Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 23-02-2011, 10:05   #31
Resting in Peace

Re: Hyndburn Council tax set to rise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Moss View Post
As I said, mistakes have been made in the past and from what I can see they have been secretly agreed by Cabinet and pushed through at council.

'Lack of thinking' is your own key phrase there and I agree.
I have long been an advocate of politically free local government, but it would never work, but the idea of everybody pulling together instead of the us and them, and the opposing of anything the other lot do would be very refreshing. There are first class people working as councillors from all parties, no matter what anybody says about Britcliffe he never has any problems at being re-elected, nobody has ever come near removing him, ask Garinda. You soon find out which councillors are not doing the job they were elected to do, the public vote them out. Its just a shame that local politicians sometimes lose there seats on national issues, if there was no party politics this wouldn't happen
Old 23-02-2011, 10:06   #32
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
Surely with a little searching a cheaper but tolerable alternative to brass could be found?

We need to save brass, not squander it on a turbo powered keyboard frippery such as is rindy?
When I take gold at the Special Olympic's posting dash, I shall refuse any medal, and Black Panther style, give my own special salute from the podium.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2011, 10:07   #33
Resting in Peace

Quote:
So, if nothing changed before and nothing changed after, how come it's all Labours fault even though your missing best buddy is in charge?
Well there is a supposed underspend this year of £750,000 Less
Old 23-02-2011, 10:10   #34
Common Sense Member

Quote:
Surely with a little searching a cheaper but tolerable alternative to brass could be found?

We need to save brass, not squander it on a turbo powered keyboard frippery such as is rindy?
Brass has been in particularly short supply in recent years due to an ego explosion in 1999 which ripped through the borough.

You can still see engraved bits of shrapnel embedded in walls.

http://hyndburn-labour.blogspot.co.uk/ - Updates from the Hyndburn Labour Group
Ken Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2011, 10:10   #35
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
When I take gold at the Special Olympic's posting dash, I shall refuse any medal, and Black Panther style, give my own special salute from the podium.

I did hear that Jaysay claims he could beat your speed with two fingers tied together, unfortunately he has had to withdraw since the judges brought in the accuracy and legibility rule.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2011, 10:11   #36
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
...ask Garinda.
Popularity in the borough aside, like many others, he is a good ward councillor.

Though I suspect some in St. Andrew's do vote for selfish reasons, and think having the Council Leader as their representative holds some kudos, and will result in extra privileges.

Old 23-02-2011, 10:14   #37
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Moss View Post
Garinda has rather beaten me to it but my watchword has always been how can we rectify what is wrong here and now rather than laying blame on a previous administration. The problems in this borough lie fairly and squarely with the current administration and we in opposition are all trying our damnedest to try and prevent further waste.
Does that mean if things change in May that you wont blame the previous administration and just get on with rectifying the problems?
Old 23-02-2011, 10:15   #38
Common Sense Member

Quote:
I have long been an advocate of politically free local government, but it would never work, but the idea of everybody pulling together instead of the us and them, and the opposing of anything the other lot do would be very refreshing. There are first class people working as councillors from all parties, no matter what anybody says about Britcliffe he never has any problems at being re-elected, nobody has ever come near removing him, ask Garinda. You soon find out which councillors are not doing the job they were elected to do, the public vote them out. Its just a shame that local politicians sometimes lose there seats on national issues, if there was no party politics this wouldn't happen
I understand that Peter is one of the few councillors whose personality helps swings the vote his way in St Andrews but as far as the residents of wider Hyndburn are concerned he is given a tremendous boost by being Leader of the Council and channelling money into projects in Oswaldtwistle.

He isn't revered for spending money in Rishton or many other wards, with the likely exception of Baxenden.

Old 23-02-2011, 10:15   #39
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Popularity in the borough aside, like many others, he is a good ward councillor.

Though I suspect some in St. Andrew's do vote for selfish reasons, and think having the Council Leader as their representative holds some kudos, and will result in extra privileges.
He hasn't always been the council leader, he was a councillor 17 years prior to taking up the post How many councillors have 17 unbroken years service on the council, never mind 28
Old 23-02-2011, 10:19   #40
Give, give, give member

Quote:
I did hear that Jaysay claims he could beat your speed with two fingers tied together, unfortunately he has had to withdraw since the judges brought in the accuracy and legibility rule.
That's the inspiration behind my salute.

Typing with one finger, on my non-dominant hand.

I'll happily salute Jaysay any day.

I do appreciate the efforts it takes to be a trier.

Old 23-02-2011, 10:19   #41
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
He hasn't always been the council leader, he was a councillor 17 years prior to taking up the post How many councillors have 17 unbroken years service on the council, never mind 28
That would possibly end very quickly if someone that knows which cupboards containing the skeletons, was to speak out.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2011, 10:20   #42

As much as people should be questioning what is going on at the top, people need to be, more concerned at what is going on locally.

Jaysay your things never change is puzzling...it has to or we are going to get deeper cuts,debts,job cuts and fall further into the none recession we are in now.

By constantly reverting back to the past to blame whoever,gives those in charge now the right to waste funds. I think not...

More fool those that take the bribes(allegedly), nothing is ever free I was always told.

Last edited by odders; 23-02-2011 at 10:27. Reason: oops
odders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2011, 10:21   #43
Give, give, give member

Quote:
I was referring to recent elections.

Taken, he wasn't always enthroned in his present exalted position.

Old 23-02-2011, 10:25   #44
Common Sense Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
Does that mean if things change in May that you wont blame the previous administration and just get on with rectifying the problems?
With the ranting I've done in the past 12 months I should hardly need to but there will be fallout from decisions that we will have to 'correct' that will take time and I imagine that I won't be able to hold back from venting spleen once or twice. You may pull me up on it when the time comes.

I wish that things could be solved at the click of a finger but a change of control in May will involve much more work and I look forward to it. The Labour group already know that I will be scrutinising every last thing once the books are opened and I will take great pleasure in making recommendations for economies to people who might actually listen.

For a man who glories in telling us of 28 years in politics, Cllr Britcliffe's stock response always seems to revolve around it being someone else's fault, usually a government who is no longer in power and so far removed from controlling Hyndburn as to be a separate entity.

If I ever resort to 'Usual reply' tactics then please inform me that I've run out of ideas and it's time to go.

Old 23-02-2011, 10:30   #45
Beacon of light

Quote:
I have long been an advocate of politically free local government, but it would never work, but the idea of everybody pulling together instead of the us and them, and the opposing of anything the other lot do would be very refreshing.
John you make the claim that a politically free local government wouldn't work, but you give no reasons as to why it wouldn't.

Local politics should be divorced from national politics, as they are entirely different animals.....and only serve to confuse some of the electorate....who think they are voting for the same things locally as they do nationally......and follow slavishly a political doctrine/dogma.

Why can't local councillors work together? They would gain far more respect from the voters if they could all pull in the same direction....and in the long run, the town and its environment would benefit.

It is time to stop slinging mud and insults and do what is right for the borough.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..