Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

View Poll Results: Do you think Hyndburn should be called Accrington and District?
Yes 8 47.06%
No 9 52.94%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 16-06-2007, 10:16   #271
Give, give, give member

Re: Hyndburn to be axed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilly View Post
This morning as I was driving up New Lane I noticed that Peter Britcliffe's house is up for sale.Has he resorted to selling his house to raise the necessary funds? Lol.
Lol. Perhaps he's buying Gayle's house, so he can live in the ward he actually represnts.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 16-06-2007, 10:32   #272
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Actually Britcliffe cleverly said in the press that the council had put aside £20,000 towards the new signs. He's never said that is going to be the final cost...because it won't be.

Nice bit of spin.
You right Garinda .. re-read this morning before I saw your post, and certainly spun me ...
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2007, 10:33   #273
God Member

Quote:
Lol. Perhaps he's buying Gayle's house, so he can live in the ward he actually represents.

Nae too many people know were he lives so he is bailing out for his own safety that and a nice fat profit.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2007, 13:31   #274
Resting in Peace

Another type of signpost we have now recently acquired is the blue and white 'Hyndburn' Greenway signs, pointing you to a walk to another 'district'. Would be too small to put in 'Accrington and District Greenway', and can't shorten to Accrington as, say the ones on Henry Street in Church; Church folks would be annoyed. Well, they would have to get bigger signs or make the writing much smaller .. and practically impossible to see.

You also couldn't amend to 'Church' greenway either as directs you to Rishton, Blackburn, etc.well, you could, but the signs at the other end would have to say 'Rishton Greenway, etc' Hope you getting all this. LOL
Old 16-06-2007, 13:37   #275
Give, give, give member

It made me laugh at how many times Hyndburn was referred to in this weekend's Observer. Hyndburn being used to describe the non-generic name for the towns that go to make up this area.

What are they going to say in the future?

The people of Accrington and Districts?

Sounds parochial, divisive, and just a little bit rubbish, if you ask me.

Old 16-06-2007, 14:36   #276
Resident Waffler

Another couple of good point Katex and Garinda.

There's a letter in todays Telegraph referring to 'going back' to the name Accrington & District from someone who can't understand why it was 'changed to Hyndburn' in the first place! It has never ever been Accrington & District. It was never 'changed to' Hyndburn. Hyndburn was created by amalgamation of several separate existing boroughs into one whole. I can't help thinking that a lot of people don't know what they are talking about and are not in possession of the full facts and yet have blindly voted for something because the council has convinced them it will be 'A Good Thing'.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2007, 19:56   #277
God Member

Quote:
Lol. Perhaps he's buying Gayle's house, so he can live in the ward he actually represnts.

The rumours that we're both selling up and setting up home together are completely false.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2007, 22:09   #278

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle View Post
The rumours that we're both selling up and setting up home together are completely false.
Now that is a pity Gayle I thought you had got him to recant his foolish infatuation with the Tory Party and admit he has really been a Labour supporter all the time.
claytonender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2007, 20:43   #279
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp View Post
What do you reckon the chances are of a fully itemised breakdown of cost before members of the public are officially asked to give their opinions?
Can obtain this through 'the Freedom of Information Act'.(like with Councillors/Politicians expenses ) Even polls asking the general public their opinion cost money too. All types of smaller hidden costs, signposts at Scaitcliffe House, and not only the stationery, but badges for the council workers .. the list is endless.

They state 4 Gateway signs, usually most signs of this type are on both sides of the road, do we only have 1 one on the left ?.. will have to investigate.

What was done 33 years ago was done, and whether you agreed then or not, this is not what it is about, it is about spending our money NOW. As far as I am concerned 33 years ago they made the correct decision to integrate the community (usually fired by a cultural division who felt that the district lacked cohesion and needed integrating .. in other words to stop us all kicking each other's heads in ... ) .. I think 'Accrington and District' is a back-step in time.

Cities and towns re-brand all the time to enlarge on what is already there i.e. Manchester rebranded three times in the last 7 years, with the 'City of Doves, Commonwealth Games and most recently the 'multi-lined 'M' motif .. this is all just good marketing on what is already there, and would not have much objection if this were the case,

Eeeew, really on a high horse with this one, I can tell ya' ...

Last edited by katex; 19-06-2007 at 20:45.
Old 19-06-2007, 20:49   #280
God Member

I'm with you on this Katex.

I'd happily sign any petition on this subject.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2007, 22:46   #281

I am with you as well Katex.

I have this sneaking suspicion that Peter Britcliffe thinks the name change is a 'fait accompli'. He has gone about it in the wrong way - making an announcement to the press rather than in a council meeting, is not the correct way to change any policy. Especially one so sensative as renaming the borough. I would like to ask our 'esteemed leader of the council' why he did not include the proposal in the Tory party leaflets before the local election in May. Or did he not want to loose votes by promising to spend an indeterminate amount of money on what is a stupid ill thought out whim.

I am surprised he does not want to call the borough after himself.

The name Hyndburn might not be perfect but it was chosen in 1974 so that none of the local authorities that merged was made to appear to be more important than any other. I am proud to be a resident of both Clayton-le-Moors and Hyndburn, but am not happy at the thought of living in ' Accrington and District'. It makes it sound as though Accrington is more important than the other areas of the borough.

Maybe the name of the borough should be ALTHAM and DISTRICT. As the original parish of Altham probably covered most of the are of the present day borough of Hyndburn.
Old 19-06-2007, 22:48   #282
Resident Waffler

I'm right behind you.

Apart from the sheer waste of money on a silly whim, this says it all

Quote:
The name Hyndburn might not be perfect but it was chosen in 1974 so that none of the local authorities that merged was made to appear to be more important than any other. I am proud to be a resident of both Clayton-le-Moors and Hyndburn, but am not happy at the thought of living in ' Accrington and District'. It makes it sound as though Accrington is more important than the other areas of the borough.

Old 19-06-2007, 22:51   #283
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by claytonender View Post
I am surprised he does not want to call the borough after himself.
St. Petersburg and Districts Borough Council does have a certain panache, and I'm sure the logo on the wheelie bins would look simply fabulous.

Old 19-06-2007, 22:57   #284
Resident Waffler

The new coat of arms could perhaps be a Faberge egg rampant. Can you have a rampant egg?

Old 19-06-2007, 23:02   #285

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp View Post
The new coat of arms could perhaps be a Faberge egg rampant. Can you have a rampant egg?
I am sure Peter could arrange it.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..