Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 28-10-2004, 16:27   #106
Resident Waffler

Re: Hyndburn Life ?

If anyone is wondering why there are difficulties signing on or registering with Hyndburn Life may I draw your attention to a posting on there by Brian who has viewed the source of the page and the html is all to pot.

No HTML opening tag at the beginning of the document but one partially into the page, no less than four HEAD tags scattered about, no opening or closing BODY tags (one wonders how there can be any page at all) and no closing HTML tag at all whatsoever.

This is what we're paying £130,000 for?

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 28-10-2004, 17:01   #107
God Member

I have just had another look at the Hyndburnlite site, What a complete and utter Ba**s-up! Cant log in, Can't post, The whole thing is liberally sown with factual errors, bad spelling and pointless and/or inadequate links. You couldn't have done a worse job if you had tried - really hard.
Old 28-10-2004, 17:04   #108
God Member

I bet Doug and Sandra could sort it.

Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive.
yerself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2004, 17:08   #109
Resident Waffler

I've just been looking at the source myself and trying to make head or tail of it. "Messy" is an understatement.

Old 28-10-2004, 17:37   #110
Filthy / Gorgeous

Bejeweled Blitz Champion!

I am still unable to register and still getting a page of computer drivel everytime I try. I have now given up trying.

The views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of my family, friends, employer, this site, my neighbours, hairdresser, dentist, GP, next door's dog or anyone else who knows me..
lettie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2004, 18:01   #111
God Member

I have just had a look at the "events" calendar. On the 11th of November there is to be an Artist's Market and Pot Fair from 9am to 5pm at which entrance is free - how nice! The only trouble is that you have to guess where it is to be held because the site has thoughtfully omitted that information. The same is true with a Charity Night to be held for the benefit of MS sufferers. I couldn't be bothered to read any more, but I would assume that they are all the same.

Last edited by Acrylic-bob; 28-10-2004 at 18:02.
Acrylic-bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2004, 20:50   #112
Resident Waffler

Quote:
Originally Posted by lettie
I am still unable to register and still getting a page of computer drivel everytime I try. I have now given up trying.
That's because the page isn't created properly. Those of us who have managed to get on seem to have done so by pure fluke.

They have at last responded to one of my contact emails telling them of an error on the site but I wonder if it really is worth submitting feedback regarding the total lack of accurate and complete information.

Old 28-10-2004, 21:51   #113
Always EVIL within us

Red face Re: Hyndburn Life ?

I have "borrowed" a couple of comments from "Brian" that he posted in the Hyndburnlife forum. I hope he doesn't mind, he has put some effort into finding the failings of that website and its a shame that the majority of interested parties are unable to read them!

I hope they are readable.

Thank you Brian.
Attached Files
File Type: doc hyburnlife.com.doc (63.5 KB, 27 views)
Old 29-10-2004, 00:04   #114

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acrylic-bob
I have just had a look at the "events" calendar. On the 11th of November there is to be an Artist's Market and Pot Fair from 9am to 5pm at which entrance is free - how nice! .
Might have it wrong but thought the pot fair started on Monday which is the 1st.

Sara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2004, 07:26   #115
God Member

Well that will teach me to wear my glasses and take a bit more care.

On closer inspection I now see that it is the 1st of November. Thanks for correcting me on that Sara. Still, it doesn't tell you where it is though.
Old 29-10-2004, 12:19   #116
God Member

Oh, but it just gets better and better...

I opened up my copy of the Observer this morning to be regaled with news of "Top New Hyndburn Council Website" Apparently HBC is "spearheading the new site as part of it's e-strategy in partnership with several other groups. The project has received £500,000 in European and SRB funding and a further £150,000 from the office of the Deputy Prime Minister to turn it into a reality."

£650,000
For an "Off-the-shelf" website that doesn't work.
Old 29-10-2004, 12:35   #117
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Oh,

£650,000
Groan,What ever you do don't tell Roy he'll be spitting feathers!
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2004, 17:24   #118
Always EVIL within us

Quote:
Oh, but it just gets better and better...

I opened up my copy of the Observer this morning to be regaled with news of "Top New Hyndburn Council Website" Apparently HBC is "spearheading the new site as part of it's e-strategy in partnership with several other groups. The project has received £500,000 in European and SRB funding and a further £150,000 from the office of the Deputy Prime Minister to turn it into a reality."

£650,000
Don't want to change the direction of the thread but, couldn't they "borrow" a bit of that money for "project Phoenix?" As reported in the same copy of the "Observer" They have been granted over £800.000 to complete it, but surprisingly, still have a shortfall of £50.000 because they added up wrongly!
Because of this, the project has "stalled" again and those families in the immediate area will have to go on living next to dilapidated houses for the forseeable future. On a high note, IF their PC's haven't been knicked, they can at least enjoy the delights of Hyndburnlife.com.
Old 29-10-2004, 17:42   #119
God Member

I must correct you there Busman, Rix said the shortfall would be FIVE HUNDRED THOUSAND not Fifty Thousand.
Old 29-10-2004, 17:48   #120
Resident Waffler

Only £50,000 short? Couldn't we have a whip round for that?

Getting back to the Hyndburn Life website, I too read the Observer article which tells us that "a wealth of information about Hyndburn is now available at the click of a button" that we are offered "a range of sections, forums, contact details, free email and links to other websites"

It mentions the tools to build your own website but fails to point out that it only applies to businesses.

Then of course there are the "useful facts" about the borough. Useful?

Apparently this is "more than a traditional passive gateway to information".

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..