that would be a good theory if the toilets had been closed on cost grounds, but they haven't
Old 23-02-2011, 09:58   #28

Quote:
Yellow ribbon has already been allocated, blue is for ex-Mayors, other than that take your pick.

We're predicting a surplus of scrap metal in May so I'm afraid that whether you come first, second or third your medal will be made of brass.
Surely with a little searching a cheaper but tolerable alternative to brass could be found?

We need to save brass, not squander it on a turbo powered keyboard frippery such as is rindy?
Old 23-02-2011, 09:58   #29
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
Would you like a Job advising a Councillor about what is best for the area?
I have offered.

I'm even prepared to reduce my annual fee from £43,000.00 to £42,000.00.

A man has to live, after all.

Old 23-02-2011, 10:03   #30
Senior Member+

Quote:
I have offered.

I'm even prepared to reduce my annual fee from £43,000.00 to £42,000.00.

A man has to live, after all.

If you did the same job as well for the County Council G, you could probably get another 12 grand on top of that.
Bernard Dawson is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..