Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-08-2010, 07:29   #1
Common Sense Member

Hyndburn Labour unhappy at cuts?

I have just read Cllr Britcliffe's wonderfully self-congratulatory Viewpoint on the council website:

Leaders Viewpoint July 2010

Whilst echoing his own column in The Observer and not telling us anything about the real spending going on, the final paragraph is neither professional or accurate.

In actual fact, the Hyndburn Labour group agree that cuts do need to be made across the borough and are not opposing them all as is implied here. The Labour group put forward a motion that was carried at the last full council meeting to send a letter to the chancellor opposing the rise in VAT - Cllr Britcliffe was such a man of the people that he tried to have it quashed and turn it round into an attack on opposition groups.

The cuts that I personally would love to see generally relate to self-serving projects from Britcliffe himself and figure-fiddling that makes it look like he has personally saved us £1.9m over the past year. In actual fact he awarded himself £690k extra last year to fund projects and has just had around £600k from a VAT refund dating back years. With additional creative accounting he hasn't saved a bean, plus he has just increased the 'Cabinet Action Fund' to £100k, despite the fact that he has consistently underspent the £60K allowance in previous years. This fund can be spent in any way that the Leader wishes on anything he chooses and has the right of veto on any application.

This is our money, he is trying to spend vast amounts this year that will leave whoever is in power next year with nothing in the pot. Forget your political allegiances and ask what is good for Hyndburn because Labour, Conservative or other, we will all be in the same boat. Simply attacking the previous administration is not my idea of a good answer or showing that you want to do what is best for the people today.

Do we really need the Floral Market towns project and how much is it costing?

How much is spent on new projects in each ward?

What are the figures for spending the Cabinet Action Fund in previous years and what are the applications that have been passed this year?

I would urge you all to question Hyndburn Council spending and take it up with Peter Britcliffe directly as his contact details are at the bottom of the page on the link above.

http://hyndburn-labour.blogspot.co.uk/ - Updates from the Hyndburn Labour Group
Ken Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 03-08-2010, 12:41   #2
God Member

Re: Hyndburn Labour unhappy at cuts?

Ok so, the question to asked is why is the idoit-in-cheif so anxious to get his ugly mug in the papers and to paint himself as everyones benevolent older brother? What is his ulterior motive? Am I correct in supposing that he was mightly miffed when he was not selected to stand for the parliamentary constituency at the last election? If so might there not be some connection? Or does he, perhaps, have ambitions in quango related areas?
Old 03-08-2010, 12:56   #3
God Member

God moves in mysterious ways - and so does Britcliffe. There is no doubt that he was seriously peeved off at not being selected as the constituency candidate and I would guess that due to the age factor he is unlikely to be selected in 5 years time or whenever the next election pops up. Maybe he's angling for a seat in the Lords? Now there's a thought - Lord Britcliffe of Ossy!

As for the quango malarky, I suspect nothing will happen there, simply because this government is intent on getting rid of them. There is however, one frightening possibility and that concerns the revamp of the local NHS bureaucracy. If,as planned, the purse strings are to be handed over to local GP's then invariably there will be some form of political representation to sit alongside them and so that means someone like Britcliffe could well end up determining clinical priorities for the ill folk of Hyndburn. Yuk!
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 13:56   #4
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealeaf View Post
God moves in mysterious ways - and so does Britcliffe. There is no doubt that he was seriously peeved off at not being selected as the constituency candidate and I would guess that due to the age factor he is unlikely to be selected in 5 years time or whenever the next election pops up. Maybe he's angling for a seat in the Lords? Now there's a thought - Lord Britcliffe of Ossy!

As for the quango malarky, I suspect nothing will happen there, simply because this government is intent on getting rid of them. There is however, one frightening possibility and that concerns the revamp of the local NHS bureaucracy. If,as planned, the purse strings are to be handed over to local GP's then invariably there will be some form of political representation to sit alongside them and so that means someone like Britcliffe could well end up determining clinical priorities for the ill folk of Hyndburn. Yuk!

Aaaaaargh! It doesn't bear thinking about Tealeaf.......why did you have to bring up that spectre and give me nightmares?
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 06:51   #5
Common Sense Member

He was indeed miffed by all accounts, so much so that he was seen watching television in his living room on May 6th when he should have watching Karen Buckley get roundly thrashed at the polls.

I learned from a surprising source yesterday that it is understood there were secret meetings to discuss a leadership challenge while Britcliffe had his recent holiday.

I would welcome such a move, it would be nice to argue the toss with a leader of the opposition that I have some respect for.

Old 04-08-2010, 09:04   #6
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Aaaaaargh! It doesn't bear thinking about Tealeaf.......why did you have to bring up that spectre and give me nightmares?
Because he is right. Anything that becomes decentralised polictitions want in to be sure it is run right regardless of the fact interference culled at one level opens up some at a different level. Quango's are government approved control freaks that arnt happy unless they are ramming fingers in the pies. When they pull out some of the filling goes as well.

Right if Briti does end up as Mr T says then all of you need to move to Ossy as true to form they will get the best deal.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 16:36   #7
Senior Member+

It's not really any of my business as I don't now live in Hyndburn,but a report which appears to summarize the things which the leader of a large council thinks are important for a whole month of his leadership and boils down to £1 Blackpool trips,50 pence swimming for young people and an update on a snooker club suggests not a lot is happening in Hyndburn.Is that so? Oh, and has a go at Labour for having a go at him.Isn't that what they're there for? And no,I'm not Labour.
Gordon Booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 18:09   #8
Common Sense Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Booth View Post
It's not really any of my business as I don't now live in Hyndburn,but a report which appears to summarize the things which the leader of a large council thinks are important for a whole month of his leadership and boils down to £1 Blackpool trips,50 pence swimming for young people and an update on a snooker club suggests not a lot is happening in Hyndburn.Is that so? Oh, and has a go at Labour for having a go at him.Isn't that what they're there for? And no,I'm not Labour.
There is plenty that needs looking at in Hyndburn but the problem is that money is being thrown at pet projects rather than long term objectives. £500 for a Kabaddi tournament in Oswaldtwistle? Another dollop of cash to celebrate 10 years of Area Management Councils? We're in a recession, we should be stopping all this frivolous spending and channelling bigger amounts into what is important.

Hyndburn only really equates to St Andrews ward as far as Britcliffe is concerned, which is why all the really 'good news' is centred there.

In fairness to him, Peter has given Rishton (my ward) and the rest of the borough the free bus service to Far Corfe.

Old 04-08-2010, 18:19   #9
Senior Member+

Far Corfe?Isn't that a rather nice Greek island.Free service there? I'll move back to Accrington.
Gordon Booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 18:38   #10
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Far Corfe?Isn't that a rather nice Greek island.
Aye, it's right along there with Pawth Call as a destination of choice
DaveinGermany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 23:18   #11
Common Sense Member

Quote:
Far Corfe?Isn't that a rather nice Greek island.Free service there? I'll move back to Accrington.
Far Corfe is on the lips of many people when Peter Britcliffe speaks.

Old 25-11-2011, 09:16   #12
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Moss View Post

This is our money.

I would urge you all to question Hyndburn Council spending
Ok, thanks.

Will do.

How much of our money was spent on this year's Christmas lights switch-on?

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2011, 09:46   #13
Resting in Peace

Another question, how much will it cost to replace the benches outside the market hall?

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..