Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 28-07-2011, 10:51   #1
God Member

Hyndburn Homes - security compromised.

Hyndburn Homes - security compromised.

I live in a block of 4 flats with a communal stairwell.
Today the locks have been removed from the two stairwell exterior doors.
This has been done in the name of Health and Safety on the grounds that it enables us to exit faster in case of fire.
It is a cheaper option that providing us with windows that will open wide enough to allow us to exit that way.

In doing this they have exposed us to a more probable threat of anti social behaviour.
There have been times when one of us four (a man with 'learning difficulties') has left a door unlocked at night.

He tends to wander outside at night in the early hours, and we have had overnight staircase squatters who leave us 'prezzies' - empty booze bottles !

This bring to mind my days of Social security visiting at the Shadsworth deck access flats when the stairwells there were an overnight home to drunks and druggies.

I will be making serious efforts to find alternative accommodation.

Last edited by MargaretR; 28-07-2011 at 10:53.
MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 28-07-2011, 11:21   #2

Re: Hyndburn Homes - security compromised.

I live in the block as margaret and fully support her views.This blind adherence to stupid H@S causes people to die.Hyndburn homes did not consult,just a letter saying we are going to remove the door locks, end of story,no consultation,very little notice.In my opinion elderly and vulnerable are now more at risk than before.
b rawlinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2011, 11:24   #3
God Member

i used to live in a council flat that had a communal hallway that didnt have locks and kids would not only hang around in there playing music and drinking but on the odd occasion you could walk in on them having sex or taking drugs.

absolutely stupid for these locks to be removed especially as most residents in these flats are vulnerable or elderly.

the flat i had was in accy off dill hall lane about 15 years ago and they have since been demolished because of the problems they caused.One elderly woman was beaten up by a teenage couple after she walked in on them having sex in the hallway and told them to clear off

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2011, 11:33   #4
Resting in Peace

They could fit one way locks,Not very expensive but effective.

ie.you need a key to get in but not to get out.

Some people think I'm a bit of an animal, but I'm quite tender really
Benipete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2011, 11:52   #5
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

They should have fitted fire push bar type locks or just euro cylinder mortice locks with internal thumb turns so you can get out easily. They would replace the old mortice locks in your outside doors with only little work.
Old 28-07-2011, 12:05   #6
God Member

You recall how last year a man with 'learning difficulties' was beaten up on the street in Ossy. That man is a friend of a man in this block and visits him often.

Vulnerable people are a magnet for young thugs to intimidate and 'have fun with'.
Within the last year a group of such thugs were standing on the roadway and were calling his name.
The doors were locked - now they can enter and stand at my, and his, front door in order to try to goad him to come out so they can have 'fun'.

Old 28-07-2011, 12:18   #7
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
You recall how last year a man with 'learning difficulties' was beaten up on the street in Ossy. That man is a friend of a man in this block and visits him often.

Vulnerable people are a magnet for young thugs to intimidate and 'have fun with'.
Within the last year a group of such thugs were standing on the roadway and were calling his name.
The doors were locked - now they can enter and stand at my, and his, front door in order to try to goad him to come out so they can have 'fun'.
I did not think your flats were specifically for people with learning difficulties. Maybe he is in the wrong accommodation.
Old 28-07-2011, 12:22   #8
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
I did not think your flats were specifically for people with learning difficulties. Maybe he is in the wrong accommodation.
His mother will not like the idea of him moving out since she has just spent £3000 on having a new kitchen fitted - something that was scheduled for these flats 3 years ago and never happened.

Old 28-07-2011, 13:01   #9

Do Hyndburn Homes have any consumer panels? I am with Eaves Brook part of the Harvest Housing org. They involve customers and have loads of different panels and some residents are on the Harvest board.

If Hyndburn Homes did have such a policy to involve tenants maybe you could join one of them and make your voice heard.
phil8715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2011, 14:05   #10
God Member

I seriously doubt that the residents groups they have are anything more than a Google Page Ranking excercise. I am not well enough to dedicate time to them.
Hyndburn Homes regularly inundate us with glossy brochures telling us how wonderful they are - (wasting money) - I suppose if they tell us often enough some will believe it.

Their latest Google Page Ranking veture is 'become a secret shopper'
http://www.hyndburnhomes.co.uk/defau...73&fileid=1102
You will receive:
• a free training course and ongoing support
• all expenses paid when carrying out the role and help with any
childcare
• shopping vouchers
• experience for your CV

I am well aware that Twin Valley Homes provides a far better service to their tenants.
No doubt some HH homes have received the refurbishments that were sheduled for them - some haven't.

Maybe if they spent less on brochures saying how wonderful they are they may have cash to make a proper job of repairs and refurbishments.

Old 28-07-2011, 14:30   #11

HH do mystery shopping aswell. I keep asking myself if the government hadn't told the Housing associations to involve customers more.

Would they involve customers more? I think probably not.
phil8715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2011, 14:39   #12
God Member

Hyndburn Homes recently funded an 'alcohol awareness' excercise
Contour Homes - Hyndburn Homes Social Housing, Regeneration and Community News & Events Details
...so the next alcoholic squatter on our staircase will be provided with the telephone contact number they supplied

Old 28-07-2011, 14:55   #13
God Member

At twin valley homes our communal blocks have the one way locks so from the outside you need a key but not from the inside so can still exit quickly in an emergency.

We also have lots of resident assoc and can assure you if enough residents say they don't like something then it gets changed as it is measured towards our customer excellence award we go for every year!! We also have a couple of tenants who sit on the board where the final decision for anything is made.

I can't believe HH have just removed the locks, madness!!!!!!!!!!!!

I know this may come as a shock but believe it or not all views I may air on here are my own work!!!!!
harwood red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2011, 14:57   #14
Beacon of light

Margaret, looks like you should be looking for something with Twin Valley Homes.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2011, 14:59   #15
God Member

only if she wants to move to blackburn or darwen marg lol

I know this may come as a shock but believe it or not all views I may air on here are my own work!!!!!
harwood red is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..