Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

View Poll Results: Do you think Hyndburn should be called Accrington and District?
Yes 8 47.06%
No 9 52.94%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-06-2007, 23:19   #256
Give, give, give member

Re: Hyndburn to be axed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp View Post
and Polish - you forgot Polish.
Do the council's cleaners use expensive Free Trade polish, as well as coffee, which carries the borough's logo?

Oh Polish, as in Poland. Doh.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 13-06-2007, 15:30   #257
God Member

Strange... I had done a search on Hyndburn to see the effect on changing the name...

I didn't do a search on the other which has surprising result... "Accrington and district" gets a lot of hits.. including garth dawsons page which i host and run for him.... i didnt realise i had that in it hehe

So loads of people already use the term.. i really hadn't realised.
Old 13-06-2007, 23:57   #258
Give, give, give member

To test it out, and see how it felt, I typed in another thread, 'Accrington and District', instead of Hyndburn, when referring to this generic area.

Thirteen bloody more letters to type out!

This is dicrimination against the dexterously disabled.

Old 14-06-2007, 05:37   #259
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Well the four in Ossy look fine and dandy to me, and at five thousand pounds a piece to replace them, I can think of a hundred other ways the twenty thousand pounds to replace just those four, could be better spent in the town.
No they don't. The nodding donkey has almost worn off at least 2 of them. Then again they do look better without it.
Old 14-06-2007, 07:17   #260
Resident Waffler

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIPAX View Post
Strange... I had done a search on Hyndburn to see the effect on changing the name...

I didn't do a search on the other which has surprising result... "Accrington and district" gets a lot of hits.. including garth dawsons page which i host and run for him.... i didnt realise i had that in it hehe

So loads of people already use the term.. i really hadn't realised.
Well there you go then - it's already in use without any need for all the palaver of changing the official title of the borough. Job's a good 'un.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2007, 18:19   #261
Resting in Peace

[QUOTE=garinda;434048]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilly View Post

Well the four in Ossy look fine and dandy to me, and at five thousand pounds a piece to replace them, I can think of a hundred other ways the twenty thousand pounds to replace just those four, could be better spent in the town.
Just a further thought from my 'contact' Garinda:-

'As for the cost of a sign... That can vary a great deal. Gateway signs usually have to be designed, then consulted on (to make sure everybody likes them, or that suitable apathy is created that no-one bothers responding), produced, planned for and installed. The only thing I can say for sure is that this will cost more than £20,000. The engineering/installation costs alone could run into £££££.

If you are really that interested, you could take a stab at costing it yourself based on information contained within a publication called SPONS. SPONS publishes the rates of building materials and construction costs nationally (it might be available on the internet). You'd need to cost for:

2X aluminium poles
1X Mounting board with reflective microprismatic cover
Sunday working at 2X workmen (or UGGS as I like to call them)
Sawcut of carriageway
Removal of footway surface materials
Reinstatement of footway surface materials (200mm binder, 750mm sub course, 1500mm concrete, 75mm surface coarse-bitumnious tarmacadam and spray on tac-coat)

As you can probably deduce from the list of materials/work that is required for multiple signs this will surely cost more than £20,000 - but then I'm not sure what the £20,000 is for - maybe it's just for designing the sign.'

Last edited by katex; 14-06-2007 at 18:23.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2007, 18:33   #262
Resident Waffler

What do you reckon the chances are of a fully itemised breakdown of cost before members of the public are officially asked to give their opinions?

Old 14-06-2007, 18:42   #263
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp View Post
What do you reckon the chances are of a fully itemised breakdown of cost before members of the public are officially asked to give their opinions?
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz .. iltch
Old 14-06-2007, 20:32   #264
God Member

[quote=katex;435072]
Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post

Just a further thought from my 'contact' Garinda:-

'As for the cost of a sign... That can vary a great deal. Gateway signs usually have to be designed, then consulted on (to make sure everybody likes them, or that suitable apathy is created that no-one bothers responding), produced, planned for and installed. The only thing I can say for sure is that this will cost more than £20,000. The engineering/installation costs alone could run into £££££.

If you are really that interested, you could take a stab at costing it yourself based on information contained within a publication called SPONS. SPONS publishes the rates of building materials and construction costs nationally (it might be available on the internet). You'd need to cost for:

2X aluminium poles
1X Mounting board with reflective microprismatic cover
Sunday working at 2X workmen (or UGGS as I like to call them)
Sawcut of carriageway
Removal of footway surface materials
Reinstatement of footway surface materials (200mm binder, 750mm sub course, 1500mm concrete, 75mm surface coarse-bitumnious tarmacadam and spray on tac-coat)

As you can probably deduce from the list of materials/work that is required for multiple signs this will surely cost more than £20,000 - but then I'm not sure what the £20,000 is for - maybe it's just for designing the sign.'
£5000 a sign just sounded a lot that's all.I would have thought that they would be done cheaper than that by whichever sign company makes them as there will be a lot being bought.Buying in bulk is usually done at a lesser cost. I'll not bother spending the evening trying to work out the exact cost myself though,I'm not that hard up for something to do.
Lilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2007, 20:49   #265
Resting in Peace

Did you see the Trevor McDonald programme tonight .. about council's waste of money, 4 cases and the public chose the best one Didn't quite catch all of it, but one was by Worcester City Council and the re-branding of their logo, image etc. They got some students to design in an hour against the professionals ... only took them an hour .. think the voting by the passing public was fairly even.

Must admit thought the professional one was the best myself, however, the design alone had cost £ 24,000 !

Can still offer your council the chance to be a candidate on this programme.
Old 15-06-2007, 21:44   #266
Resident Waffler

Well, it would be tempting but we still don't really know how much is going to be wasted on this renaming malarky do we?

Old 15-06-2007, 21:52   #267
God Member

That's all I've been trying to say Willow!
Old 15-06-2007, 22:35   #268
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilly View Post
That's all I've been trying to say Willow!
Exactly Lilly, it is certain members of the council who have quoted a £ 20,000 figure for the 'package' deal .. we are just disputing this as an under-estimate, but, as Willow says, will we get the opportunity to view the breakdown costs ?
Old 15-06-2007, 23:18   #269
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
Exactly Lilly, it is certain members of the council who have quoted a £ 20,000 figure for the 'package' deal .. we are just disputing this as an under-estimate, but, as Willow says, will we get the opportunity to view the breakdown costs ?
Actually Britcliffe cleverly said in the press that the council had put aside £20,000 towards the new signs. He's never said that is going to be the final cost...because it won't be.

Nice bit of spin.

Old 16-06-2007, 09:38   #270
God Member

This morning as I was driving up New Lane I noticed that Peter Britcliffe's house is up for sale.Has he resorted to selling his house to raise the necessary funds? Lol.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..