Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 20-04-2007, 23:51   #61
God Member

Re: Hyndburn lovely...Official

I always preferred to visit asians rather than Irish tinkers - better hospitality offered.
There I go- will get some bad Karma for that one -just when I scored a few

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 20-04-2007, 23:54   #62
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
think yer way off beam with this one mancie one of me best mates has a west indian missus n we love her to bits,
I don't think I'm off... if anyone can be arsed to look at some posts on this site you will see blatant racism.. and OK i've seen it from some of the mods
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2007, 23:58   #63
God Member

I'm off -will leave you boys at it - bye

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2007, 00:01   #64
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mancie View Post
Afro carribean people in Accrigton?... cor blimey have you got thier phone numbers?.. bull****.. were did you spot em?
can understand you gettin the hump, with those karma comments,but put some salt n vinegar on that chip on yer shoulder.theres always been a few afro-carribeans in accy, was a guy on st james street,early 60s who was very well known n respected, was also a lady who had a cafe on union road at that time, there was fredas cafe which was nearer to our school, but everyone went in hers at dinner time. fredas cafe was english,by the way,but no-one used it.
Old 21-04-2007, 00:04   #65
God Member

An ethnic minority means there are less people of a certain background compared to other groups in a country's population.

Ethnic minorities make up 7.1% of the population in the UK. Of these, 24% are Indian, 17% Pakistani and 13% Black Caribbean. (these figures are from the Commission for Racial Equality)

People with different histories, cultures, beliefs and languages have been coming here for centuries. Nearly everyone who lives in Britain today is either an immigrant or the descendent of an immigrant. Most of us can probably trace the immigrants in our own families if we go back far enough.

Many people in ethnic minority communities are sons and daughters of people who have moved to the UK generations back

well i like where i live
cherokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2007, 00:11   #66
Member.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
can understand you gettin the hump, with those karma comments,but put some salt n vinegar on that chip on yer shoulder.theres always been a few afro-carribeans in accy, was a guy on st james street,early 60s who was very well known n respected, was also a lady who had a cafe on union road at that time, there was fredas cafe which was nearer to our school, but everyone went in hers at dinner time. fredas cafe was english,by the way,but no-one used it.

Their was a nice chap and family friend that worked on the Buses in the mid 60s who was Afro Carrabean always welcome and alway made others feel welcome

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2007, 00:12   #67
God Member

Hang on Cashy.. the comments I got where from I suppose bona fid Accwebbers.. large amounts of karma.. these people are humpted with great Accyweb rep...

Last edited by Mick; 22-04-2007 at 08:08.
Old 21-04-2007, 00:13   #68
Member.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokee View Post
well i like where i live

Why...............

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Old 21-04-2007, 00:20   #69
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug View Post
Why...............

because its washed in DAZ which keeps whites even whiter pmsl!!!!

Last edited by cherokee; 21-04-2007 at 00:23.
Old 21-04-2007, 00:25   #70
Member.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokee View Post
because its washed in DAZ which keeps whites even whiter pmsl!!!!
I hate Daz, My grandmother (the Blackpool one) made me bath in it, she said I was a dirty little ****** and had Tide Marks round my neck.... and muttered something about me being from Accrington....

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Old 21-04-2007, 00:29   #71
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug View Post
I hate Daz, My grandmother (the Blackpool one) made me bath in it, she said I was a dirty little ****** and had Tide Marks round my neck.... and muttered something about me being from Accrington....

ewwwwww did no one tell her that soap got rid of the tidemarks just as well....
Old 21-04-2007, 01:19   #72
Resident Waffler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mancie View Post
Hang on Cashy.. the comments I got where from I suppose bona fid Accwebbers.. large amounts of karma.. these people are humpted with great Accyweb rep... wankers

Well I'm an AccyWebber with the power to add or deduct large lumps of karma but I'm more likely to deduct it from someone who is being racist.

I was actually accused on here of being racist because I stated that I have friends of different colours and ethic origins and regard them all as equal human beings. I was misquoted and then vilified.

There used to be a shop in Whalley Road owned by a West Indian friend of mine who was a dressmaker. She got plenty of business from white people. They didn't boycott her shop or shun her because she's black. She moved away from Accy but only to be close to her daughter who got a job elsewhere.

You will find the odd racist on AccyWeb just as you will find them anywhere but that doesn't make the whole of AccyWeb racist or the whole of Accrington.

You will find negative posts against certain groups of people such as the travellers who camped on Aldi car park and left their rubbish behind and used the supermarket wall as a loo but that is not racism that is disgust at their behaviour which is an affront to the rest of the inhabitants of the borough.

Has your wife experienced racist attacks or comments here in Accrington?

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2007, 01:24   #73
God Member

Methinks everyone protesteth too much.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2007, 01:48   #74
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp View Post

Has your wife experienced racist attacks or comments here in Accrington?
No willow she has not.. but I have have recieved comments of course more in jest than anything and no harm meant... but why do I find myself having to even state to forum that my wife is black.. am I paraniond?.. no.. it's because I have read racist comments from members ,racist comments from the administrators and from the moderators of this site!

Lets see the karma comments again
shut up the nig nogs get everything round here
wake up! the coons are taking over.

nice.. and the 1st comment was very early in the morning when only myself. a mod, and one other where on the site.

Last edited by Mancie; 21-04-2007 at 01:54.
Old 21-04-2007, 08:09   #75
Resident Waffler

I was under the impression that racism was so not permitted on this site that once when someone used a perceived racist word, not with any racist intent but merely as a way of identifying a group of school children who were being criticised by the media because they had been permitted to converse in their native language in order to clarify a point as some were less fluent in English than others, that person was severely reprimanded despite the fact that he had been defending the children's right to understand the lesson.

If you find anything which someone else says on here to be offensive or objectionable then you should report it to the moderators. If you find the moderator to be breaking site rules as you say then you should draw that to their attention.

I have seen instances when some members come out with the old chestnut that immigrants (whatever the current flavour of the month the nationality may be) just come here to this country and get benefits and houses etc which those born here (of whatever creed or colour) are unable to get - and I've seen others point out what absolute nonsense they are talking.

Yesterday someone used the term 'negro' without meaning to be offensive. That was once an accepted term which people didn't use as an insult but it is now classed as racist. You have used the word 'black'. Others regard that as racist and prefer the term 'people of colour' and yet the phrase 'coloured person' is also deemed to be offensive. Well I'm a coloured person. I'm pale pink. Pink is a colour. I have yet to see a black or white person. I've seen some very dark brown people and some very pale beige/pink people but if you analyse skin tones as an artist even white people are a shade of brown.

I find it ironic that people I know with brown skins use a cream to lighten them and people I know with pale kins use a fake tan to darken them. Similarly my daughter who has naturally curly hair straightens hers and the other one who has straight hair uses curling tongues. Maybe none of us are ever happy with who we are and what we are. I'd love to have thicker hair and not to look like a cross between a boiled lobster and an overripe tomato in the summer but I just have to live with the fact that I take after my dad not my Mum.

People do tend to be suspicious of in-comers. Sometimes even to the extent of excluding people from the next village. When my Dad married my Mum he was regarded as an outsider for years because he wasn't born in the village. Busman gets stick for being a southerner and a friend of mine from Yorkshire is forever on the receiving end of 'racist' comments.

I'm pleased to hear that your wife has never been subject to racist abuse here in Accrington. Perhaps then it isn't as bad here as you first made me fear.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..