Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

View Poll Results: Do you think Hyndburn should be called Accrington and District?
Yes 8 47.06%
No 9 52.94%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-06-2007, 12:40   #241
God Member

Re: Hyndburn to be axed.

And living in Great Harwood my postal address is Blackburn too!!!! Whenever someone puts in my postcode in a computer it comes up Great Harwood, Blackburn

As for the name change...it's all pants...i say - i say it's all pants

Also I remember being on holiday few years back and mentioned that I lived in great harwood...response was "great Beanie shop there" and the person lived in South Wales

I know this may come as a shock but believe it or not all views I may air on here are my own work!!!!!
harwood red is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 12-06-2007, 15:27   #242
God Member

[quote=garinda;433895]I think you've been misinformed, and if the borough's signs are changed as regularly as a tramp's underwear, as you suggest, that just shows how financially bankrupt our council is. But they aren't regularly changed for no reason. Fact.

I wasn't trying to suggest that the signs are replaced for no reason.If they weren't ever replaced then they would start to look a mess,scruffy,weather beaten etc so for this reason they are replaced at regular intervals and I am told that this is the reason they are changing the name now whilst the signs are due to be changed anyway so money isn't being spent twice.Makes sense to me.Perhaps you may have been misinformed.
Lilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 15:30   #243
Give, give, give member

[quote=Lilly;434046]
Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
I think you've been misinformed, and if the borough's signs are changed as regularly as a tramp's underwear, as you suggest, that just shows how financially bankrupt our council is. But they aren't regularly changed for no reason. Fact.

I wasn't trying to suggest that the signs are replaced for no reason.If they weren't ever replaced then they would start to look a mess,scruffy,weather beaten etc so for this reason they are replaced at regular intervals and I am told that this is the reason they are changing the name now whilst the signs are due to be changed anyway so money isn't being spent twice.Makes sense to me.Perhaps you may have been misinformed.
Well the four in Ossy look fine and dandy to me, and at five thousand pounds a piece to replace them, I can think of a hundred other ways the twenty thousand pounds to replace just those four, could be better spent in the town.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 15:57   #244
Resident Waffler

I haven't noticed any that need replacing either. I saw an article in a newspaper recently about the futility of change for the sake of change. Even Lawrence Llewellyn-Bowen said it was little short of conning people to make them think that change necessarily equalled improvement.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 16:07   #245
Give, give, give member

All this so reminds me of British Airways. When a few years ago they spent many millions of pound rebranding their logo, from this,

to this.

Then after much public outrage, spent even more money changing it all back.

The planes didn't fly any faster. The trolley dollies were no more beautiful, or efficent. No more people were inspired to invest in shares in the company. In fact it was all just the same service, just more expensive.

Old 12-06-2007, 16:17   #246
Resident Waffler

Where's Maggie with her hankie?

Old 12-06-2007, 17:30   #247
Give, give, give member

The leader of the council and chairman of the area council, Coun Peter Britcliffe, said: "This is typical of the positive responses we've had to the idea.

"Polls running on various websites, and a vox pop carried out by the Lancashire Telegraph, have also been very much in favour of the change.''

Town Rides Crest Of Support (from Lancashire Telegraph)

Not much support so far on here, my old china.

Old 12-06-2007, 17:31   #248
Resident Waffler

Polls running on what websites?

Old 12-06-2007, 17:38   #249
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp View Post
Polls running on what websites?
The Observer, I suspect.

'Do you want your town to have it's own shiny new crest, and it's own identity within the borough?'

Err....massive show of hands.

'Should the council spend an unspecified amount of money changing the name of the borough from Hyndburn to Accrington and Districts, even though each town already has it's own identity already, and really the only problem is that the leader of the council is tired of explaining where Hyndburn is, even though the rest of you have no need to use the name, as you all live in the towns in the borough?'

Err....no thanks.

Old 12-06-2007, 17:39   #250
Resident Waffler

OK, here we go, let's have a poll.

Click here to go to poll.

Old 12-06-2007, 18:10   #251
Resident Waffler

I noticed another thing today that will be defunct if they change the name - that huge lump of carved stone at the bottom of Market Street Church.

Old 12-06-2007, 19:02   #252
God Member

It's funny, as I drive around I see new things that will need to be changed - those little stick on signs on taxis. Not a huge expense admittedly but a cost nonetheless. What I'm really worried about is it just limping in - if you're doing it for the impact and publicity then it has to be a concerted effort.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 20:00   #253
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp View Post
I noticed another thing today that will be defunct if they change the name - that huge lump of carved stone at the bottom of Market Street Church.
What's that Willow ? Will take a look tomorrow.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 23:12   #254
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle View Post
It's funny, as I drive around I see new things that will need to be changed - those little stick on signs on taxis. Not a huge expense admittedly but a cost nonetheless. What I'm really worried about is it just limping in - if you're doing it for the impact and publicity then it has to be a concerted effort.
...as well as all the other things that will need to be changed.

Wheelie bins x 30,000

Recycling bags x 90,000

The fleet of borough vehicles, and God knows how many thousands of trees will have to be felled to cover the stationary.

Then there's the translators fee, to translate Accrington and Districts Borough Council, into four Asian languages.

The list, and the costs, will be endless.

Old 12-06-2007, 23:15   #255
Resident Waffler

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post

Then there's the translators fee, to translate Accrington and Districts Borough Council, into four Asian languages.

and Polish - you forgot Polish.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..