Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

View Poll Results: Do you think Hyndburn should be called Accrington and District?
Yes 8 47.06%
No 9 52.94%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 16-07-2007, 23:10   #301
God Member

Re: Hyndburn to be axed.

Hyndburn = female deer at a stream.
Accrington and District = Accrington and the surrounding area.

I know which I prefer.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 16-07-2007, 23:26   #302
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPUGGIE J View Post
Hyndburn = female deer at a stream.
Accrington and District = Accrington and the surrounding area.

I know which I prefer.
Which ???? Ambiguous !
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2007, 23:31   #303
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
Which ???? Ambiguous !
its obvious Accrington and the Surrounding Area.
Old 16-07-2007, 23:35   #304
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
its obvious Accrington and the Surrounding Area.
Ya reckon Cashy ? Still not sure .. with living in Scotland thought he might have leanings to 'Deer at Stream' and all that art/nature stuff.. Spuggie ! Explain if you please.
Old 16-07-2007, 23:40   #305
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Ya reckon Cashy ? Still not sure .. with living in Scotland thought he might have leanings to 'Deer at Stream' and all that art/nature stuff.. Spuggie ! Explain if you please.
dont honestly know just thought you might bite.
Old 16-07-2007, 23:44   #306
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
dont honestly know just thought you might bite.
Well, I did really, but thought I would conteract the bait by playing stupid ... woman's trick, ya know.

Anyway ... LONG LIVE THE DEER'S HEAD, that's what I say.
Old 16-07-2007, 23:53   #307
God Member

Quote:
Cashy is right. Besides when was the last time you saw a deer having a gulp out of the River Stink oh and are there deer in the district of Hyndburn?? I have seen the resident ones around Grangemouth on several occasions as of late.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

Old 17-07-2007, 07:24   #308
Resident Waffler

Quote:
Besides when was the last time you saw a deer having a gulp out of the River Stink oh and are there deer in the district of Hyndburn??
That's a self defeating question because as you very well know it isn't called the River Stink. It's called the River Hyndburn. The name wasn't just invented when the borough was created. The name was taken from the river which runs through it (sounds like something somebody could make a film about, that does) so you can hardly pick on the name itself and say it is inappropriately out of context for the name of a stinky northern town can you?

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2007, 07:26   #309

merge it with lancashire county council
mrjdallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2007, 12:05   #310
Senior Member+

deer still to be seen in and around
the read garden center area
not quite hyndburn ill grant you

like i've never been gone
beechy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2007, 11:30   #311
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Besides when was the last time you saw a deer having a gulp out of the River Stink oh and are there deer in the district of Hyndburn??
Spuggie .. get over this River Stink label ... did have a certain smell at one time, due to the effluence that was dumped in there. Was totally due to all the industries we had here, which gave our past generations a living. Things tightened up now and River OK, unfortunately, our industries are not.

See Peter Britcliffe is determined to have his own way on this.

Done a piece on the front of 'The Herald'.

He is reverting back to the change still 33 years ago and states "Why on earth someone tried to brand the surrrounding towns as Hyndburn is beyond my wit" (what a peculiar expression and open to questioning his wit ). Calling it 'a grave injustice' .. oh dear, do we have to explain it all again to this guy .. brought us all together Peter under one umbrella and to stop us 'districts' from being segregated from the bigger town of Accy.

Says it is to promote our townships !! Think they are doing OK on their own thank you very much.. Ossie now quite famous and we, the public, already promote our town by stating come from C-L-M, etc. Getting now weary of pushing this point; he still justifies this proposed change by insisting we all state we are from Hyndburn.

Still insists won't cost us a penny in extra Council Tax. Ok, take the point that signs were going to be replaced anyway, but design costs are the heaviest here, and would definintely need a new logo. Says all the 'signage' (he likes this word), has been budgeted for.

Letterheads are computer generated ;still has to have the introduction of a new logo though, doesn't it ?

Vehicles livery will be changed as and when are the vehicles .. so could be some time then.

There are various Area Council Meetings going on around the borough re. this issue .. unfortunately, have to work next week for the Clayton le Moors one, 25th July, as would certainly be present. Please someone go to one of these and report back to us.

Ends by saying:"It's time to rectify the mistakes of 33 years ago. Be bold- I know I will" More like stubborn/bloody minded and altogether power drunk.

Even Greg Pope stated in his article 2 weeks ago that "if we are going to have a name change should not be at the 'whim' of the leader of the council.
Enough of Peter having all the power, I say power to the people by way of referendum"

And so say I ...
Old 18-07-2007, 13:12   #312
God Member

One striking thing I have noticed about today's River Stink is the absence of used condoms. I know that when I was a lad we used to see them everywhere along the river by Nelson Square; now, you don't see one. It is not as though the filtration and purification systems have changed - they are still located downstream of Church. So what is going on? Are the people of Accy and Districts not practising safe sex or what? Can anyone advise?
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2007, 14:18   #313
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealeaf View Post
One striking thing I have noticed about today's River Stink is the absence of used condoms. I know that when I was a lad we used to see them everywhere along the river by Nelson Square; now, you don't see one. It is not as though the filtration and purification systems have changed - they are still located downstream of Church. So what is going on? Are the people of Accy and Districts not practising safe sex or what? Can anyone advise?
LOL .. trust you Tealeaf

Sure I don't know the answer to this one .. maybe not as much going on in the open air so to speak.

Perhap Mr. Britcliffe may have the answer to 'The Missing Condoms' hidden deep in the files of Scaitcliffe House, seems to think he has all the solutions to our well-being on other subjects ..
Old 18-07-2007, 20:35   #314
God Member

Keep the logo change the name. That way everyone gets what they want well I think they will any.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

Old 18-07-2007, 21:05   #315
Resident Waffler

No they won't Spuggie. We'll get an absolutely ludicrous situation with upteen dozen organisations named after a borough that once existed! They can't all be expected to change their names too can they? All at the whim of one man who can't see how pointless it all is.

It won't benefit us anything. It will cost us money. It will cause confusion and it's an insult to the past 33 years of the Borough.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..