Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-03-2010, 23:11   #61
Senior Member+

re: Hyndburn Life - Well Would You Believe it?

The Government gave the money to the Council for the Council to come up with ideas. The council match funded it with European money we had been allocated.

It was 100% a Council decision and it says that in the proposal .
g jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 01-04-2010, 07:51   #62
Give, give, give member

If only there was some of the £591,000.00 left, that was given to be used for community websites.

Costly website a ‘desperate failure’ - Accrington Observer

It could have been used to provide technological help...for a month or two.

Last edited by Neil; 01-04-2010 at 12:05.
garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 08:04   #63
Common Sense Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
If only there was some of the £591,000.00 left, that was given to be used for community websites.

Costly website a ‘desperate failure’ - Accrington Observer

It could have been used to provide technological help...for a month or two.

£591,000???

It is interesting to note that none of that money came directly from Hyndburn Council but how can that figure possibly be justified? Millions of people around the world host fantastic and vastly informative websites for a pittance but this was passed through as a good use of tax revenue and value for money??

Let's just work on the principle that an administrator works two hours a day on maintaining the site on a generous wage of £10 per hour (within which I'll include the cost of the domain name per day) you could run a website for over 80 years.

Even if someone was employed full-time on a wage of £15,000 per year just to update it you could still keep it going for over 39 years for that price.

I'm disgusted with every councillor who voted in favour of this proposal, it is an absolute disgrace.

http://hyndburn-labour.blogspot.co.uk/ - Updates from the Hyndburn Labour Group

Ken Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 08:06   #64
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Moss View Post
£591,000???

It is interesting to note that none of that money came directly from Hyndburn Council but how can that figure possibly be justified? Millions of people around the world host fantastic and vastly informative websites for a pittance but this was passed through as a good use of tax revenue and value for money??

Let's just work on the principle that an administrator works two hours a day on maintaining the site on a generous wage of £10 per hour (within which I'll include the cost of the domain name per day) you could run a website for over 80 years.

Even if someone was employed full-time on a wage of £15,000 per year just to update it you could still keep it going for over 39 years for that price.

I'm disgusted with every councillor who voted in favour of this proposal, it is an absolute disgrace.
Oh dear, I wish I'd not brought out this particular mouldy old chesnut now.

Old 01-04-2010, 08:08   #65
Common Sense Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Oh dear, I wish I'd not brought out this particular mouldy old chesnut now.

I'm glad you did. Any more instances of ludicrous waste that we might all be interested in hearing about again?

(Can opening......worms....cannot be.......contained!!!!)

Last edited by Neil; 01-04-2010 at 12:06.
Old 01-04-2010, 08:13   #66
Give, give, give member

Quote:
I'm glad you did. Any more instances of ludicrous waste that we might all be interested in hearing about again?

(Can opening......worms....cannot be.......contained!!!!)
I haven't got time to read through all the 'threads started by garinda' right now, as Jezzer's about to start, and it's lie detector results day this morning.

Old 01-04-2010, 08:23   #67
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
£591,000???

Just to let you know Ken, you're on one of the:-

Quote:
fantastic and vastly informative websites for a pittance
But with hidden costs such as software updates & Running servers to give it enough space, the bill comes to quite a large pittance each month.

If it wasn't for the regular donations from some members the site would not be here.

Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 08:24   #68
Resting in Peace

And the Mods have just put in for a 20% wage rise too
So we need all the Donations we can get.
Please help the poor site and the Mods

Last edited by Neil; 01-04-2010 at 12:09.
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 08:30   #69
Common Sense Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
Just to let you know Ken, you're on one of the:-

But with hidden costs such as software updates & Running servers to give it enough space, the bill comes to quite a large pittance each month.

If it wasn't for the regular donations from some members the site would not be here.
Oh, I'm sure it's not as simple as I implied it to be but did no one look at that figure and wonder if it was just a tad on the expensive side?

Accyweb is a prime example of a great website, as you just pointed out Less. I use it every day and have started promoting it to residents of Rishton as something they might be very interested in having a look at and getting involved with.

It's a superb central community resource for Hyndburn, well done to all.

Last edited by Neil; 01-04-2010 at 12:10.
Old 01-04-2010, 08:34   #70

Quote:
Oh, I'm sure it's not as simple as I implied it to be but did no one look at that figure and wonder if it was just a tad on the expensive side?

Accyweb is a prime example of a great website, as you just pointed out Less. I use it every day and have started promoting it to residents of Rishton as something they might be very interested in having a look at and getting involved with.

It's a superb central community resource for Hyndburn, well done to all.
You're welcome Ken.

Accrington Web

Old 01-04-2010, 08:57   #71
Common Sense Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
You're welcome Ken.

Accrington Web

I'll cut you a cheque....

But there we have a figure of £200 per month to host the site. Let's be generous and say £250 per month plus put your wages up to £17k per year and have two of you running it full time.

Still means that you've got a website you can run for 15 years for that cost.

Old 01-04-2010, 09:31   #72

Quote:
I'll cut you a cheque....

But there we have a figure of £200 per month to host the site. Let's be generous and say £250 per month plus put your wages up to £17k per year and have two of you running it full time.

Still means that you've got a website you can run for 15 years for that cost.
I will apologise now, the biggest saving the site has is the mod's they do their thankless task for nothing, there are NO wages drawn against accyweb, it was started for what it still is, like, (and not so like), minded people getting together and having discussions.

I think it's time we went back on thread, rindy gave you a link for the report on the council site, maybe we can continue over there?

Last edited by Neil; 01-04-2010 at 12:11.
Old 01-04-2010, 10:40   #73
God Member

Quote:
£591,000???

I don't think the cost was JUST for Hyndburn. It's still ridiculously expensive, but then government projects always are. They never seek to get the best value. Why bother when it's not their money.

andrewb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 10:48   #74
Common Sense Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewb View Post
I don't think the cost was JUST for Hyndburn. It's still ridiculously expensive, but then government projects always are. They never seek to get the best value. Why bother when it's not their money.
Unfortunately Andrew, that's how it reads. If you can direct me to information that states otherwise I'll gladly take a look and reappraise things.

Old 01-04-2010, 10:49   #75
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewb View Post
They never seek to get the best value.
The people of Hyndburn certainly didn't get value for money, when the £591,000.00, given to our council to facilitate a community website, was wasted on the dismal, and now defunct, Hyndburn Life website.

Last edited by Neil; 01-04-2010 at 12:12.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..