Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 29-07-2011, 21:03   #61
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: Hyndburn Homes - security compromised.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
Why replace a roof just because it is 30 years old. Mine is original and about 3 times as old
Cos the roof on houses like yours was slate n made to last?
Old 29-07-2011, 21:06   #62
God Member

Quote:
Why replace a roof just because it is 30 years old. Mine is original and about 3 times as old
Welsh slate lasts a lifetime - concrete tiles crack with weathering.
Soon after I moved in I had a massive leak -it filled a bucket in my lounge.
They slapped a bit of cement on up there, but didn't replace the bulging ceiling plasterboard - but that was before HH took over from HBC.

...incidentally my walls and ceilings are wallpaper directly applied to plasterboard - no plaster! = 'jerry built'
....and the wall between my bedroom and the stairwell is single brick, hence no insulation possible.

Last edited by MargaretR; 29-07-2011 at 21:11.
MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2011, 21:08   #63
mez
God Member

margaret (r) the communal light in my block was flashing like crazy from wednesday evening last week, i rang them on monday & was repaired by thursday this week same day as they took the locks out, iv'e been wondering why 2 men with the yellow waistcoat type jackets keep going into the flat opposite, im wondering if they are doing some sort of tests in there, looking for what ican't think can you ?
Old 29-07-2011, 21:12   #64

Quote:
errr..terrace stone built with slate roof, or prefab concrete build with tiles no brainer
odders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2011, 21:16   #65
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by odders View Post
errr..terrace stone built with slate roof, or prefab concrete build with tiles no brainer
well it is neil.
Old 29-07-2011, 21:21   #66
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mez View Post
margaret (r) the communal light in my block was flashing like crazy from wednesday evening last week, i rang them on monday & was repaired by thursday this week same day as they took the locks out, iv'e been wondering why 2 men with the yellow waistcoat type jackets keep going into the flat opposite, im wondering if they are doing some sort of tests in there, looking for what ican't think can you ?
The meter that records the usage (and bill) for the two stairwell lights is likely housed in that flat opposite you. It is that way in this block.
The man who moved in below me was confused by having two meters until I reasoned that by tracing the wiring so we could find out which was his meter.

Last week we had two men subcontracted by HH to examine stairwells. They also looked in lofts seeking asbestos. The old exhaust pipes from the previous gas warm air system are still in the loft and they bagged samples and said they suspected asbestos.
So - if this indicates a plan to reroof (which they said it was) asbestos removal will increase costs and further postpone it

PS just thought of another complication that could affect reroofing - your block has an owner occupier likely still using gas warm air so they can't remove that one.

Last edited by MargaretR; 29-07-2011 at 21:26.
Old 29-07-2011, 21:22   #67

see below

Last edited by odders; 29-07-2011 at 21:24.
Old 29-07-2011, 21:24   #68

oppps
Old 29-07-2011, 21:26   #69
mez
God Member

the meter for the lights must be in my shed margaret ive followed the wiring from the light, heaven help them if they want to get in my shed, still got boxes unpacked in there plus xmas stuff ha ha
Old 29-07-2011, 21:32   #70
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mez View Post
the meter for the lights must be in my shed margaret ive followed the wiring from the light, heaven help them if they want to get in my shed, still got boxes unpacked in there plus xmas stuff ha ha
Now and again you will have a meter reader wanting access.
They keep trying to read the one in this block but he is out most of the time so they must be estimating all time. Usage anually should be the same every year, just varies seasonally with lighting up time.

Old 30-07-2011, 09:14   #71
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
I have had no explanation why my landing light is still off, so they are keeping me in the dark still . It happened concurrently with the lock removal so I suspect ulterior motives.as I usually do
Suspicious minds an Elvis favorite Margaret
Old 30-07-2011, 09:15   #72
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by odders View Post
Concrete, you should coco
Old 30-07-2011, 09:36   #73
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Concrete, you should coco
What makes you think that these flats are all brick - a brick facing covering grey block is standard building practice.
I wouldn't contemplate buying one of these flats -
...warped window sills
...broken window handles
...hardboard panel doors
...the lack of plaster on the plasterboard
...no insulation in the panels under the windows
...no insulation on the wall adjoining the stairwell
...bare concrete stair access (I painted the steps with floor paint)
...a kitchen you cant swing a cat round in
...boxed in, surface mounted, piping for the central heating (at ceiling level would you believe)

The only advantage of the flat I am in is location

Last edited by MargaretR; 30-07-2011 at 09:45.
Old 30-07-2011, 09:58   #74
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
What makes you think that these flats are all brick - a brick facing covering grey block is standard building practice.
I wouldn't contemplate buying one of these flats -
...warped window sills
...broken window handles
...hardboard panel doors
...the lack of plaster on the plasterboard
...no insulation in the panels under the windows
...no insulation on the wall adjoining the stairwell
...bare concrete stair access (I painted the steps with floor paint)
...a kitchen you cant swing a cat round in
...boxed in, surface mounted, piping for the central heating (at ceiling level would you believe)

The only advantage of the flat I am in is location
They're not all brick in fact at all the interiors are studded partitions and the huge front panel is wood in a lot of cases. Margaret they don't use plaster on plasterboard these days either, the joints are sealed and papered over and apart from the floors no concrete
Old 30-07-2011, 10:11   #75
God Member

When you think about it, any refurbishing they do is just surface gloss on a substandard structure. They are flimsy boxes.
I have to correct the positioning of pictures on my walls because closing a door shakes the walls. That heavy machinery passing to the football field causes my furniture to shake.

The removal of security is like the last straw - I call this my 'council cave' - now the boulder at the entrance has gone

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..