Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-10-2004, 15:54   #1
Roy
Administrator

Hyndburn Life ?

Just seen a billboard poster advertising a new Hyndburn Community website called HyndburnLife. Located at HyndburnLife.co.uk. I assume this is a council run thing due to the large cost of billboard advertising.

Anybody know anything about it? Is it going to be competition for us?
Can we compete with a council run website with unlimited public funds for advertising?
Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 07-10-2004, 16:04   #2
God Member

Talking Re: Hyndburn Life ?

Looks like a typical council job. It's only the council who use Hyndburn as their main header...every one else is Accy, Ossy, Church, etc.....

I wonder where they got the dosh from to pay for it? Probably from flogging the Market Hall.

Unless, of course, it's Kipax with one of his schemes...

Last edited by Tealeaf; 07-10-2004 at 16:09.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2004, 16:29   #3
Filthy / Gorgeous

Bejeweled Blitz Champion!
Re: Hyndburn Life ?

I wouldn't worry about the competition. If it's a HBC run website it's bound to fall on its ar$e like everything else that they do...

The views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of my family, friends, employer, this site, my neighbours, hairdresser, dentist, GP, next door's dog or anyone else who knows me..
lettie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2004, 16:40   #4
mez
God Member

i wouldnt worry bout it roy, i cannot get on it even though its supposed to start this week (Typical hbc) but much prefare this site anyway, lots of good & sound issues on here
Old 07-10-2004, 17:53   #5
God Member

Well, I for one will not be deserting accyweb. However if it is HBC I shall certainly be sticking my oar in
Old 07-10-2004, 21:40   #6
Accy Goddess

Competition?
What Competition?
There is NO Competition.

ACCYWEB. Is the BEST there is.
ANNE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2004, 22:30   #7
Always EVIL within us

There is only one Accy forum and I am already a member. If this site is run by the PC Brigade council, I will give them so much stick.........and report back to you all
Busman747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2004, 00:38   #8
God Member

Interesting to note that whoever is making the website is using Microsoft Visual Studio 7.0 which tells me they are going to make a website thats not cross and backward compatible and the author doesn't know enough not to use such toys.

Supisingly though.. whoever set this up has used there brains in the domain reg department and registered all the more common TLDs such as com/net/org as well as the co.uk ... The reason you do this is to protect the domain.

If for example you have hyndburnlife.co.uk and you put a lot of resources and advertising into making it a big busy website.... whoever registers hyndburnlife.com can cash in on your success..so they protected themselves .. well done... i was gong to purchase the .com drat!

This is going to be interesting and yes it will be competition if they make it interactive. The regulars here may not go.. But I would use it and others would I am sure (some already say they will even if just to give em hell).. Then theres the new people on the net (thousands every crimbo) would go to the offiicial hyndburn messageboard as advertised all over hyndburn rather than a private run one.. They will be under the impression that someone from the council is reading and gives a damm what they are writing and over time will be an even bigger threat.

But.. they tried a messageboard once and gave up in less than a week... they might not try it again..... or ?

Lets wait and see...

Time to ressurect my hyndburn domain... wheres me pink crayons ..

Last edited by KIPAX; 08-10-2004 at 00:40.
KIPAX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2004, 10:13   #9
God Member

This is where it comes from.....money wasted by HBC on yet another bucket of snot:

http://www.hyndburnbc.gov.uk/Your_Co...B_March_04.pdf
Old 08-10-2004, 10:52   #10

[QUOTE=KIPAX]Interesting to note that whoever is making the website is using Microsoft Visual Studio 7.0 which tells me they are going to make a website thats not cross and backward compatible and the author doesn't know enough not to use such toys.]

Cross and Backward - don't they make tomato soup or something?

JohnW
JohnW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2004, 12:09   #11
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealeaf
Had a look @ the report 14 pages long, (quite small considering who commisioned it), however they seem to be more interested in peoples income groups rather than what can be done to make it an interesting site for any-one that wishes to use it.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2004, 16:33   #12
God Member

Right......lets have a look and see where HBC have spent our money......(Extracts in red)

EXECUTIVE SUMMARY:

Final paragraph...."The survey suggests that the number of people with internet access is increasing..."

I never knew that. Did you?

USE OF THE INTERNET IN HYNDBURN:

"46% (53% Weighted) use the Internet at home......comparable national figures exist"

So that must be why HBC has blown thousands on this report, to prove that Hyndburn is no different than the rest of the UK. Clever stuff. Good job there's nowt else to spend our money on.

"...65+ year olds who have access to the internet are more likel;y to use it than any other age group......"

I wonder why. You'd think they'd have a job to go to instead of sitting around on their arse all day fooling around on their computer. This is an amazing bit of research finding. I think I shall forward this crucial breakthrough on to the Nobel Prize committee for Economics.

FREQUENT INTERNET USE...IN THE LAST 2 WEEKS (Penultimate paragraph, page 14)

"The table below shows use of the internet for all survey respondents....

TABLE TABLE TABLE....Blah ..Blah.....

...Unfortunatly,the low response levels make it hard to analyse this with any accuracy.."

In other words, everything you've read so far is a load of old bollocks and has statistics go, totally useless! Ah well, into the recycle bin.

Come in Acrylic-Bob....where are you?

Last edited by Tealeaf; 08-10-2004 at 16:35.
Old 08-10-2004, 20:41   #13
God Member

HOPELESS AND BLUDDY HELPLESS!

A fine example of a pointless waste of public money. Is it any wonder that we are heading for a second year of budget deficit? Instead of implementing policies mandated by the electorate they prefer to waste time, effort and resources on this drivel.
It proves, yet again, just how woefully out of touch this council really is.

Incapable of providing the services they were mandated to deliver, in anything like a reasonable manner, they seek to deflect attention from their incompetance by providing the modern equivalent of that good old standby of the Roman Empire, Bread and Circuses. Well, actually, since the site they advertise isn't anything more than a placeholder page, they can't even do that much yet.

Hyndburn Borough Council, Plenty of talk, lots of hot air, but little imagination and less action.

However, they are in for an extremley rude awakening when the site eventually does "Go Live". Always assuming they have the guts to invite comment,that is.

Last edited by Acrylic-bob; 08-10-2004 at 20:42.
Acrylic-bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2004, 23:01   #14
Resident Waffler

What a load of waffle! Not you A-b, the link Tealeaf provided.

Nobody asked me if I have internet access. I wonder how many people were actually asked? Anyone on here?

That's an excercise in how to waste money proving absolutely nothing.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2004, 06:30   #15
God Member

I don't know where they conduct these 'Vox Pops' or surveys. No one from either Accrington Borough Council or Hyndburn Borough Council has ever asked my opinion on anything at any time over the last forty eight years. The only things I can think of are those weary women that occaisionally hang around places like the Arndale Centre, or those marketing surveys that sometimes come through the post with the rest of the garbage from HBC. Apart from these two instances I can think of no other obvious attempt by HBC to gather information from the electorate.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..